Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM

17 posts, read 43,878 times

Advertisements

I hope to transfer to Helena from Mississippi in February or March. I will be looking for a house to rent that will accept pets. Any suggestions on areas? Any tips in general concerning Helena would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Sorry, I know nothing of Helena except the weather. Hope your ready for it. It can be brutal unless you learn to live with it. Dress in layers. Lots and lots of layers. As it warms up, peel layers, but keep them handy cause it's going to cool off this afternoon.

You mentioned a pet. When you first get there, you'll have to protect the pet indoors. But they adapt faster then you do. So don't be bashful about letting them out. Keep petting the animal. You'll find that the fir is getting thicker. This is good. The dog will adapt and find comfort, even in the cold. It's funny how they adapt like it's nothing. We bundle and *****, but the animal just runs along saying? What's up ma?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I was worried about the pooch adjusting. He is a lab mix so he is pretty much eager for everything. The rental properties don't seem very pet friendly as most listings say no pets. I can understand why though, I suppose.

It will be quite an adjustment for me too. Here in Mississippi it rarely gets colder than 30 degrees. The summers are brutal however!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
If the dog has webbed toes, or feet that have long thick toe fur then special attention should be paid to dog after being out like making sure there aren't any ice balls between the toes. And leaving dogs out even though they are really furry looking can be deadly for the dog as well as just plain miserable. My big furry white Great Pyrenees/ Black Lab cross sleeps on our bed and would surely die if she had to spend the night outdoors in 9 degree weather. Well maybe she wouldn't die but I wouldn't get any sleep with her whining !

Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Ha! I don't even let him sleep outdoors here at night where it is only 35 at night.

That is good information about the ice between his toes though. These are things that I have not thought about. No reason to so far. I want to learn all that I can so that I am as prepared as I can be.

What is employment like there? As I mentioned earlier, I have a probable transfer in the works. My boyfriend is in plumbing/mechanical/construction. Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the links MtHawki. Very useful information. The rental opportunities seem slim for houses much less houses with a fenced yard. Are there any better opportunities in finding houses from individuals that possibly do not advertise in the paper? What areas do you like the most? I heard that they were all good areas to live in.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 55,747 times
I lived in Great Falls (about 70 miles north of Helena). I do know that rent is higher in Helena than in GF, especially around the capital building. There are a lot of newer homes on the north side of town. That is also where you can find Target and other shopping. There is a small mall toward the center of town. Helena is fairly easy to get around, so if you live on one end of town and have to drive to the other, is doesn't take long. As far as winter advice, you will want to keep your pets in doors at night. With wind chill, it can get to 40 below at night during a typical January cold spell. You will find that spring is different than in Mississippi. It is not unusual for the last good snow of the year to be in mid-May. A good snow shovel for your driveway and a block heater for your car would be wise investments if you plan to stay awhile. I don't want to discourage you. There are some nice things about Helena. There are things to do in Helena culturally that don't happen in GF, because Helena is the capital and it has Carroll College. If you want a nice restaurant On Broadway is good. The Parrot candy store is also good to visit if you have a sweet tooth. The mountains offer good year round recreation. I wish I could give you more specific details, but off the top of my head I can't. I'll try to find out more from some people I know who live/ lived there.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM

189 posts, read 799,349 times
The housing market this time of year is usually pretty thin inventory wise. Because Helena is a small town, a lot of people don't bother advertising in the paper and they just put "For Rent" signs in the yard or window of their rentals. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding something that suits your needs, but it might take you a day or two of leg-work to do it.
There aren't really any terrible parts of town, but there is an area near the railroad tracks and east of Montana Avenue that is less than desirable than others. If you're just renting before buying, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
As for your dogs feet, try dog booties like the ones they put on sled dogs. I see them alot on dogs up here especially when it gets way below freezing. Stops the ice from cutting their pads and you can take 'em off when they come in which keeps the muck to a minimum. Also now that they spray mag chloride on the streets to stop ice it has been known to cause skin irritation so the boots would help there as well.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
Try woodspropertymanagement.com. See if you have any luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana