Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,115,307 times

Advertisements

Well this morning at the "ole fogey's weekly coffee get-together", one of my buddies mentioned that he may be moving to West Virginia!!! He is originally a rancher from Saco, MT, a life long hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman and moved to the B.R.Valley about 20 years ago after he lost his wife.

He's 80, (just a young-pup) and has a son and DIL that have been living in Charleston WV for about 20 years and they just both retired this year....the DIL is originally from WV and just recently inherited her "folk's place" that is on 10 acres, a mile off of a secondary highway about 10 miles NE of Webster Springs.
The son and DIL have agreed that they will sell their place in Charleston and move into her folk's place, which would allow them to have my hunting buddy move in with them...(he'd have his own room, bath and full access to the rest of the house etc.) They all get along well and said he definitely can bring his bird hunting dog as well.

My reasoning for giving all these details is to get opinions from many of you (particularly THREE RUN) as to what (you think) are the odds that my friend (a born & bred Montana guy) will be able to transition successfully into this area and what, I would guess is a somewhat different "lifestyle". He is still a capable driver, has a 4 year old 4WD P.U....he still enjoys shootin' clay birds and like me does some grouse huntin' in the fall and usually gets his White Tail every year.

He asked for my opinion on this situation and I told him that I have no knowledge of that area and I would be really guessing as to how it would work out..............however, I did take the liberty to mention that I know of a fella (guess who?) who moved here from WV a few years ago, is a total outdoorsman and would most likely be inclined to offer his comments and opinions, which I will pass on to my friend.

I hope you all feel that "this post" is appropriate..............my intention is to try and give my friend some meaningful info that may help him come to an intelligent decision.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,005,536 times
That's a tough call. Let me ask you this, at your age, would you be willing to move in with others? Share responsibilities? It might be a win win situation in that he would have a little help with cooking/cleaning, and yet be able to add a lot of wisdom and companionship to the mix. Does his son hunt? Would be really great if he now had a new hunting partner. It sounds like it's remote enough so he wouldn't feel boxed in with a big city.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:41 PM

19,723 posts, read 22,582,867 times
Well, depending on where you are in Webster Springs means a lot. 5 miles one way and you're close to the city, 5 miles the other way and you're in the country. You have to realize that WV is green, and hilly. You don't see 2 miles in any direction unless you are on a knoll on top of a tree and meaning to look that way.

There is a pile of turkey, black bear, white-tail and fishing all around those areas, so no outdoorsman would get bored, trust me.

That being said- I MISS WV horribly, mainly because of the hardwoods forest, the smell of the oak in the woodstove, the hog butchering, the deer hunting.. It's a visceral thing for me. I miss the damp smell of the rotting leaves on the forest floor, the hunting for ramps in the spring... But that's where I formed my life.

Now living in Montana? I love this place too, but I was not born or raised here. I still find it awkward to hunt in the open but I love bird hunting with my dogs). I see the entire Helena Valley from my front window- maybe 15 miles away to the city. I still can't get used to it. And I'm 46. I like this place, but it has not hit me yet as 'home'.

I figure if you're 80 and used to Montana, he'll feel the same way I do.

But WV is not a bad place to go to for family, and that is sometimes more important than anything. And that's exactly why why I am here in the west. We are closer to family. I miss WV, but my family is more important.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's a tough call. Let me ask you this, at your age, would you be willing to move in with others? Share responsibilities? It might be a win win situation in that he would have a little help with cooking/cleaning, and yet be able to add a lot of wisdom and companionship to the mix. Does his son hunt? Would be really great if he now had a new hunting partner. It sounds like it's remote enough so he wouldn't feel boxed in with a big city.
Thanks for your comments..........
Had coffee again this morning with my hunting buddy.............Yes his son does hunt, but is not as interested in it(hunting) as his dad is. He obviously likes the idea of having his son & DIL close by as he continues to proceed down the road into his "waining years", however (as many of us are reluctant to admit).....having lived alone for quite a few years, we "get-a-little-set-in-our-ways" and may find it somewhat difficult to become "more-flexible" in adapting to living "our-daily-lives" with a couple of other humans on a "24/7" basis..............OR, it might work out just fine --- no way (IMHO) to really know!

In regard to your question regarding "would I (at age 82 on this coming Tuesday) be willing to move in with others"?............my case is a little different in that my daughter & her husband live just 13 miles away on the other side of the valley. So, if & when that day comes for me, I really don't know how I would make a decision .

Fortunately, there is no-time-crunch for him to make a decision..............I suggested that after the son & DIL make their move and get settled-in, he schedule a month or so to spend out there and see how he likes it.......probably mid July to mid August would be a good time frame to see how he handles the hot & humid weather that he obviously is not used to.. Anyway, we'll see how it goes................

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well, depending on where you are in Webster Springs means a lot. 5 miles one way and you're close to the city, 5 miles the other way and you're in the country. You have to realize that WV is green, and hilly. You don't see 2 miles in any direction unless you are on a knoll on top of a tree and meaning to look that way.

There is a pile of turkey, black bear, white-tail and fishing all around those areas, so no outdoorsman would get bored, trust me.

That being said- I MISS WV horribly, mainly because of the hardwoods forest, the smell of the oak in the woodstove, the hog butchering, the deer hunting.. It's a visceral thing for me. I miss the damp smell of the rotting leaves on the forest floor, the hunting for ramps in the spring... But that's where I formed my life.

Now living in Montana? I love this place too, but I was not born or raised here. I still find it awkward to hunt in the open but I love bird hunting with my dogs). I see the entire Helena Valley from my front window- maybe 15 miles away to the city. I still can't get used to it. And I'm 46. I like this place, but it has not hit me yet as 'home'.

I figure if you're 80 and used to Montana, he'll feel the same way I do.

But WV is not a bad place to go to for family, and that is sometimes more important than anything. And that's exactly why why I am here in the west. We are closer to family. I miss WV, but my family is more important.
......Hey Threerun, thanks for your thoughts................

At coffee this morning I mentioned about the wild life and the close by fishing and he was glad that he could continue with those hobbies and interests. He also was interested in being able to be in an area with a lot of different "hardwoods" that would be changing into a variety of colors in the fall..........he has never been in that type of country in the fall.. He did ask about whether or not there was any wild hog hunting in that area......he said he'd really like to do that.

As mentioned above in my response to Elk, there is no rush for him to make (even a preliminary decision.)

Oh, what would your suggestion be as to when, in the year, he should go out there for a month's time.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,005,536 times
It is good that time is on his side. Spending a month to kind of test the waters is a really good idea.

Like you, I have kids that live in town, only 20 miles away, but there is a big difference between staying with them, or going home at the end of the day. Persoanlly, although I love my kids very much, I think I would find it very difficult to be with them full time. Like you say, having lived alone for so long, I'm set in my ways and they need to find their ways. haha I really think we would clash. Another good thing is that his kids are retired so there would be some common ground there. In my case, the kids are still working, so their idea about kicking back to relax is much different than mine.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM

19,723 posts, read 22,582,867 times
There are some boar in WV, but hunting them is really hard they reside in some really, really remote areas. If he is adventurous he can get into some really rugged and very remote country there. My buddy goes to GA every year and bow hunts those monster hogs down there.

Best time to go is either early to mid June before humidity starts to set in, or in the fall when the leaves start to peak out. I've said this before and I still mean it today- the ONE thing I miss the most is the cool fall nights with the smell of oak burning from a wood stove.

This was the creek that runs behind my old house. Threeruns. It drains to the Opequon Creek. That was one of most prolific tree stands for whitetail, and I would sit and listen to the water babble all morning.

This was my old house

Last edited by Threerun; 04-20-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Default Wild and Wonderful

I was born and raised in the central part of WV, in a neighboring county to Webster, Braxton. Webster county is a rural county with only necessities available. By this, I mean, there are gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, a small hospital with limited services, etc. The closest place for "shopping" as some might call it would likely be Summersville. There is a wal-mart there and a lowes; there's also an Applebees, Bob Evans, and a really good Mexican restaurant. As elk mentioned, where exactly you live in Webster Springs means a lot. A few minutes one direction you're up a holler, a few minutes another direction you're climbing the hill out of town. Having been to MT, I can tell you the landscapes are wildly different. Especially in Webster Springs, as someone mentioned before, 2 miles is probably the maximum you'll ever see unless you look straight up, or climb a tree on top a mountain.

The town of Webster Springs basically sits in a river valley between STEEP mountains on either side. Getting in and out of town involves climbing a mountain with multiple switch backs. These can be treacherous in the winter, but coming from MT he should have the ability to drive on snow.

The weather there consists of all four seasons. Summers are generally hot, high temps ranging from 70-100+ with humidity usually from 60-100%. Fall is beautiful, as the trees change color as the leaves fall, the nights are generally crisp and cool in the fall. First snowfall generally happens in October (occasionally earlier, sometimes later). Winters are reasonable, snow is come and go, and sometimes snow storms will dump 12"+. Unless we have cold fronts like we did this past year, the snow will only stay on the ground for a few days, then it will melt and leave most places a muddy mess until it gets cold again and another storm dumps more snow. Sometimes the snow here is very wet and heavy. I have seen many patients with heart attacks from shoveling this heavy, wet snow. So word to the wise, get a 4-wheeler or tractor with a plow and take care of snow that way. Spring generally starts around April and lasts until mid may, when the days start getting back into the 70's or higher.

Something that I don't recall seeing in MT is fog. Many summer and fall mornings and evenings, especially near the water, a thick fog can settle in the valleys and cut visibility down to nothing. The air is thick and has the smell of the woods (wet leaves and rich dirt). But I can tell you one thing... there's nothing finer than relaxing on a porch with a glass of sweet tea listening to the crickets and the bull frogs sing while lightning bugs flicker across the land.

People here are generally friendly and very open. It's not at all uncommon to run into someone and start with a general conversation and have it progress to something very personal. Most people in WV are extremely open and "haven't met a stranger." With that being said, people here are usually more than willing to help you in any way possible. We wave at everyone on the road as we pass and warn each other of the cop around the bend with a flash of the headlights. The major industry in the area is coal, but it is dwindling due to the obama administration's tougher policies. This has caused the area to run down over the past ten years or so and has moved people to areas with better jobs.

There is phenomenal fishing amongst the rivers in the area though. The Williams and Cranberry Rivers are some of my favorite trout fishing spots in the state. The Cranberry has an area called the "backcountry wilderness" that is only accessible by foot, bike or horse. It's a great place to pack in and camp for a few days and fish.

Hopefully these things answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernaut85 View Post
I was born and raised in the central part of WV, in a neighboring county to Webster, Braxton. Webster county is a rural county with only necessities available. By this, I mean, there are gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, a small hospital with limited services, etc. The closest place for "shopping" as some might call it would likely be Summersville. There is a wal-mart there and a lowes; there's also an Applebees, Bob Evans, and a really good Mexican restaurant. As elk mentioned, where exactly you live in Webster Springs means a lot. A few minutes one direction you're up a holler, a few minutes another direction you're climbing the hill out of town. Having been to MT, I can tell you the landscapes are wildly different. Especially in Webster Springs, as someone mentioned before, 2 miles is probably the maximum you'll ever see unless you look straight up, or climb a tree on top a mountain.

The town of Webster Springs basically sits in a river valley between STEEP mountains on either side. Getting in and out of town involves climbing a mountain with multiple switch backs. These can be treacherous in the winter, but coming from MT he should have the ability to drive on snow.

The weather there consists of all four seasons. Summers are generally hot, high temps ranging from 70-100+ with humidity usually from 60-100%. Fall is beautiful, as the trees change color as the leaves fall, the nights are generally crisp and cool in the fall. First snowfall generally happens in October (occasionally earlier, sometimes later). Winters are reasonable, snow is come and go, and sometimes snow storms will dump 12"+. Unless we have cold fronts like we did this past year, the snow will only stay on the ground for a few days, then it will melt and leave most places a muddy mess until it gets cold again and another storm dumps more snow. Sometimes the snow here is very wet and heavy. I have seen many patients with heart attacks from shoveling this heavy, wet snow. So word to the wise, get a 4-wheeler or tractor with a plow and take care of snow that way. Spring generally starts around April and lasts until mid may, when the days start getting back into the 70's or higher.

Something that I don't recall seeing in MT is fog. Many summer and fall mornings and evenings, especially near the water, a thick fog can settle in the valleys and cut visibility down to nothing. The air is thick and has the smell of the woods (wet leaves and rich dirt). But I can tell you one thing... there's nothing finer than relaxing on a porch with a glass of sweet tea listening to the crickets and the bull frogs sing while lightning bugs flicker across the land.

People here are generally friendly and very open. It's not at all uncommon to run into someone and start with a general conversation and have it progress to something very personal. Most people in WV are extremely open and "haven't met a stranger." With that being said, people here are usually more than willing to help you in any way possible. We wave at everyone on the road as we pass and warn each other of the cop around the bend with a flash of the headlights. The major industry in the area is coal, but it is dwindling due to the obama administration's tougher policies. This has caused the area to run down over the past ten years or so and has moved people to areas with better jobs.

There is phenomenal fishing amongst the rivers in the area though. The Williams and Cranberry Rivers are some of my favorite trout fishing spots in the state. The Cranberry has an area called the "backcountry wilderness" that is only accessible by foot, bike or horse. It's a great place to pack in and camp for a few days and fish.

Hopefully these things answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions, let me know.
.....Thanks very much for taking the time to provide all that info about the Webster Springs area. I will print it out and pass it along to my 80 yr old friend.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well this morning at the "ole fogey's weekly coffee get-together", one of my buddies mentioned that he may be moving to West Virginia!!! He is originally a rancher from Saco, MT, a life long hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman and moved to the B.R.Valley about 20 years ago after he lost his wife.

He's 80, (just a young-pup) and has a son and DIL that have been living in Charleston WV for about 20 years and they just both retired this year....the DIL is originally from WV and just recently inherited her "folk's place" that is on 10 acres, a mile off of a secondary highway about 10 miles NE of Webster Springs.
He went out there for 5 weeks.............see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Fortunately, there is no-time-crunch for him to make a decision..............I suggested that after the son & DIL make their move and get settled-in, he schedule a month or so to spend out there and see how he likes it.......probably mid July to mid August would be a good time frame to see how he handles the hot & humid weather that he obviously is not used to.. Anyway, we'll see how it goes................
Well, he was out there from mid-July to mid-August..........and decided,--------it ain't for him!!

The constant high temps....85 to 98F coupled with the HIGH Humidity 85% to 95%--- were almost un bearable for him-----remember now he is a eastern Montana guy!!
The other aspects of the particular area were he was (Webster Springs), it has far to many snakes. He saw at least 12 Timber Rattlers while he was hiking around the Webster Springs area,...some up to 5 feet long.............and (8) a non-poisonous snakes called a Black Rat snake that were up to 7 feet long!!
He saw about half of these snakes in and around three very old out-buildings that were on the 10 acres.

Since he would have his bird dog with him (if he moved).......he decided:... No, this area was not for him.
He did mention that the locals that he met were quite friendly and he even was given a pint of some "LOCAL MOON SHINE" which he really liked!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: