Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 PM

33 posts, read 97,106 times

Advertisements

My understanding is there is a correction facility in Shelby. Where do the people live who work at the facility? (I know, they live at home). What is the housing situation there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 PM

148 posts, read 559,549 times
Rentals are far and few between, depending on what you're looking for. There seems to be plenty of one bedroom apartments and lofts, but two to four bedroom homes are pretty much non existent, unless you just get lucky. I have a couple of numbers for you to call if you want to private message me. But give me some information on what you are looking for, i.e. family size, etc... Most of the windmill workers are gone now but it did nothing to open up the rentals, as there were lots of people waiting for them.

Are you moving here just because of the corr. facility? Not to be negative or anything, but that place is soooo understaffed you will be working at least 72 hours(or more) per week. You will more than likely be wanting out after a couple of weeks!

A lot of people that work there live in Conrad and Cut Bank, though. There really is not that many Shelby residents working there anymore. Both Conrad and Cut Bank are within 25 miles of the prison and from what I have researched lately rentals seem more available in those two towns compared to Shelby.

Now if you are looking to buy a home, well that's a different story. You can get homes relatively cheap in all three towns, again depending on what you are looking for. But if you are looking to move here within the next month or two, good luck finding anything more than a crappy apartment or spare room! Again, I may be of some help if you want to message me!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. There seems to be conflicting info with respect to employment availability at the correction facility, and your feedback is invaluable. A loft or one bedroom apt will be just great; kid grown and have been in legal/investigative field for abt 30 years. If there are persons with whom you are familiar who have info about the facility, i would like to communicate with them.
A friend of mine might be interested in moving to the area and buying a house. If I get settled, then she would follow and be in the market for small home.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM

148 posts, read 559,549 times
If you have a GED or H.S. diploma and a "mostly" clear criminal record, then they will more than likely hire you. They are pretty desperate for help right now. There are some "characters" working at that place, if you know what I mean. But I do not think you would have any problem whatsoever getting a job there. Again, message me if you need some more information. I can help you out a little!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:07 AM

I have a BS and 25+ years of investigative work background. I would hope I would be able to get position there. A friend of mine was thinking of moving to either MT or WY, and I somehow saw this facility as constant and secure employment. I have been in many facilities, but was always one of those who could leave when I wanted to. That company lost a contract in another state of which I have knowledge. Every place could use a bit of good and fair supervision. If you are aware of something I might need to know, I would be grateful.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,735,314 times
Have you ever been to Shelby, MT?

I'd never live in that part of the state because it's cold, flat, and far away from mountains. But maybe your needs are different.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the cold and flat info. Am also curious about the correction facility there.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,995,544 times
Shelby itself has a few small hills right in town but the surrounding area is flat to slightly rolling. It's not all that far from the rocky Mountain Front either.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,779 times
It is not too far from the rocky mountain front. I took a visit to Shelby and Cut Bank and found the area to be nice. I really liked Cut Bank. It is noticably larger than Shelby. Plenty of houses for cheap and first class people.
I was down there from Oct 10-17 this year to look at real estate. I was all set to move down there and still may but for now I am looking at getting into real estate investing more than I was planning in Oct.

If you dont mind a small commute Cut bank is not far from Shelby. There is almost zero traffic. I think that is what I liked most about the area.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback. Evidently some of the stuff I read which was written by some SoCal people is all wrong. (Joke, there are some very pretentious people here, but I am originally from central Florida, cattle, horses, and agriculture)
I mentioned to someone else that since I finished my book project (see Erik Publishing, erikpublishing.com) I will be looking either in the SoCal area or Montana/Wyoming.

There is no family to restrict my travel, or location. I prob would be just a happy in a small place with an adequate income, heat, computer, and a place to continue to write. Until the writing generates enough money to live on (might be a dream) I will have to work somewhere. The lowest common denomiator for jobs for me is security. My background is investigations and finance.

enuf about me. If someone knows the ins and outs at Crossroads, let me know. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana