U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 15,808 times

Advertisements

Morning ya'll.....so we moved to Nederland, CO from NJ a year or so ago and are now looking for something much more remote but close enough to a grocery store. We started looking in Whitefish but it seems a little too crowded for us. We r in our late 30's and my husband is a computer programmer so we work from home. We found a nice home in Sulphur Springs but just wanted to inquire about it. Where is the closest international airport? Is there a major hospital nearby? Do you need AC in the summer?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for more privacy and peacefulness.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,769,245 times
Nearest regional airport: Helena
Nearest international airport: Billings
Hospitals, there is a small hospital in White Sulphur, larger hospitals in Helena and Great Falls, nearest major hospital is in Billings.

There are grocery stores in White Sulphur, and as for AC, you can live without it, but it is a convenience that many have.

Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM

4,174 posts, read 2,460,868 times
WSS is a relatively remote town in Montana. MTSilvertip is spot on with her assesment. I'll mention the hospital in WSS was on the verge of closing a few years ago until they found some donations. I'd be nervous that they'll close their door soon. I guess the next closest small town hospital would be Townsend?

Helena is about 1-1 1/2 hours from WSS. Great Falls is 1 1/2-2 hours. Billings is 2 1/2 hours.

White Sulphur Springs is a pretty area but it does smell like sulphur sometimes. Houses are affordable because there isn't much there and it's not within a reasonable commuting distance to a larger town.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:51 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,769,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
WSS is a relatively remote town in Montana. MTSilvertip is spot on with her assesment. I'll mention the hospital in WSS was on the verge of closing a few years ago until they found some donations. I'd be nervous that they'll close their door soon. I guess the next closest small town hospital would be Townsend?

Helena is about 1-1 1/2 hours from WSS. Great Falls is 1 1/2-2 hours. Billings is 2 1/2 hours.

White Sulphur Springs is a pretty area but it does smell like sulphur sometimes. Houses are affordable because there isn't much there and it's not within a reasonable commuting distance to a larger town.
Just an FYI, MtSilvertip is a guy!! Don't let the beard fool ya

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM

629 posts, read 1,440,389 times
I probably sound like a broken record to others on the Montana board for this, but does
Quote:
"...found a nice home...."
mean that you've actually been there and visited WSS or that you found a home for sale online?

Standard advice, always rent for 6 months to a year in a new location before you buy.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just an FYI, MtSilvertip is a guy!! Don't let the beard fool ya
My apologies, good sir!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,596,949 times
Actually the closest international airport is Great Falls at 102 miles versus Billings Logan at 147 miles.

Main | Great Falls International Airport Fly GTF Airport

With that being said one should look at overall drive time versus true mileage when determining the length of time it takes to travel from WSS to either airport.
Also ticket price is another very large determining factor.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 AM

As far as a major airport, your options narrow to Salt Lake City almost 500 miles away, Calgary, AB just over 400 miles away or if one considers Spokane a major airport, that's just under 400 miles away. Flying out of the airports in Montana can get spendy because we're not on the way for anyone so it's all regional aircraft. You'll have at least one layover no matter where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or