U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM

756 posts, read 878,236 times

Advertisements

Don't get too excited. People in Montana (most of them) aren't running around like lunatics hating on Californians. Most of us think California is a nice place to visit. Most of us would not like to see our state look like California in some (perhaps many) ways, but I have found that to be true of the way California is viewed by most of the rest of the country. Some of it is based on fact, some of it is based on stereotypes....

It comes down to you as an individual. If you're a nice person who has come to Montana to enjoy it for what it is, everyone will treat you that way. If you're kind of a jerk, people will likely attribute at least some of your behavior to the fact that you are from California, lol, and use your behavior as an individual to reinforce the stereotypes. But there are plenty of native Montanan jerks, and every other kind.

It WILL be harder for you to be involved in the community if you're looking to make a change--just be aware that anything you try to do will be view with suspicion, even if it's a reasonable change you're trying to make. The same idea presented by a non-transplant might be accepted. Just a thing. Not unique to Montana when it comes to "outsiders" trying to have a say in their new community. Takes a little time to build some credibility, unfair as that might be.

No worries, people here are mainly live and let live. Yes, if you go on and on about where you are from, or if you complain much about the weather people will give you a hard time or be a little condescending. I can complain about it; I'm from here lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:28 PM

23 posts, read 62,359 times
Default Why Move if You Prefer Where You Came From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The Californians that do not get accepted here in Montana, are the ones with the big chip on their shoulder that go around telling everyone how much better things are done in California. How his is done in California and will be so glad when Montana moves into the current century and do things like they do them California.
Sorry for being an ignorant Californian, but why exactly do you say this? I honestly do not know. Boy let me tell you the ways how much worse California does things! Why would someone move from California to Montana except for the fact that they prefer Montana lifestyle, environment, people, work situation, culture, weather, etc.? Otherwise they would not have left. Please explain your assertions! Here in California we have urban areas, vast rural areas, wilderness, cities with almost indescribable poverty, low income, high income...so why move to Montana unless you are planning to embrace Montana? I sure would if I could afford to move and if my kids' grandparents were there.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 745 times
We realy mind people moving here but we are cautious about them cause we don't like their ideals pushed on us so we kick them out. We are a very constitutional state we love how our land looks we love our freedoms our God and our guns and we will fight to keep them to the bitter end and if you do move here get thicked skinned because it is very rough out here even billings is tough.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 110,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calstorm View Post
I know that many states have a negative view of people in California, and I was wondering if people in Montana had a similar view. I am moving to Montana so, and was thinking I should mention it as little as possible. I am from a rural area so I hope it isn't painfully obvious.
Funny, when we moved to Oregon from CA, we noticed a resentment and apprehension of Californians but not to us personally. When we moved to Prescott AZ, it was very evident that they were not fond of Californians coming to their small town. Locals were afraid people from CA would try to change the town. The truth is that people from CA (us included) are desperate to get away from ANYTHING California-like. Prescott was our answer but unfortunately it is getting way too big not from just Californians but those from the colder states (especially Minnesota where there is a large contingent). Anyway, people from CA just have a bad rap but how unfair to judge all of them on a few? When we move to MT from AZ, we probably won't be judged as harshly.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM

726 posts, read 921,889 times
My understanding is in the 80s it was really bad to where you'd want to hide your CA license plate.

These days in Kalispell it's rare to meet local natives. Most people I meet moved there in the last 20 years.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,590,164 times
I've been in Bozeman and Billings. At the time, I had left So. California/Anaheim area and was looking for somewhere to live that was much more "Western" related than where I had lived. I had been involved in pro-rodeo for a few years, mostly working for Stock Contractors doing rodeo's in So California. I did have a Permit with PRCA for Team Roping, but wasn't doing it when I left California. Had sold my horse, but kept saddle/ropes.

Anyway, I was staying at a weekly motel on the edge of Billings and one morning decided to go into the Billings Main Library. I had a Datsun King Cab that had, unfortunately, a California license plate on it. I was wearing Wrangler jeans, Roper boots, a Resistol straw hat. So, to me, I "fit in" with Billings. When I came out of the library, there was a small note under a windshield wiper saying........."if you are going to stay in Billings, change your license plate, if not, please leave!" My PRCA Member sticker was on the windshield, but they didn't care about that. They seen my plate and that was that! They didn't see what I looked like either. Heck, I even visited the Billings Livestock Yards and fit in perfectly (clothing and livestock knowledge I had).

To be totally honest, I truly understand why the note was placed there and here's why: The next day I read in local paper where a suspected murderer was captured at a local motel who had an ID from California. To be specific, from Palm Springs where a murder had occurred and he was the suspect.

Just a little more info: I had stayed in So California when I got out of the Navy in San Diego. Originally raised in NE Indiana on a hog farm. One thing I learned in the Navy, to say "ma'am" to a lady Navy Officer. That is one word that is definitely not used outside the military in So California. Don't know how many times I was reprimanded by a lady for saying that. Also, a lot of people in So California don't say "good morning" like in other parts of the U.S.. I said "Good Morning" to a lady coming out of a Post Office in Anaheim and the lady looked at me and said "we don't say that here".

Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
My understanding is in the 80s it was really bad to where you'd want to hide your CA license plate.
In 1981, drivers in Oregon tried to run me off the road, two separate incidents inside of about 10 miles. This was on I-5 about 50 miles south of Portland... (the second was sufficiently persistent that I wound up braking hard to veer onto the next available exit. South Portland is not the scenic route) ...and I had Montana plates.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 PM

88 posts, read 110,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudShan View Post
Sorry for being an ignorant Californian, but why exactly do you say this? I honestly do not know. Boy let me tell you the ways how much worse California does things! Why would someone move from California to Montana except for the fact that they prefer Montana lifestyle, environment, people, work situation, culture, weather, etc.? Otherwise they would not have left. Please explain your assertions! Here in California we have urban areas, vast rural areas, wilderness, cities with almost indescribable poverty, low income, high income...so why move to Montana unless you are planning to embrace Montana? I sure would if I could afford to move and if my kids' grandparents were there.
Exactly, totally agree DudShan! Hubs and I left CA because we didn't like it there!! Moving to Montana would be to get away from anything Californian. Yet, people feel that just because someone used to live in CA, something has to be wrong with them. Sigh!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
California is not monolithic. Outside of the metro areas, it's rather more like the rest of the western US. I've suggested pinching off San Francisco and turning it into Hong Kong West, as a way to quickly improve the whole of California..

In fact, there are enough dissatisfied Californians in the more-rural counties that there's a serious movement toward separating most of the north half off as the State of Jefferson.

Map: Filed Declarations - Official State of Jefferson Movement

Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,535,991 times
Some of the coolest Montanans I know are Californians.

The best Californians, I should add, are the ones who don't apologize to nativist Montanans for being from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or