U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,877,890 times

Advertisements

A beautiful young buck mulie has been walking through my yard every morning for the last week or two. He just walked up the street in front of my house a few minutes ago. My dog is getting so used to this one that she just watches it now instead of barking ! Click on link for a few pictures.
Sorry I haven't been able to get a good picture of the new buck in town yet !

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Animules ! (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM

152 posts, read 485,075 times
I always enjoy your pics!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for enjoying them. Someday I'll get a camera with a real telephoto lens and then I'll try and get some shots of wild animals that look closer. We've been seeing a lot of moose lately. There is a fox den near my house but it's hard to get close enough for a shot without spooking them.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM

Default animals in eastern mt

Ya, in the first month of living here, i had a beautiful ?red? fox cross the road in front of me and give me a cross look, he was beautiful, of course the pronghorn hanging with the black baldies, whitetail, no mulies though I hear hunters get them here, I saw a bald eagle in a field last week and was scolded by a golden one up on the telephone pole next to the house when I was out warming up the pickup before work yesterday. (was not daylight yet, but I could see him well enough with the street light.) I herded my daschounds in quickly in case he was looking for breakfast, I am impressed with just how big he was. In Oregon you would catch a look but the trees made it difficult to see detail. Say do you feed the wild birds much, I wonder if that would impeed their migration, any thoughts? More use to birds who live year round in my area, many thanks

Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Once on a river float I saw an osprey and a bald eagal fighting on the riverbank ! They were both ripping a fish apart fighting over it and I didn't have my camera with me. I'm in the Flathead area and the only pronghorns I see here are on the National Bison Range.
I've seen them on the east side of the divide though. I'll see a few Great horned owls when on the river in my fishing kayak. You really have to look for them though as they stay put when you pass them and they blend in so well. The other rapters and the shore birds seem to spook and you'll notice them right off. I want to get some pictures of the seagulls and the white pelicans that breed at the lakes in our valley.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Medicine lake MT

Lots of pelicans there, that was a suprise, and of course all variety of duck, the pronghorn lay out in the fields this summer with the beef cows. Often all I would see is their rear which would cause me to notice. I bet that was a sight with the fish fight. Osprey and blue heron would often patrol my little goldfish pond in Oregon. Came home one day to a fish massacre with all my 6 for a dollar comets ripped to shreds all over the yard, oh well I considered it another type of a bird feeder! I am inpressed with the chickadees here, they work hard for their living that is why I am considering feeding them, a few people have feeders. The flathead valley area looks alot like eastern Oregon. I forgot to tell you that this summer the local paper had photos of a moose all the way over here, must be following some food supply or his girlfriend!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,552,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Thanks for enjoying them. Someday I'll get a camera with a real telephoto lens and then I'll try and get some shots of wild animals that look closer. We've been seeing a lot of moose lately. There is a fox den near my house but it's hard to get close enough for a shot without spooking them.
Where abouts are you seeing the moose?we will be riding that way,monday or teusday, and would love to watch for a moose or two.they are my favorite thing to get a picture of .

Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 PM

These were the last ones that I saw. (If you don't count the moose head in the back of a truck in a store parking lot !) These were up Thompson River Road just a mile or so up from Snyder. If you go up from hwy 200 or all the way down from hwy 2 you may see some moose, if your near the mouth of the Thompson River you will no doubt see some bighorn sheep either along 200 or a short ways up the Thompson River.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Moose (broken link)

Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,552,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
These were the last ones that I saw. (If you don't count the moose head in the back of a truck in a store parking lot !) These were up Thompson River Road just a mile or so up from Snyder. If you go up from hwy 200 or all the way down from hwy 2 you may see some moose, if your near the mouth of the Thompson River you will no doubt see some bighorn sheep either along 200 or a short ways up the Thompson River.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Moose (broken link)
Great,thanks. we know that area . we most always see the sheep,either on the way down 28,or on the hiway there where you mentioned. one time we even saw two males knocking heads,that was fun. thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana