Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 20,402 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job within my company in Montana. I think there is a pretty good chance I will at least get deep into the interview process and if offered the position I think I would probably take it. The position is technically in Helena, but we have a smaller office in Missoula. I'm curious about whether or not Missoula might be a better fit for me, because if it is I might advocate for it over Helena.

I'm very outdoorsy, grew up on a farm in Iowa and spend lots of time hiking and doing bike tours in Iowa. I'm 24, was born and raised in central Iowa. Went to the University of Iowa for college, a couple hours from home, and then moved back to Des Moines right after college. I just want to do something different. The job in Montana is a really good fit for me and where I want to go in my career as well.

Other than outdoorsy things, which obviously attracts me to Montana, I'm really into craft beer and live music. It seems like there's a good amount of craft beer in Helena, but not so much live music. From what I've seen most of the bands I enjoy seeing stop in Missoula. I guess what I want to know is if I would be better off living in Helena and driving a couple hours to Missoula when a band I want to see comes through, or if the fact that bands usually stop in Missoula is an indicator that I should be living there instead. I'm young and single and it seems like maybe Helena is more family oriented.

The kind of music I like is mostly jam, bluegrass and alternative country. Yonder Mountain String Band and Railroad Earth are a couple of bands I make a point to see every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,488,754 times
I think bicycling & alternative music will be found both places but with Missoula you would have closer access to music in Spokane.

The only downside I see with Missoula is the gloomy overcast sky for the entire winter. That would be a deal breaker for me. I really like Missoula in summer & fall though.

Helena does have a transitory population of singles that are moving up governmental & political career paths. If you are career building locating in Helena makes better sense.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:02 AM

49 posts, read 69,637 times
Check out the Red Ants Pants music festival for these bands. Have a great move to Montana.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,860,510 times
Either is great. Different vibes. Do you like college towns?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:06 PM

Keim: Iowa City is a big college town and that's where I lived for four years while I went to school. I had a lot of fun, but I got tired of everything being connected to the University. What I like about Des Moines is that it has a good arts scene but everyone does something different. Not everything is connected to one place.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

2,220 posts, read 3,860,510 times
That may be your answer. Msla has at least 10k students. Part of the town is dominated by it.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Could anyone provide me with some feedback on the downtown scene in each city?

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM

106 posts, read 199,969 times
I lived in Helena for four years and would recommend Missoula over Helena in your situation. Helena is a small town with a limited music scene. Missoula is a university town that has the best cultural scene in Montana. There is a lot more to do off the trail in Missoula than Helena. Missoula is far larger than Helena. Missoula has music festivals, books festivals, film festivals and is by far more dynamic.

Both have great access to outdoor recreation; however, after several years in Helena, I think based on what you are looking for, Missoula is the clear winner. I also found I enjoyed the people in Missoula much better than the folks in Helena. The nightlife in Helena is lacking. At your age, Missoula would make a much better choice. I love music and the music scene is Helena is lame. Missoula has more culture than Helena and its downtown is more vibrant.

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/

Enjoy your adventure...!!!

Happy Trails,

MtMtnMan

Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM

That is exactly what I was wanting to know--thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana