U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 PM

919 posts, read 1,699,682 times

Advertisements

I would like to understand other peoples thinking, please help me. i mean no disrespect. montana has about <1mill population, adults & kids. with only about 10-12 towns with a population of 25,000 or more, why do people think they can move here and find almost any kind of job that will fit there specific needs and at a pay level that will be what they want. years ago in alaska during the pipeline work there were ads all across the US for all kinds of work. i have not seen any such ads from montana asking for people to work here and at the known low wages. i recently ran across some folks that were leaving because they could not find work to sustain them, they were heading back to a larger state. thats whats made me ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 06:18 PM

149 posts, read 578,795 times
Default unlimited jobs

great question! I can speak for us: I have already found where I can work (so I could plan ahead) and my husband can do most anything and isn't "too overqualified" for just any job.
I figure the people who don't do their homework or plan ahead have unrealistic expectations and are going to have a hard time adapting regardless of where they move...be it across town or across the country.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,518,461 times
Mark 6052- Most people aren't automatically assuming that they can just up and move and there be a job for them. They are making these posts to inquire about the job situation in Montana. Those who don't live there, don't know. I agree, people must research and do their homework. This forum is one of their research techniques. Believe me, I know how you feel about everyone assuming things are going to be a certain way in another state. My location is in Texas and you wouldn't believe some of the assumptions made and believed about our state. It is quite humorous. However, I know they are making the posts to find out if what they believe is actually the truth. The majority of the time, it isn't the way they imagined.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,544 times
Smile Robinhood thank you!

In response to Mark 6052 - in fact, I have done my homework. And I thank you, Robinhood. Yes, I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Without writing an epic to answer every judgemental thought a person might conjur up, I can guarantee you, Mr. Mark6052 that I know more about the demographics, economics and politics that run the state of Montana than those who opine about the Alaskan pipeline. I am sincerely seeking the opinion of people who actually live and work in present day Montana. You may as well suggest that people move to Canada - they (their government) are in dire need of diamond miners in the north territories, and the pay is high; or perhaps the oil fields - excellent pay and benefits there, too.

I spent time in Montana, and I find it extremely beautiful. I have even met people who work very hard for a minimum-wage living - not just jobs that "suit their needs". And yes, they still love living there. Imagine. Be thankful that Montana is like no other state in its beauty, and kindly accept that people are allowed to dream of possibly making a life there, as you have. Try not to make assumptions about things and people you are unfamiliar with.

I already know that rich people buy big ranches. Might there be any non-judgemental Montanans who actually enjoy their lives there?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 PM

919 posts, read 1,699,682 times
not tobe mean spirited but i think most people are judgemental. if you saw me with my 4x4, rifle & ropes in the gun rack, boots an cowboy hat, youd think i was a redneck. would it come as a surprise that many if not most are making assumptions about folks from out of state? thats not to say they wont warm up toya cause they will. its just been an overload the last few years with all the changes and growth. some of the people (those with lots of money)are not just demanding but down right rude by our standards, ya know, ask me dont tell me.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM

11 posts, read 57,731 times
Changes and growth.....that's what happened when Fayetteville, AR. made it to the "best places to raise a family" list. Fayetteville used to be really cool, but then it doubled and tripled in size, a bunch of rich people came in and bought up everything, rent went through the roof, and all the cool people who gave the town character moved out. jm

Old 11-10-2006, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,441 times
Genielamp... haha... You're killing me with your stories! When did Fayetteville "double and triple in size"? That's hilarious...I've lived around there for most of my life and still go there monthly since my family lives there still.
And when did "all the cool people" move out?
I mean, come on...Can we at least TRY to deal in facts here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana