U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
20 posts, read 49,115 times
Reputation: 19


I read somewhere that if you move into or live in an underperforming school district, you can send your kids to the next closest district. Obviously, there would be a lot of details involved in such a program. However, I cannot find where I initially read it and I need far more detail than what I have now. Does anyone have any detail on this program? Does it exist? What is the name of the program? What are the criteria? Any information or a point in the right direction would be helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Location: Where the mountains touch the sky
4,910 posts, read 5,794,767 times
Reputation: 8282
Don't know about underperforming, but mostly it is based on distance. If you live in a school district where the kids would have to be bussed over so many miles, (I think it is 30, but not sure) the district may opt to allow you to send your kids to a school in another district and pay tuition if the school there is closer.

Jefferson county does this a lot with the high school located in Boulder, but most of the kids are 20+ miles away in Montana City, so the district pays a tuition, (usually far below the actual cost paid by taxpayers in the district) and sends the kids about 5 miles to the high school in Helena.

That happens a lot in Montana where school districts may be huge and the kids would have to be on a buss for 2+ hours per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
4,720 posts, read 4,013,639 times
Reputation: 9859
It is a part of the "No child left behind" legislation. If your District fails to make annual yearly progress for a certain number of years in a row (I believe 3 years), then the District will notify you about your options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top