U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,982 times

Advertisements

After taking a trip earlier this month, we fell in love with Montana. We flew in to Helena for business and then headed down to Livingston/Paradise Valley area. Stayed in a cabin on yellowstone river - had the time of our lives even though we couldn't get in to Yellowstone - next time. Now our head is spinning trying to figure out how to get to Montana within the next few years. I have a job that will allow me to work from anywhere as I tele-commute for a large corporation. The prices seems to be pretty good for housing, depending on what you are looking to buy. I originally come from a cold climate, but we live in Southern California now. Any thoughts or tips/tricks on making the move - what should we know about that area? Weather, wildlife, locals, etc.... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,469,391 times
Paradise Valley is beautiful, that's for sure.

Not sure how much sun one would get in the winter at some locations in the valley. Was there internet to check internet speed?

As for wildlife, I've seen some large herds of deer in the valley, pelicans, eagles, big horn sheep, elk & pronghorn around that area. I would guarantee there are bears & bison too.

Bozeman has Costco, which is a plus for us.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I see from other postings that the wind is an issue. We've been looking at property and can't really tell if any of the parcels would be blocked from the wind in any way. Although we live in So Cal, we really are relaxed people who prefer a smaller town lifestyle and love the outdoor. Any other tips are always welcome....

Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 PM

4,910 posts, read 5,796,001 times
You should feel right at home in the Paradise Valley then, a large part of the population is from Southern California, as well as movie stars with their vacation homes etc.

Yeah there are some pretty good winds in the valley, not as bad as once you get out of the mouth of the canyon, but they can be significant.

It can get very cold there too. The further south you go, closer to Yellowstone, the more snow you will get.

Depending on where you are in the valley there can be lots of different animals including grizzly, wolves, black bear, coyote, lynx, cougar, bobcat, badger, and sometimes wolverines.

There are deer, elk, and some other prey animals as well.

Most of the movie stars are around 6 mile creek, but Peter Fonda's place is in the north end of the valley.
Chico is a hot spot for them to get together, Dennis Quaid has a place near there and likes to sing in the bar.

Be careful if you are on the flats, there can be a lot of rattlesnakes during the summer.

Make sure any property you get has a deeded right of way and good water.

Good Luck.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:34 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
MTSilvertip gave a lot of good advice on his post. I will reiterate that the winds there can be severe. It is not uncommon to see people visit in the summer and fall in love with the place and then move out after the first winter because the winds can be bad.

As far as wildlife, that has been covered accurately by others as well, although you won't see bison in Paradise Valley but just in the Gardiner area, depending on what the current law is. It's also very rare to find pronghorn outside of the Gardiner area.

As far as the locals most of them are pretty accepting as long as you aren't too "in your face."

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM

163 posts, read 501,930 times
Bongo made a good point concerning sunshine. I would try my hardest to get a place where the front of the house faces south. This is especially important if you are in a valley. Also if possible take a trip into the area you are interested in during the winter. You will be amazed how much more heat a southern exposure will get and how much faster the snow melts and roads/driveways clear off.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM

297 posts, read 668,378 times
Lots of good tips. If you'll be working from home, make sure the internet speed would be sufficient. Most of the rural parcels don't have cable access.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 PM

Thank you everyone! All great tips and I'm working with a local realtor to help us out. Thanks MontanaGyrl & bongo - our realtor asked us about our internet needs, so I guess I REALLY need to make sure of that. MTSilvertip & AndersomRM - We plan on making a trip out early 2014 to experience the snow; then again in August. WyoEagle thanks for the tips. We are low key and wanting to really embrace the entire Montana life style and retire there. We are only in our 40's so we want to enjoy all Montana has to offer. We have an RV to be sure if we need to escape to a warmer climate at anytime, we can. It's a 3-5 year plan to get there so who knows what could happen during that time. Hoping to find some beautiful land with a good solid house on it and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana