U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 AM

958 posts, read 800,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
The two big questions are...

Where in California are you living? CA is not monolithic; you might find a more congenial part closer to home and family. Myself, I'm fond of the deserts and the Owens Valley, but absolutely hate the Bay area.

What does your husband do for work? While MT has relatively low unemployment, it also has relatively few job prospects, and a far smaller welfare system.

Me, I grew up in MT, lived 28 years in SoCal, and am now back in MT.
They are obviously are going to be miserable wherever they are... because nobody else but them has morals! What pious, self-important crap. I bet they votef for Trump, that man of high morals. Also, it cracks me up to see people say, in the same paragraph, how much they love freedom... while boasting about chasing people out of state. Lol... so freedom, such brave.

Oh, and kids, not only can you not eat scenery, you cant eat good gun laws either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,611,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinready View Post
The town makes jobs of cutting down all the older trees which is the most ridiculous thing I have seen a town do!
So the shade is taken from our streets- the noise pollution is bad- no noise ordinance-
If the town is doing that, and if it's not trees being taken out due to Dutch elm disease or emerald ash borers... destruction of mature trees is a disease caught from California, where tree services have convinced everyone that all trees (even pines!) need to be topped regularly, which creates a regular revenue stream for the tree service (since once topped, the trees become unstable and MUST be cut back hard every few years) and in a dry climate, sooner or later this kills the trees.

Most of the roads in the desert north of Los Angeles used to be lined with trees, mostly elms. They'd been planted in the 19'40s and had ZERO maintenance and NO supplemental water, yet they looked great -- big healthy trees shading the desert roads was wonderful, and because they had mature root systems they did well even during prolonged droughts.

About 15 years ago L.A. county got convinced to "maintain" these trees, to the tune of $2 million in taxpayer dollars per year. The lucky tree service who won the contract (funny thing, the same one who lobbied for it) proceeded to top all these trees, which forces them to regrow their entire food-generating system (ie. leaves which perforce will be on suckers) which in turn makes them need a LOT more water, and they also become susceptible to wind damage since the regrown branches are from bark buds and are not attached to the old wood. Yeah, they look thick and bushy for a couple years, but that won't last. And out in the desert, any unpainted and unhealed break in the bark soon attracts ground termites.

Within 3 years, all of these abused trees had died, or were at death's door. And now the tree service got a new job, cutting down the dead trunks and grinding the stumps! (because it would be horrible if they came back from the stumps, as elms are prone to do, albeit not always as stable wood.) And supposedly they were going to be paid to replant trees too, but (as of when I left in 2012) that never happened, and in any case would now require irrigation, which ain't happening there.

I wish I had pictures of the before and after, the difference was shocking. In one case a tree along the road had a twin about 50 yards back which being on private property escaped the abuse, so anyone driving by could see the effects in realtime -- one perfect mature tree still doing well after five years of hard drought, one chopped back so it was just a trunk covered in suckers, and soon entirely dead.

The main drag in Sherman Oaks used to have huge mature pine trees -- gorgeous and shady. The city got convinced to top them, and of course pines do even worse since they don't regenerate branches like deciduous trees do -- not only did they look horrible, they all died within two years. Your tax dollars at work; it cost somewhere around $5 million bucks to destroy these trees and remove the resulting detritus.

A few municipalities have taken note of both the damage and the public hazard caused by topping (because topped trees are prone to drop big branches in every high wind), and have made it illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinready View Post
The amount of obese people has increased so much that if I were a statistician I would try to find out what is causing this.
You think it's bad here, wait til you get back to California, where there's all that "healthy eating".

The ultimate cause of the "obesity epidemic" is probably the switch in the 1960s from lard to soybean oil. Soy (and worse, flaxseed) contains high levels of phytoestrogen, which is a thyroid inhibitor, and even a little drop in thyroid levels causes both sugar craving (you don't need to add "refined sugar", people with that craving will always shift toward eating more carbs to alleviate the hypothyroid brain's glucose starvation) and slow, steady, unstoppable weight gain (and it will typically be mostly belly fat). Everything else, INCLUDING all the stuff we think of as "obesity-related disease" follows from that. And yeah, for the most part medicine is looking at and treating the wrong end of the horse. Thyroid affects everything, yet instead of being the first thing looked at for a chronic condition (which obesity is), it's always the last resort.

And when you see reasonably normal-weight parents with grossly-overweight little kids? Check that "healthy" breakfast cereal those kids are eating. Dollars to donuts it contains flaxseed meal, which has 3 times the phytoestrogen of soy.

If you want to see what normal humans looked like before soybean oil replaced lard, check out the old westerns on Youtube, or just about anything filmed before 1960. The average person then was lean even compared to what we now consider "normal weight", and that includes everyone, not just the stars. Obesity used to be confined to people with pituitary and thyroid disorders, and there might be one fat kid in a thousand; now being chunky is the norm, even among kids.

I could go on and on and on... I read the Journal of Endocrinology, so you don't have to.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 PM

160 posts, read 235,716 times
Rez,

Great knowledge. And you have the patience of a saint.

Can whomever turned on this site's douche’ magnet please turn it off.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
Rez,

Great knowledge. And you have the patience of a saint.
[bowing] Should have my head examined, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
Can whomever turned on this site's douche’ magnet please turn it off.
Noticed it seems to be running at full power lately...

Old 08-29-2017, 05:39 AM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Oh, and kids, not only can you not eat scenery, you cant eat good gun laws either...
Isn't it weird how good gun laws take precedence over having good paying jobs and being able to afford to live somewhere? I always thought those were messed up priorities. I say this as a gun owning hunter.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Without good gun laws (which is to say, a general lack of gun laws) pretty soon the good-paying jobs are all in government and the neighborhood goes to hell. I cite Washington D.C. as the prime example.

It's the priority that sets the stage for other priorities, like getting to keep at least some of what you earn.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM

727 posts, read 930,766 times
What place has retained its culture and way of life with a steady influx of culturally and economically diverse outsiders?

For starters, growing populations change places permanently. Even if every outsider pouring into Montana adopted the local Montana culture and way of life, your favorite hunting/fishing/birding spot would start getting crowded. Eventually, like parts of California, crowds would shape the lifestyle and change the landscape forever.

Certainly native Montanans could go out of their way to welcome outsiders and caution them not to change things, and offer free lifestyle training courses (and badges and public recognition). Of course this sort of intrusion goes against the native Montanan way, so it will never happen.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Without good gun laws (which is to say, a general lack of gun laws) pretty soon the good-paying jobs are all in government and the neighborhood goes to hell. I cite Washington D.C. as the prime example.

It's the priority that sets the stage for other priorities, like getting to keep at least some of what you earn.
Good paying jobs only in government? How do you figure?

Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM

D.C. has another kind of job??

Old 08-29-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
D.C. has another kind of job??
How are gun laws, DC, and government jobs all related in this case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or