Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM

367 posts, read 696,953 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a middle aged woman thinking about relocating to Montana. Is it hard to find work if it's a college based town....meaning do they only want to hire college kids. What about the dating scene for middle aged people? Friendliest and cheapest city in Montana? I would appreciate any other information you may feel useful that will help me decide .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
What kind of work are you looking for?
Does the area need certain amenities like theater or shopping?
Does the weather make a difference?
Most of Montana is pretty conservative, so very friendly overall.

Cheap, you're looking in the wrong place. Because of shipping costs, most things cost more than they do in areas where there are shipping hubs. Because of the cold for a large portion of the year, we do have heating costs that may figure in, and depending on what town you are in, rentals may be limited.

As for middle aged dating, most of the farming communities have older bachelors, but they can be hard to find as they spend most of their time working on their property usually miles from town.

You may wish to do some research like visiting prior to planning to move here as it isn't always an easy place to survive.

Good Luck

Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Montana is not a place to move to without a job or means. If you need a job, land that and the town goes with. Mt.gov/jobs
As far as cheap goes, Montana is not an inexpensive place to live. Some areas are much less expensive, such as Thompson Falls, but employment opportunities are not plentiful.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
Hi I'm a middle aged woman thinking about relocating to Montana. Is it hard to find work if it's a college based town....meaning do they only want to hire college kids. What about the dating scene for middle aged people? Friendliest and cheapest city in Montana? I would appreciate any other information you may feel useful that will help me decide .
Most of the pretty areas are not cheap to live in and the wages often do not do a good job keeping up with the cost of living. As was stated previously make sure you have a job lined out before coming in. I'm not aware of a preference for hiring college students in the college towns. As far as requirements, what are you looking for in a town?

Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Well, if you want friendliest, Red Lodge is the friendliest town we have ever seen. Rent is very reasonable & Laurel is less than an hour for super Walmart, Billings an hour for Costco.

Beautiful old historic buildings. Very, very safe town.

In the summer RL is one of the gateways in to Yellowstone.

In the winter, must love snow! Do you ski?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Well, if you want friendliest, Red Lodge is the friendliest town we have ever seen. Rent is very reasonable & Laurel is less than an hour for super Walmart, Billings an hour for Costco.

Beautiful old historic buildings. Very, very safe town.

In the summer RL is one of the gateways in to Yellowstone.

In the winter, must love snow! Do you ski?
I've lived for various periods of time in many aprts of Montana. It is really hard to evaluate the "fiendliest" place. The smaller towns may be very friendly if you are their type of people. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot; maybe OK, maybe not. It depends on your values, lifestyle and, most importantly, your willingness to "live and let live", i.e. don't try to change it. The larger towns are generally more flexible,not because thepeople are different, but because the vatiety of folks is much more varied and larger. I.e., a alrger pool of different lifestyles and beliefs. Although you might find amny differnt types in the smalletr twns, the larger towns are more likely to have a sizeable variety. Employment is vary different. If you RE blue collar industril or oil field worker, them NE Montana is the hands down winner. Big bucks and many possibitities. Billings/ Yellowstone County has the most highly concentrated ooportunities for all types of employment. Any other place is a distant alternative. Bozemaan is hot but very, very expensive place to live with highly competitive, and small, job maket. Lots of college student and graduate competition. More spicific information needed.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 AM

I will be working as a waitress or doing customer service .I live very frugal and will be renting a studio apt. I plan on working 2 jobs. I will be arriving without a job lined up but, have an adequate amount of money saved up.I'm not looking to get rich in Montana.I'm just seeking a change in my life. I would like a town that does have some thrift stores, movie theater and a few dive bars. The two towns that interest me most are Billings and Butte.I know Billings would offer more work but, Butte seems like it may have the western look that I like. I'm sure in either place there will always be a need for a waitress or some type of customer service job.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
Either would fit your criteria. Butte is an old mining town, lot of spirit, lot of attitude, lots of old neighborhood bars. It also has a lot of festivals and different events throughout the year.

Billings is the largest town in the state, again, lots of events and activities, more shopping opportunities.

One thing to factor if you are living a frugal lifestyle is that Butte is much higher in elevation and in the mountains, so it does get a lot of snow and cold, so higher heating costs.

Billings is on the prairie, much warmer place.

Of the 2, Butte would probably be the quicker place to know your way around, make friends, as it is smaller and the folks are pretty friendly for the most part.

Billings would be easier to loose yourself as it is a bigger place, more anonymity if you want.

Both towns have a lot of family style restaurants, and some larger upscale and chain food service so you shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding a place to work in that industry as people move in and out of those jobs quickly.

Either would be a good choice, but I would see if I could line up work and a place to live before moving here permanently.

Good Luck

Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Billings has more going on and Butte has a lot of character. I would pick the town with the lower cost of living.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM

I think I will visit both and see what I think. I 'm always looking on craigslist and I have spoke with some rental companies.Thanks for everyones input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana