U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:02 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,482,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I've seen some pictures and it just doesn't look nice at all.
Define "dive". Define "doesn't look nice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 39,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippperhead View Post
I like the low crime. It is a great place to raise a family. You don't need to carry a gun to feel safe, in the city. If you have a degree, you can find upper eschelon jobs. however, many jobs don't pay a lot when one has the misfortune to work in the service industry. I am fortunate to live in a house thats paid for so my bills are cheap. Many jobs are only part time or seasonal, so if one doesn't have money or good circumstances, you will struggle to survive and I am sure many people had to move to places out of state to survive.many service industry jobs underhire and pass the joys of doing extra work to whoever is working there.Another good one is when looking for a job, i have found it may take weeks or months for an interview for a job in the local job service bank! In short, they take their old sweet time here! If i was starving and broke, i would be dead and get a call for an interview after I was buried 3 months later!
This is great information that we have been waiting for! My husband, 2-year-old daughter and I are moving to Montana in April of next year and we are torn between Helena and Missoula (actually, anywhere in Western Montana is fine as long as we can get a job ). We've been planning this move for almost two years now so there has been many hours of research put in to this. Based on what we've read in the Helena IR and the Missoulian, Missoula seems to have more opportunities as far as jobs are concerned.

We drove to Montana last year beginning the end of September through the first week of October (4,300 miles round trip in 8 days ). We went up through Wyoming, spent the night in Cooke City, and then made our way through the top of Yellowstone on up to Helena. Helena would be perfect for us to raise our little family based on what we got to see in 2 days. The people are nice and welcoming, houses are clean and well kept (even in the lower income parts of town), and it's just the right size, not too big and not too small. We're a young couple that doesn't have a lot to speak for, but we don't want for much either. Just a healthy environment to raise our daughter and some where that will indulge our love of the great outdoors.

I am currently working on my degree in accounting and my husband works in the commercial tire industry (tire service is needed no matter where you are). I have approximately 10 years experience in the service industry (raised in Destin, FL) and was also an office manager for a construction company for 6 years. Sorry if I sound like I'm being interviewed, but any inside tips based on the info I've listed above would be greatly appreciated. This is a BIG move for us and we just want to make sure we make the best decisions for out little girl.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM

33 posts, read 90,703 times
There are more factors to consider before moving here(Helena).If you have done the research as you say then good. This is a good place for your little girl. I moved here from Florida(Gainesville). You don't have to worry about the most heinous things happening to your child. However, prudence in watching your children is good even if there were no people no other people within 50 miles of you, if you know what I mean. I hear there are problems with Meth here and teenage drinking, pregnancy....Either, I don't notice a meth problem here, for I don't go out that much and keep to myself mostly, or it is overstated. After living in Florida for 18 years..I know and have seen friends of mine get eaten alive by drugs and most cases have died. I know what drug problems look like and act like, smell like and so forth. I wish I knew the true extent of the problem in Helena, or the truth of the possible overstatement of the problem... Other Helenites care to elaborate???? Lastly if you type in helena mt jobs in your search engine, you should get the state of Montana website and see what's out there for jobs in whatever region you want. Like I was told when looking for jobs here, one must be proactive and find what you want, not rely on the job service. Of course it would be hard to look for state jobs that was though. You want to beat all of the people looking for that one crappy job online where they need one person to fill that position for low pay. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
There are more factors to consider before moving here(Helena).If you have done the research as you say then good. This is a good place for your little girl. I moved here from Florida(Gainesville). You don't have to worry about the most heinous things happening to your child. However, prudence in watching your children is good even if there were no people no other people within 50 miles of you, if you know what I mean. I hear there are problems with Meth here and teenage drinking, pregnancy....Either, I don't notice a meth problem here, for I don't go out that much and keep to myself mostly, or it is overstated. After living in Florida for 18 years..I know and have seen friends of mine get eaten alive by drugs and most cases have died. I know what drug problems look like and act like, smell like and so forth. I wish I knew the true extent of the problem in Helena, or the truth of the possible overstatement of the problem... Other Helenites care to elaborate???? Lastly if you type in helena mt jobs in your search engine, you should get the state of Montana website and see what's out there for jobs in whatever region you want. Like I was told when looking for jobs here, one must be proactive and find what you want, not rely on the job service. Of course it would be hard to look for state jobs that was though. You want to beat all of the people looking for that one crappy job online where they need one person to fill that position for low pay. Good luck!
Thank you for your insight. We've also heard of the meth problems in the area, and actually we saw a Montana Meth Project commercial while we sere staying in Helena. Alabama is one of the states to have hopped on board with the MM Project, and I think it's great.

Our lives have both been profoundly affected by drugs by losing multiple friends to multiple family members. I know that no matter where you go, there is going to be an issue with drugs. I have even read about Amish teens having drug problems, I was like what?!

We just want to learn from our parents' mistakes and teach our daughter that there is a huge world out there for her to explore and conquer. We want to raise her in a place where more emphasis is placed on respecting and enjoying our natural blessings, and not so much on what kind of car someone has. We are very simple-minded, old souls for such a young couple.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM

The deal with Amish teens and drugs is at age 16 Amish children are sent on a "rumspinga" and are allowed to live outside the Amish community to their own devises, as a time which lasts months or years when they are not considered "accountable"to see if they want to live in the outside world, or to see if they want to be members of the Amish church. If they join the church they must leave the outside world and all of its trappings and are consisdered accountable and must obey. If they choose to remain in the outside world then that's ok. I would probably make the parents unhappy, but that is what that time is for. If they join the church and leave then that's bad and you will be shunned.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 PM

That is so interesting, thanks! I lived in Indiana for about a year when I was 10-11 and we would go to the Amish country to buy corn and baked goods (which were the best). I was always so intrigued by their lifestyle, and now I'm beginning to think that's not such a bad way to live. How do you know about the Amish religion?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,521,276 times
Helena can not be to bad, I saw a Lowes and Home Depot but not the exit to get off there yesterday. Not many Lowes or Home Depots to be had in Montana.
I am not impressed with Great Falls or the area on 10th heading east out of town towards Lewistown.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamilyGrace View Post
That is so interesting, thanks! I lived in Indiana for about a year when I was 10-11 and we would go to the Amish country to buy corn and baked goods (which were the best). I was always so intrigued by their lifestyle, and now I'm beginning to think that's not such a bad way to live. How do you know about the Amish religion?
I know about it because I saw a show on natgeo channel or some other type of educational channel.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM

716 posts, read 953,380 times
Quote:
i'm glad I do have a job of sorts...I work for this old man, in bad health,whom I admire and respect. I work when he needs me, now to find a little additional money, when he doesn't need me. I work outside, which is hard for me, so I can only work part-time when I work, for it is hot and uv light is intense here! And my circumstances allow me to do so. In spite of all that is wrong with Helena, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have to take it for what it is. I moved here for a fresh start and not for an excuse to wear a cowboy hat....
You are lucky that you found someone you respect that you can work for. I have not managed to find that here yet. But the other day my dad told me that my standards were to high. Whatever that means. I have actually noticed that the more responsible I am the more I get micro-managed in comparison to other employees who sit around all day surfing the net and playing computer games who are basically left alone and even empathized with (what a rough life they lead!) and I have decided that I am basically being punished for having a work ethic.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
You are lucky that you found someone you respect that you can work for. I have not managed to find that here yet. But the other day my dad told me that my standards were to high. Whatever that means. I have actually noticed that the more responsible I am the more I get micro-managed in comparison to other employees who sit around all day surfing the net and playing computer games who are basically left alone and even empathized with (what a rough life they lead!) and I have decided that I am basically being punished for having a work ethic.
Yes, i am lucky.. However, I don't work that much and for the time he doesn't need me,I could do a little something on the side, like a part time job inside where i don't get cooked!he said he needed me from time to time. It is hot when I work outside!I am more of a friend to this man. He has a couple of young people working for him and they can take the heat better than me. One of them is an indian,and when I see him i compliment him on his tan. I need a little more money to for bills.I was working for k-mart and hated i quit.I was hired by a temp service and never got calls for any jobs. I went to another temp agency and had a job for 6 days and it ended and that was over a month ago. i got this job and worked a lot for awhile, then it kind of peterd out and this week I worked 4 hours. so now to find a little something more. Hope it goes ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana