U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

I have been in Great Falls the last few weeks and will drive back to Seattle in a 2WD Honda Civic this coming Fri, Dec 20. It looks like the forecast from now until Dec 20 is for maybe a couple scattered snow showers along the route but no major storms. If I stick to I-15 and I-90, will I be OK with non-snow tires and a set of chains or should I get snow tires specifically for this drive? I am a cautious driver and have experience driving in snow in cities, but not over long distances or mountain passes (I drove here in Nov when the passes were mostly dry). Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,596,438 times
Should be okay, if you don't start out too early, let snow, slush get taken care of by plows, let ice melt off a bit by other drivers, stop before dark. That is the key, do not drive when it is icy. This time of year, best to not plan on driving 12-14 hours a day. Drive, 6-7 hours a day.

Have a small shovel in your car, some ice melt. And usual supplies, warm blanket.

Last edited by jasper12; 12-15-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM

4,638 posts, read 3,958,997 times
Traveler Information - Roadway Cameras
Keep checking the Montana road report throughout your trip. Today I90 from Missoula to Idaho border has black ice as road condition. You would not want to be on the road in your vehicle under such conditions. Temperatures are forecast to drop significantly on Wednesday. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:41 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,979,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite83 View Post
I have been in Great Falls the last few weeks and will drive back to Seattle in a 2WD Honda Civic this coming Fri, Dec 20. It looks like the forecast from now until Dec 20 is for maybe a couple scattered snow showers along the route but no major storms. If I stick to I-15 and I-90, will I be OK with non-snow tires and a set of chains or should I get snow tires specifically for this drive? I am a cautious driver and have experience driving in snow in cities, but not over long distances or mountain passes (I drove here in Nov when the passes were mostly dry). Thanks for your help.
I am geographically challenged so I am only stating the following because I know it is true.
Check with each state you are driving through to see if they require you to have chains this time of year.
Be safe and have a great trip.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:46 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,657,080 times
And, as you get closer to Seattle, check the pass conditions just prior to when you will be traveling over them.

Conditions can literally change hourly and sometimes White Pass is a safer choice than Snoqualmie/I-90 (and vice versa).

WSDOT - Snoqualmie Pass Road and Weather Conditions

WSDOT - White Pass Road and Weather Conditions

Safe driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana