U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM

11,861 posts, read 15,517,649 times

Advertisements

Yeah I went to Westby for a week bird hunting. Just me and the two German Shorthairs. It was a lot of fun. Very peaceful and just a hoot to watch the dogs hunt and learn.. My male did a great job. Only 10 months old and he's picked it up quite well. Points, retrieves, drops on command. Retrieved in the sloughs, tall CRP, tracked a wing-shot bird.. He just loves it.

I may go up there again before the season is thru..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah I went to Westby for a week bird hunting. Just me and the two German Shorthairs. It was a lot of fun. Very peaceful and just a hoot to watch the dogs hunt and learn.. My male did a great job. Only 10 months old and he's picked it up quite well. Points, retrieves, drops on command. Retrieved in the sloughs, tall CRP, tracked a wing-shot bird.. He just loves it.

I may go up there again before the season is thru..
Our German Shorthair just passed away . They're beautiful dogs.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that.. We love our two pups..

And if you are considering getting another one, let us know. Our female went into heat and DESPITE our attempts to keep the two apart, well mother nature and sheer willpower can overcome just about anything. We'll know soon enough if our female is now a mommy-to-be, lol.

If so, they will be good dogs. Mom's a prize 3 on natural ability and the boy is a great field dog. Both pleasing temperments.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,915 times
....Hey Threerun............

I've been thinking about MAYBE getting another Bird Dog (to compliment my existing Brittany).............Here's my situation:

I'm 81....still do some bird hunting...live on 14 fenced acres....have a 6' high cyclone fence outside dog run (10 foot by 20 foot) with dog house and two Costco Brand Circular Dog Beds in dog run (one in sun lit area & one in shade) and 5 to 6 inch gravel base. And have dog(s) sleep in the utility room (right off the kitchen) at night.

Current Brittany will be 8 in February..got him at 7 weeks...he is neutered. I have had bird dogs for over 60 years, and start "Crate Training" them right from the beginning, I keep one crate in the SUV and one in the utility room. IMHO it is very important that they consider "their crate" is "their security blanket". My current Brittany has traveled with me over 75,000 miles in his crate in the SUV.

If you end up with a litter, what are your thoughts re my possibly adding one of your GSP to my household.?
What would you suggest, a male or female...(in either case I would have the dog neutered at about 11 months.) Because it's just the two of us (me & the Brittany), he is somewhat protective of me. He has a very lovable disposition and Loves to play (sometimes a little rough).

My other Brittany (he passed away 3 years ago this coming December at almost 14), was a great teacher for the one I have...they hunted side by side for about 3 years.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM

It seems most folks prefer females, and I can say that our female is more driven than the male. However, our male performed incredibly well this year.. right out of the gate. My female was blowing birds left and right and we finally had to rest her and run the male. He did extremely well! Within 3 days he was holding steady point, retrieving, hitting water on retrieves. tracking.. I've worked with him this week on 'Whoa' and he's about got it down..

However good he is though, I suspect that Dutch (the female) will be a better all around field dog. But she is FAST and will range out 1/4 mile if given the chance.

The male is more of a plodder. He likes to stay in a little closer and really work back and forth in front of you. He's also 75lbs and 10 months old, so he's a big boy. His daddy is over 90lbs. Big GSP's..

So I guess, depending on what you want in a dog, might factor into it. Seeing as though you have a male, a female would automatically seem the wiser choice, but as you know sometimes that is untrue. Two males can get along just as well. Oh boy!

You're welcome to anyone of them if they do have a litter. They have great lineage and they both display absolute birdiness. A lot of the seasoned guys I hunted with in Westby we're really, really impressed with Schnitzel, so I'm sure one of those guys would maybe want a litter pup as well.

Schnitzel is the white one. (The other is my friends GSP)

Here's both of mine. He's a lot bigger than Dutch.

Dutch is a typical female.. Always backbiting when the boy just wants to have fun.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-14-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,466,937 times
Common guys, we might want to get back on topic, if you would please.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
I have been in Helena passing through before and thought it was a nice town. I am nearing retirement for teaching and want to retire somewhere near great hunting. I love to bow hunt and gun hunt. I also love to fish. Is there good elk and deer hunting within a few hours of Helena? Another reason I am looking hard at Helena is the fact that my wife is a Nurse and will have to keep working. It seems there are plenty of medical facilities around Helena.
Yes- There are good opportunities all around. I've been here going on 4 years and I still am trying to get the system down. Fishing is really good as well. I love to ice fish in the winter and it's a blast! Trout, perch, walleye, ling- it's all right around Helena.

Honestly you would not be disappointed.

Oh yeah and the grouse and duck hunting is okay too!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 PM

123 posts, read 223,261 times
I was at a rest area on my way to Helena a few years back. We I was standing there I could not believe how beautiful it was. Then traveling down interstate towards Helena I think it was the Elkhorn Mountains...simply gorgeous...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Common guys, we might want to get back on topic, if you would please.
Hey Elk..............You're absolutely right........sorry I "strayed over the center-line"....My Bad!!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Well I strayed first.. So yeah.. Back to hunting and living.

Can't be much better than here! (Although whitetail hunting in WV was a lot better, unfortunately.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana