Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 60,804 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer? Satellite vs Cable. I'm moving out to Columbus, Montana and was curious. I would also like to know how is the Winter out there? I'm originally from New York City. Is it hard to find work out there in Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,733,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Vision Comm View Post
Which do you prefer? Satellite vs Cable. I'm moving out to Columbus, Montana and was curious. I would also like to know how is the Winter out there? I'm originally from New York City. Is it hard to find work out there in Montana?
It's very hard to find work in Montana....no two ways about it.

As far as satellite versus cable, I would say that question really isn't relevant to much of Montana. I think there's a lot of people who don't have cable TV in their house so it's not an option.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,197,974 times
I don't know about Columbus....it's only 20+ miles from here in Laurel, but I still don't know the tv situation....but here in Laurel we definitely (my family) like satellite better. It costs less, has many more channels, and I love the DVR, although some cable companies have DVR as well. We have DishNetwork as we found it to less expensive, have better programming, less or no startup costs, etc. than DirectTV. I wouldn't switch from DishNetwork no matter where I live. That's my 2 cents worth!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:41 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,288,858 times
Without question Satellite and that goes for anywhere in the country. I've had both over the years and pretty much all cable co.'s are far behind when it comes to technology period I think. Every channel is digital with satellite which gives you a far better picture than majority of the analogue channels cable can deliver.

Most cable companies, as far as I am aware, are very limited with digital channels. Most are analogue signals and while all satellite channels are digital, any that are broadcast in HD are able to be viewed in HD via HD receivers. I'm not sure how extensive HD ability is with cable but I do know that it would be limited to only digital channels they carry that are broadcast in HD. Not sure if all HD broadcast channels are delivered in digital when it comes to cable as I haven't dealt with cable in many years so I may be wrong about some things. What I am right about though is you will be much happier with satellite for sure if you like your tv.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM

369 posts, read 1,449,163 times
Opt for DishNetwork. It carries local channels for a modest fee and I'm sure that would include the Billings channels in Columbus. IMHO, stay clear of the other satellite company DirecTV. Won't carry local channels. Oh, sorry, I see you work for DirecTV!!

Last edited by grizzfan; 05-23-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,830 times
Another vote for Dish Network. If cable is an option, chances are the signal has been split off and amplified so many times that it's just not worth the cost. Dish Network generally works out to be a better deal than DirecTV, but if you work for DirecTV, chances are you'll get a nice discount and that may make it the better choice. But satellite gets another vote over cable from me.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,863,130 times
What about the local stations? I believe I read an article that said that the sat companies lost the ability to carry them.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM

369 posts, read 1,449,163 times
DishNetwork carries the local Missoula ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, stations, but not yet the local channels in High Definition. I am able to get NBC & CBS in HD with rabbit ears!! You either get a great picture in HD or no picture at all.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,806,107 times
Anyone know when missoula locals will be broadcast by Dishnetwork in HD .i hate having an antenna to get them.

Last edited by grannymontanny; 07-26-2008 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana