Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 108,837 times

Advertisements

Curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 01:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
What do you mean by "be gay?"

Old 04-30-2014, 01:37 PM

24 posts, read 108,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
What do you mean by "be gay?"
As in, if you're someone who likes the same-sex in a romantic and sexual manner, can you be accepted and enjoy Montana?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM

12 posts, read 46,593 times
Happy people rarely have issues anywhere. But sometimes they do.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM

297 posts, read 794,986 times
Montana as a whole does not have anti-discrimination laws bases on sexual orientation. Some towns have gone ahead and passed their own; Missoula was first, then Helena, I believe, and now Bozeman is debating the issue.

University towns are probably your best bet -- Missoula and Bozeman. But really, it's generally a live and let live state.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
It depends.
Personally, I don't care what your bedroom preferences are.
However, if you are one of the radical, in-your-face, I'm gonna flaunt my homosexuality all day every day everywhere types, you will probably have trouble, and your social life will be limited to those of like mind. But then, isn't that pretty much the case for everybody?
I'm sure I have known quite a few homosexual people in my life. Some I knew were, some I suspected, and many I had no idea. I like the "no idea" part. It is none of my business!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltale12 View Post
Curious.

You can be accepted anywhere if you choose to be.
The biggest issue people have with anyone no matter what their sexual preferance is the way they carry on about it.
Personally I could care less who you have sex with but please do not force your agenda or lifestyle in my face.
Live your life, do what you do but respect that others really don't want to deal with your visual difference whether you are gay, straight, trans, a hooker, a stripper or any other profession that is seen a "different"

Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It depends.
Personally, I don't care what your bedroom preferences are.
However, if you are one of the radical, in-your-face, I'm gonna flaunt my homosexuality all day every day everywhere types, you will probably have trouble, and your social life will be limited to those of like mind. But then, isn't that pretty much the case for everybody?
I'm sure I have known quite a few homosexual people in my life. Some I knew were, some I suspected, and many I had no idea. I like the "no idea" part. It is none of my business!
That's a dangerous attitude, in my opinion. It depends on what you mean by "in-your-face", but I'm pretty sure when a man introduces his wife to you, you realize he's heterosexual. Or when you see a teenage boy and girl holding hands or kissing, you realize they're heterosexual. If you saw the same thing happening amongst same-sex couples, you'd realize they're homosexual. Knowing someone's homosexual could be as simple as realizing who they're married to, seeing them hold hands, or seeing them give their partner a quick peck on the lips. I don't see any of that as in-your-face or making it your business, as it's the same type of stuff you'll see happening all the time amongst heterosexual couples.

Anyhow, OP, I don't live in Montana, but I have a cousin who has lived in Bozeman with her partner for over a decade now. They have two children together, and love living there. My aunt was worried when they moved up there that they would face discrimination, but apparently, she didn't need to worry. They both have great jobs, have made lots of friends, and their family is well accepted by others.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 AM

323 posts, read 308,415 times
For the most part, we're pretty laid back about how people want to live their lives.

It's when someone comes in from somewhere else and starts telling US how WE need to live that we get irked.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
That's a dangerous attitude, in my opinion. It depends on what you mean by "in-your-face", but I'm pretty sure when a man introduces his wife to you, you realize he's heterosexual. Or when you see a teenage boy and girl holding hands or kissing, you realize they're heterosexual. If you saw the same thing happening amongst same-sex couples, you'd realize they're homosexual. Knowing someone's homosexual could be as simple as realizing who they're married to, seeing them hold hands, or seeing them give their partner a quick peck on the lips. I don't see any of that as in-your-face or making it your business, as it's the same type of stuff you'll see happening all the time amongst heterosexual couples.

Anyhow, OP, I don't live in Montana, but I have a cousin who has lived in Bozeman with her partner for over a decade now. They have two children together, and love living there. My aunt was worried when they moved up there that they would face discrimination, but apparently, she didn't need to worry. They both have great jobs, have made lots of friends, and their family is well accepted by others.
"DANGEROUS ATTITUDE"?

WHY?

I don't care much for extreme public displays of affection, whether hetero or homo.
The phrase "Oh, for Pete's sake, go get a room!" comes to mind.
I certainly don't like what I have seen in news coverage of "gay pride" parades. Many of those people are just disgusting!
But then, they are trying to be, IMO. They have to be doing it deliberately, to upset people, there is no other reason to act like that!

" They both have great jobs, have made lots of friends, and their family is well accepted by others."
Probably because they are just "the folks next door". The kind of neighbors and co-workers that people like to be around. THAT, IMO, is all it takes to be accepted.
It really IS just that simple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana