U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times

Advertisements

Billings will provide the best employment opportunities. You can always explore other towns on your days off and make a change later. Once you live in Montana and travel around it a bit, you will get feel for each place. For instance, I judge community vitality on how clean the shop windows are. You may come to like Helena or Hamilton.
Good luck on your new adventure. Take up photography or something similar that gets you outdoors exploring the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:18 AM

8,940 posts, read 8,042,403 times
Montana only has one city of any size, Billings with about 100,000 people. Billings is where for the type of job you are looking for is the best place to be. Billings only has an under 5% unemployment rate, and before the recession had the lowest unemployment rate in U.S. There are restaurants everywhere you look constantly having help wanted signs, due to shortage of available employees.

There are three types of towns in Montana. Mountain resort type, rural farm type, and Billings. Billings is a steady business area for a wide area. The farm type have not much to offer, especially for jobs. The mountain resort type, have good and bad business cycles for your type of employment depending on season.

For a social life for a single woman that is not into the young bar scene types, pick Billings.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Helena might fit the bill. I started thinking about social aspects of living places where you drive everywhere. It seems you would meet more people casually when you are walking. Helena has some business areas designed for walking only. It might be worth a look.

Last edited by historyfan; 01-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: lack of clarity

Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM

365 posts, read 551,012 times
I hadn't thought about Helena .I have been researching Butte and Billings the most. I think Bozeman and Missoula would be to expensive for me and too many college kids.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 AM

37 posts, read 76,313 times
I would stay away from Butte. Sorry, Butte lovers. The drugs and crime are just way too bad. I've met some real shady men there too... from a dating perspective. Plus the lack of jobs. Don't overlook Helena. It has a lot of restaurants and they are still building out, slowly. I think there is a new grocery store going in too. (Does anyone know what that big building will be - near I-15 and Custer?). I see a lot of middle aged single women. It's not a party town for sure. I was in Billings years ago and didn't like most of it. Felt it was void of character and I couldn't wait to leave. I'm a middle aged single mom, but I work from home. Somewhat dependent on local economy. I've loved Helena, Great Falls, Havre, Choteau, Livingston, Lewistown, but some of those are rather small. But that's me, less people the better. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
There is a real shortage of good restaraunts in Helena, most are just yuppie chow, trendy, franchises or pizza/fast food.
Only a couple of good family style restaraunts, so I guess it depends on competition from the hip college kids from Carroll College as to work in that area.

Helena isn't a bad place to live, but it can be expensive and hard to get around if you don't have a car as the Helena Area Transport busses, (HATs) only run when they fell like it and usually don't go where you want to.

There are professional middle aged men here, how many are looking to date I have no idea because as a guy I am out of the loop on the dating scene looking for guys.

Maybe the quality of life is a little better in Helena, but there are far more opportuities for jobs etc in Billings.

And I always liked Butte! It has it's own special flavor, and I don't think it is any more dangerous than pretty much any other town in the state.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM

11,820 posts, read 15,435,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
There is a real shortage of good restaraunts in Helena, most are just yuppie chow, trendy, franchises or pizza/fast food.
Only a couple of good family style restaraunts, so I guess it depends on competition from the hip college kids from Carroll College as to work in that area.

Helena isn't a bad place to live, but it can be expensive and hard to get around if you don't have a car as the Helena Area Transport busses, (HATs) only run when they fell like it and usually don't go where you want to.

There are professional middle aged men here, how many are looking to date I have no idea because as a guy I am out of the loop on the dating scene looking for guys.

Maybe the quality of life is a little better in Helena, but there are far more opportuities for jobs etc in Billings.

And I always liked Butte! It has it's own special flavor, and I don't think it is any more dangerous than pretty much any other town in the state.
Steve's Cafe in Helena is one of the best family style joints I've ever been to. It's our families go to place for lunch.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Helena has dining a plenty & is especially busy during legislative years. Luccas, On Boardway, Steves Club, and Montana Club come to mind as decent...as well as Marysville. During legislative sessions the lobbyists on expense accounts keep the better places full. Avoid Butte and other towns with Superfund sites, yuck.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM

365 posts, read 551,012 times
I'm looking for family style rest .I can't do fine dining.... most want you to have an extensive wine knowledge. Butte and shady men hmmn.....I hear Butte a drinking town.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
I'm looking for family style rest .I can't do fine dining.... most want you to have an extensive wine knowledge. Butte and shady men hmmn.....I hear Butte a drinking town.
You got that right, they love to bend an elbow in Butte

There are only a few Family style restaurants in Helena, Shelly's, Birdseye, the Grubstake and The Early Bird.

Haven't been to the Early Bird in a long time, but it used to be a fantastic place for good home cooking with huge portions and decent prices.

Smith's Bar in East Helena is hard to qualify as it is really good or really mediocre depending on the day.

I don't go to the fancier places like the Montana Club, although I have eaten there when somebody else is paying

Not a fan of those places you pay a lot to say you ate there, then you go to McDonalds for something to eat after you leave because you are so hungry.

Everyone has their own opinion on everything, but my best advice would be to take a trip and do some on the ground exploring.
Lots of small towns with really good hidden restaurants you won't know about until you are there.
The smaller towns will usually have the working men from the farms and ranches that are looking for someone to share their lives with.

Some are fairly well off even if the truck they drive looks like it just lost a demolition derby, and many of them can be pretty shy as they don't have a lot of experience with the dating game, but their heart is usually in the right place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or