Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,724 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move to Montana - we will both need jobs and want to rent before we buy - my husband is semi retired but I am not. We are coming from an area of big winters and snow so we don't mind winter but would prefer a milder winter. As we have lived in the Natl forest for over 15 years it's time for a few conveniences. We would not mind living in a town or close to town. We have thought about Bozeman, Kalispell, Helena.
We would really appreciate some insight as this is a big move and will probably be our last one.
Thank you in advance for all who choose to share information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM

10,284 posts, read 13,805,255 times
Good paying jobs are hard to come by in Montana and the wages are low compared to the national average. Cost of living in Bozeman and Kalispell is high, I'm not sure how Helena is in that regard. Kalispell and western Montana are not welcoming of outsiders and I found Bozeman to be very pretentious in my experience there as a student. Helena doesn't seem as pretentious, I also haven't spent much time there. As far as milder winters you aren't going to get that in any of those towns. If you want a milder winter in Montana Billings is your best bet. Billings isn't as scenic as those other towns but the cost of living might be a bit lower and it is not pretentious and seems more welcoming.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM

6,748 posts, read 8,527,429 times
A lot depends on what kind of work you are looking for.

Larger towns are where the jobs are, and where the prices are highest. Your politics may play a part as well. Kalispell and Bozeman have large conservative populations, Helena being government is pretty liberal.

Depending on what you want, a smaller town within commuting distance of a population center may be the answer.

Billings has a milder winter than most of the rest of the state. Bozeman and Kalispell get a lot of snow, Helena doesn't usually get the snow and is a much drier place, not nearly as green.

If you expand on your question someone may be able to give you more specific perspective and perhaps ideas about other options.

Personally, I have always found the people in Montana are very welcoming of people that want to be Montanan's, they don't appreciate folks who are always cutting down the state with derogatory opinions and those folks usually don't fit in.

JMO

Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,992,322 times
Move to Bozeman. It's a friendly town with new economic development going on.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.bozemanchamber.com/

http://www.montana.edu/jobs/classified

http://jobs.mt.gov

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/jobs/

http://www.bozeman.net/Home

We welcome you!

H.I.
Bozeman

Last edited by happiness is; 10-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,992,322 times
Oracle recently announced that it is investing even more in its cloud computing headquarters in Bozeman. Simms Fishing Products has opened a new factory building here. There is more economic development going on.
Moving forward, but where to? - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Business

Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,724 times
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I was asked to be more specific - What are the chances of taking care of an estate such as care takers? For over 15 years we have owned a property management/vacation rental business. We have references from all of our properties, a solid background and no children. I am just thinking of all the options. I am still very confused as to exactly what location we should direct our attention in MT.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 AM

6,748 posts, read 8,527,429 times
OK, to manage property, either Missoula or Bozeman have colleges, so lots of rental units.

If you want to take care of vacant vacation properties, Big Sky, Whitefish, Livingston, Kalispell or even some places you wouldn't normally think of like Big Timber, Fishtail, Nye or Red Lodge.
Those are vacation properties where the owner has 20 acres, a McMansion, and only visits for 2 weeks a year, and sometimes at Christmas for a ski vacation.

Much of western Montana has these properties, some very large, most are smaller. Problem would be that most of western Montana has pretty stiff winters.

Billings has a lot of rentals as well as the largest town in Montana, and has about as mild a winter as anyplace in the state, but it can still get pretty cold and blizzards will come through from time to time.

Many of the resort areas are close to ski hills as that is a big draw for tourists, most are in the pretty areas with views, some go for isolation, nearly all have at least a regional airport within an hour or so drive.

The other option would be to check out Miles City or Glendive because of the Bakken Oil fields, demand for rental units has gone through the roof.

I don't work in that market so I can't give specific reccomendations, but hopefully this info will help you to narrow your search.

Good Luck

Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,453,888 times
As we post quite a bit, asking over this forum is not the best way to go. You really need to jump on a plane and come check it out for yourselves. You might discover Dillon or Lima, Wisdom or Anaconda is the way to go. have not heard anyone suggest the Bitteroot Valley yet. Sure the bigger places will have a decent selection of jobs but the small towns do as well, they usually are not advertised and have to be there to discover them.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,487,672 times
Searching,
Check with Heartland in Missoula for estate management caretaker type positions. It is a branch of Heartland Nannies. The original owner retired a few years ago but I believe Heartland still upholds the same high standards for referrals. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana