Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM

21 posts, read 35,561 times

Advertisements

We go to West Glacier every summer and enjoy it every time. After all these years of going to GNP we have never mae it to East Glacier. We booked a room at the East Glacier Lodge (not cheap) in July but I am wondering if it was even necessary? While I still have time to get my money back I thought I would ask those who are familiar with East Glacier if it is worth taking an extra day and spending the night or can we explore the most popular sights in just one day? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM

19,631 posts, read 22,496,269 times
What do you mean by explore? By foot? By car?

There is a lot to do in East Glacier. Hike to Apakuni Falls, Rockwell Falls, Two Medicine.. My wife and daughter caught a glimpse of a griz and her cub (at a distance) along the Swiftcurrent Trail..

Day Hikes Two Medicine area of Glacier Park

Swiftcurrent Lake Trail Glacier National Park

Generally we spend at least 2-3 days on each side per year and do 2 hikes per side. I prefer East Glacier because it is quieter!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Threerun,

Thanks for the response! To answer your question... mosty by car. I will have my in-laws with me so they can't do much hiking although me and my family plan on doing some hiking I want to keep it short so I don't keep them waiting too long.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM

You can catch a boat ride at Many Glacier. We havn't done that yet, but I hear it's cool. Two Medicine has Running Eagle Falls- a really easy flat hike to a cool waterfall.

Running Eagles Falls - Glacier National Park - Reviews of Running Eagles Falls - TripAdvisor

In my opinion the East side is a hikers paradise. There's not much in the way of intepretive 'things' like found on the West side. There are more ranger guided talks and walks over in Apgar.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 AM

629 posts, read 1,717,320 times
The Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier (I assume that's the one you meant?) is incredible and definitely worth staying at. I don't think you'll regret spending a night or two there, it's one of the 'grand' western lodges. The grounds are gorgeous, red bus tours depart from there and there's a regular golf course as well as a little pitch n putt one on the grounds of the lodge.

Just up the road is the Two Medicine area which is great for hiking but also has some other things. There's also a boat tour at Two Medicine, that'd be something for your in-laws to do if they can't do much hiking. Or you could go on a hike while they sit on the porch at the store and read a book (it overlooks the lake with beautiful views). As mentioned, Running Eagle Falls in that area is also worth the short walk.

It's a bit of a winding drive from East Glacier over to St. Mary so if you want to spend time in Many Glacier I'd recommend getting a room there or in St. Mary.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Great info! I will go ahead and keep it a two day trip. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM

297 posts, read 793,173 times
Just chiming in to agree that the Two Medicine area is well-worth exploring. I think your in-laws would enjoy the boat tour.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

It is a gorgeous lodge. Last time we were there my son had a foot fracture so he couldn't hike, and my wife and I traded off days hiking with my daughter and hanging out in the lodge with my son.

I didn't get bored with the scenery!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM

106 posts, read 200,169 times
Really nice lodge there. I would check out the Scenic Point Trail if you're looking for an excellent day hike. It is one of my favorite all time day hikes; incredible views. Serrano's and the Two Medicine Grill have good food in town. Not a fan of the chow at the lodge. Enjoy Glacier...!

Happy Trails,

MtMnMan

Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks MtMtnMan!!! As a matter of fact, my son and I are hiking Scenic Point while the rest of the gang are sightseeing. Thanks for the tip on the food cuz I am sure we will be very hungry after the hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana