Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a soldier currently stationed in Georgia. I may be getting discharged soon, and I am trying to find something to do after I get out. I have always been highly independent and adventurous. I wanted to go out west and start a new life for myself. I read about the MCC and I think it would be a great way to establish myself in Montana. I am 18 years old and in great physical shape, and I am used to being in the field, so the extended "camping trip" will be no problem to me. I guess what I am trying to ask you all, who are far more knowledgeable than I, is if would be feasible for me to buy a one way ticket to Montana (if I get accepted to the program) and start a new life out west? Thank yall for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine&Dip View Post
Hello all! I am a soldier currently stationed in Georgia. I may be getting discharged soon, and I am trying to find something to do after I get out. I have always been highly independent and adventurous. I wanted to go out west and start a new life for myself. I read about the MCC and I think it would be a great way to establish myself in Montana. I am 18 years old and in great physical shape, and I am used to being in the field, so the extended "camping trip" will be no problem to me. I guess what I am trying to ask you all, who are far more knowledgeable than I, is if would be feasible for me to buy a one way ticket to Montana (if I get accepted to the program) and start a new life out west? Thank yall for your help
You can do anything you set your mind to.

I drove out to Montana when I was twenty with just what I could fit in my car and not enough gas money to return home if it didn't work out. Ten years later, I've completed college, married, bought a house, had two children and work a wonderful job.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
.....Your post implies that you do not have a car.........Except for the Bus public transportation systems in a few of the major cities in Montana, there is really very little public transportation to get from city to city. Greyhound does service some of the cities.
Unless you intend to buy a vehicle after you arrive in Montana, IMHO you will be at somewhat of a disadvantage in terms of being able to effectively seek employment.

Also, I hope you have done some "homework" with regard to the typical winter weather you will experience here in Montana, as well as very different "life-style". I have spent some time in the Atlanta area, Brunswick, Macon, Savannah, Douglas, Darien and Valdosta..........

If you have never been to Montana, I would suggest that you do a significant amount of research before you make the trip out here.

I wish you luck.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
First off starting a new life in Montana is much easier if it is Spring or Summer for employment opportunities. At the end of your Army committment you could get an entry level position at any drilling company in the oil fields of Eastern Montana/Dakotas. It is hard physical work which you would be in shape for with regular drug testing. Montana is not a cheap place to live even though it is rural. A couple of years in the oil patch would give you an economic start. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana