U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,541,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihime View Post
We realy mind people moving here but we are cautious about them cause we don't like their ideals pushed on us so we kick them out. We are a very constitutional state we love how our land looks we love our freedoms our God and our guns and we will fight to keep them to the bitter end and if you do move here get thicked skinned because it is very rough out here even billings is tough.
God, how did I miss this one?

Sometimes I think the scariest thing about the Montana Forum is that there's somebody, somewhere out there, taking this stuff seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,340,391 times
Default Well I knew it was bound to happen...........

Well I knew it was bound to happen.............the unimproved 13 acres on my east side was bought by, guess who ,...a "trust-fairian" from the land of "fruits and nuts"!!
I have had my privacy and not be able to see another house since I bought my 14 acres back in the spring of 1976.......
First thing this guy did last winter, was hire a local small general contractor and paid him $1200/per day to: cut down about 50 trees (aspen, pondarosa, lodgepole and hemlock), that were under 8 inches in dia; 2nd thing was to clear out ALL THE UNDER-GROWTH ( various specie of bushes, vines, wild rose bushes, alder etc), and then burn the slash piles for about 6 weeks during this last spring............(Now he is wondering why he has no wildlife on his place)...In reality all this clearing (8 days worth) did was increase the numbers and species of wildlife on my uncleared 14 acres by about 50%.
The one positive aspect of having this particular family is: they have two adult daughters that live on the west coast and one 16 yr old daughter who is.... dating a local family's son who is a very nice, quite boy who is in 4 H and a straight A student.........so no trail bikes, atvs etc.
I already told them that I am a handloader and periodically will be using my 100yd shooting range and 25 yd pistol set up as well as shooting clay birds on occasion.........welcome to the boonies in Montana

Old 07-07-2017, 03:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 4,022,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well I knew it was bound to happen.............the unimproved 13 acres on my east side was bought by, guess who ,...a "trust-fairian" from the land of "fruits and nuts"!!
I have had my privacy and not be able to see another house since I bought my 14 acres back in the spring of 1976.......
First thing this guy did last winter, was hire a local small general contractor and paid him $1200/per day to: cut down about 50 trees (aspen, pondarosa, lodgepole and hemlock), that were under 8 inches in dia; 2nd thing was to clear out ALL THE UNDER-GROWTH ( various specie of bushes, vines, wild rose bushes, alder etc), and then burn the slash piles for about 6 weeks during this last spring............(Now he is wondering why he has no wildlife on his place)...In reality all this clearing (8 days worth) did was increase the numbers and species of wildlife on my uncleared 14 acres by about 50%.
The one positive aspect of having this particular family is: they have two adult daughters that live on the west coast and one 16 yr old daughter who is.... dating a local family's son who is a very nice, quite boy who is in 4 H and a straight A student.........so no trail bikes, atvs etc.
I already told them that I am a handloader and periodically will be using my 100yd shooting range and 25 yd pistol set up as well as shooting clay birds on occasion.........welcome to the boonies in Montana
Well maybe he was worried about wildfire, which is a legitimate concern.

I think you'll be considerably happier with a trustfunder neighbor than a completely broke one. At least he'll have money for his half of fence upkeep. So if you have to have a neighbor, you can have a good fence.

Last edited by historyfan; 07-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM

4,914 posts, read 5,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Well maybe he was worried about wildfire, which is a legitimate concern.

I think you'll be considerably happier with a trustfunder neighbor than a completely broke one. At least he'll have money for his half of fence upkeep. So if you have to have a neighbor, you can have a good fence.
Montana is open range law, what you don't want in your place, you fence out. IF it's an agreed upon fence then yeah, he should pay half, but if you're trying to keep the peace and fence him out, it's all on you.

Griz, sorry to hear that. It's always sad when that happens, but you can't stop it.

At least he'll get a good neighbor out of the deal.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 4,022,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Montana is open range law, what you don't want in your place, you fence out. IF it's an agreed upon fence then yeah, he should pay half, but if you're trying to keep the peace and fence him out, it's all on you.

Griz, sorry to hear that. It's always sad when that happens, but you can't stop it.

At least he'll get a good neighbor out of the deal.
Yeah--sheep, stud horses, and goats fenced in...cattle & horses out.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 AM

7,728 posts, read 9,024,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
God, how did I miss this one?

Sometimes I think the scariest thing about the Montana Forum is that there's somebody, somewhere out there, taking this stuff seriously.
I think a fair amount of people take this seriously.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 AM

16 posts, read 33,301 times
Maybe you should move back to California, dude.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM

148 posts, read 123,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihime View Post
We realy mind people moving here but we are cautious about them cause we don't like their ideals pushed on us so we kick them out. We are a very constitutional state we love how our land looks we love our freedoms our God and our guns and we will fight to keep them to the bitter end and if you do move here get thicked skinned because it is very rough out here even billings is tough.
Pretty much agreed, good post.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM

22 posts, read 27,386 times
All of my Famaly that is from Cali has relocated & although I have gotten annoyed by Californians I completely understand why they would leave & I would do the same. I mean 39.25 mill people, $1440-$3800 for a 1bd apt & a 12.3% income tax not to mention earth quakes yea I'll take a -30 Montana winter any day thank you.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 488 times
I need some help from a kind hearted person from Montana. I'm almost 21 years old and my husband is almost 22, though please don't stereotype us. We do have an 11 month old son, and I am about 4 weeks pregnant. The worst part is that I have Chronic Lyme Disease and a very bad back from multiple things including a car accident. I'm neurologically and physically disabled. We're barely getting by here financially with the help of welfare.
We decided to move out of state when we found out I was pregnant. We hate California. We hate the gun laws. We dislike the people very much. Our family is here, but we would be a million times happier in a secluded, completely different environment. Where people have manners and morals. Where people learn to get through the struggles of, for example with montana, weather and job hunting and driving to another town for an errand, to be able to enjoy all the benefits that the state brings. We've never fit in here. We keep to ourselves for that very reason. Because we have morals and respect, and no one else does. It's too busy here as well.
We aren't experienced in the typical Montana activities, but we respect them and would hope that we would be welcomed despite that. We would fight for the life that Montana has to offer. My husband and I have been through hell and back with life constantly, and we're prepared to learn to do anything to be happy and raise our family the way it properly should be. Not in California where the kids have no manners or respect. We've searched the state's and we know the downfalls montana has to offer, but we're so miserable in this state of California, the struggles would be worth it.
Would anyone reach out from Montana to tell me what they know, what I should know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or