U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 PM

540 posts, read 1,087,380 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to relocate to probably either Bigfork or Whitefish with a job in tote and have done some looking at the local schools. We'd prefer smaller schools in general, with Bigfork and Whitefish appearing to have the better quality schools in the area that seem to fit that definition.

Any opinions on the cultures of these schools? Specifically the high schools as we will have one in high school and realizing the others feed in there. Our kids are active in both sports and academics, and we'd like to see a focus on higher education within the school, a supportive environment, and one that places higher expectations on students in general (with a student body with more parents who do the same). I just believe that whether it's kids tending the fields, hitting the books, or doing homework, kids do better with clear expectations and positive rewards. Finding teachers who are passionate about what they do is always a plus.

I'd also be curious to hear of any comments on Stillwater Christian in Kalispell and Whitefish Christian Academy. Private schools seem much more affordable in Montana than where we're coming from, and if money were no object, we're prefer our kids in religious schools as opposed to secular schools (It's an object, but not an insurmountable one). I'm particualry impressed with the Classical Christian philosophy at Whitefish Christian. I do wish that they went K-12, though.

Any word or even hearsay on the above?

Last edited by CMartel2; 10-25-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,770,360 times
Don't know about those schools specifically but...

MT students rank higher than most countries in math and science | KRTV.com | Great Falls, Montana#_

Beartooth NBC | Helena News | Great Falls News - Three Montana high schools receive national recognition

Most Montana schools are above average.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:40 AM

159 posts, read 178,726 times
We just relocated from Texas to Whitefish and both our kids are enrolled at Muldown Elementary in Whitefish. The school is very close knit and the teachers are fantastic (we have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader). One of our kids was in a top tier private school back in Texas, the other in public - so we're familiar with both schools of thought. We gave Whitefish Christian Academy a brief look, and agreed the tuition is much less expensive than Texas private schools but we didn't see any compelling reason not to enroll both the kids at Muldown.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,087,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
We just relocated from Texas to Whitefish and both our kids are enrolled at Muldown Elementary in Whitefish. The school is very close knit and the teachers are fantastic (we have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader). One of our kids was in a top tier private school back in Texas, the other in public - so we're familiar with both schools of thought. We gave Whitefish Christian Academy a brief look, and agreed the tuition is much less expensive than Texas private schools but we didn't see any compelling reason not to enroll both the kids at Muldown.
That's helpful. We've had very mixed experiences in public schools. Most in our region have pretty much universally positive experiences in the private schools in the area. So it's a bit of a toss-up. Did you hear specific positives or negative about Whitefish Christian?

Like I said, I'd prefer our kids be in a Christian school, though with the understanding that cost is a marginally important consideration. Any word on schools in Bigfork?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,098 times
Stillwater Christian School is down the road from my house, and I thiiink it is K-12, but I'm not sure. I'm not religious, so I'm unsure. I haven't heard anything about it, neither negative or positive, so you might just have to try it out yourself. There are several other schools in the valley, but aside from a Catholic middle (?) school, I don't know of any others. The main high schools are Flathead (don't recommend it) and Glacier (recommend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana