Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,277 times

Advertisements

Some background: my family and I live in the mountains of El Dorado County in the northeastern part of CA. I'd like some generalities regarding the Helena and Missoula areas. We are prepared for harder winters than we have here, snow averages 5' in the winter and can drop 3-5' overnight in a "hard" year. We heat our home with a wood stove and gather our own wood from the national forest. I'd like a home with wood heat if we move. What is the availability of forest products for heat and gathering? I live in a town of less than 2000 and would like to keep it that way. Trips into town are an all day ordeal, groceries, fill up the tanks and load up on diesel in the fuel cans, hardware store etc. The garbage cans stay in the garage so the bears don't trash my driveway. The next coyote to bay under my window on a summer night is getting a 12ga slug. The transplants are the ones who get attacked by mtn lions because they're dumb enough to go jogging in their territory. Most of my clothes are Carhartt or Mossy Oak. I lose sleep the night before any opening day. I can transfer to Missoula or Kalispell and stay with my company but would like broader options. I'm a heavy truck/yellow iron mechanic/welder/fabricator. What's the job pool like for someone in my trade? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-28-2014 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Removed first statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 AM

297 posts, read 794,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainclamper View Post
I'd like the same info as the original poster. Some background: my family and I live in the mountains of El Dorado County in the northeastern part of CA. I'd like some generalities regarding the Helena and Missoula areas. We are prepared for harder winters than we have here, snow averages 5' in the winter and can drop 3-5' overnight in a "hard" year. We heat our home with a wood stove and gather our own wood from the national forest. I'd like a home with wood heat if we move. What is the availability of forest products for heat and gathering? I live in a town of less than 2000 and would like to keep it that way. Trips into town are an all day ordeal, groceries, fill up the tanks and load up on diesel in the fuel cans, hardware store etc. The garbage cans stay in the garage so the bears don't trash my driveway. The next coyote to bay under my window on a summer night is getting a 12ga slug. The transplants are the ones who get attacked by mtn lions because they're dumb enough to go jogging in their territory. Most of my clothes are Carhartt or Mossy Oak. I lose sleep the night before any opening day. I can transfer to Missoula or Kalispell and stay with my company but would like broader options. I'm a heavy truck/yellow iron mechanic/welder/fabricator. What's the job pool like for someone in my trade? Thanks in advance!
Helena and Missoula are both much larger than 2000 people. The Missoula Valley, outside of the town, is getting pretty crowded. Wood stoves are prohibited in Missoula itself because of the inversions. If you consider trips into town "an ordeal" then these areas probably wouldn't be any better.

Don't know about the job market for your profession, sorry.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM

28 posts, read 60,791 times
Quote:
I'd like the same info as the original poster. Some background: my family and I live in the mountains of El Dorado County in the northeastern part of CA. I'd like some generalities regarding the Helena and Missoula areas. We are prepared for harder winters than we have here, snow averages 5' in the winter and can drop 3-5' overnight in a "hard" year. We heat our home with a wood stove and gather our own wood from the national forest. I'd like a home with wood heat if we move. What is the availability of forest products for heat and gathering? I live in a town of less than 2000 and would like to keep it that way. Trips into town are an all day ordeal, groceries, fill up the tanks and load up on diesel in the fuel cans, hardware store etc. The garbage cans stay in the garage so the bears don't trash my driveway. The next coyote to bay under my window on a summer night is getting a 12ga slug. The transplants are the ones who get attacked by mtn lions because they're dumb enough to go jogging in their territory. Most of my clothes are Carhartt or Mossy Oak. I lose sleep the night before any opening day. I can transfer to Missoula or Kalispell and stay with my company but would like broader options. I'm a heavy truck/yellow iron mechanic/welder/fabricator. What's the job pool like for someone in my trade? Thanks in advance!

The lions in my 'hood (and I'm in Eastern Washington State--foothills of the Cascades) regularly take out neighbors' dogs. Last year, a neighbor had a horse disemboweled while it was still alive. Ugh.

As to the coyotes beneath your window. Oh god, the coyotes--little bast@rds. They're "cute" except at 1 AM when they start howling outside my window...or taking down a screaming fawn at the same hour. Enough to make you peel your fingernails off the ceiling.

The bears, thankfully, visit my deck only once in a while...but I'm in their playground, so I expect it.

As for opening day, I generally tell the hunters that I shoot back.

I doubt the 'burbs of Missoula/Kalispell would be any different.

I agree with AnnieA, you might want to start a new thread since this one is so old.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
I don't know if there are any reasonably priced properties in the area but you could look into Georgetown Lake. The nearest town, Anaconda, is pretty little. I don't know what your budget is or how much property costs but could be worth a look. If you do like the Helena area consider the Clancy area which isn't too far away or Boulder.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Some background: my family and I live in the mountains of El Dorado County in the northeastern part of CA. I'd like some generalities regarding the Helena and Missoula areas. We are prepared for harder winters than we have here, snow averages 5' in the winter and can drop 3-5' overnight in a "hard" year.

Most of Montana doesn't get that kind of snow, although I have seen that around Bozeman. Usually we get more cold than huge snowfalls, but if we do get snow, the wind stacks it neatly in drifts

We heat our home with a wood stove and gather our own wood from the national forest. I'd like a home with wood heat if we move. What is the availability of forest products for heat and gathering?

Wood permits are easy to get, lots of beetle kill pine so there is a lot of standing dead wood, so not a problem except around Missoula where the inversions will prevent you burning your stove.

I live in a town of less than 2000 and would like to keep it that way. Trips into town are an all day ordeal, groceries, fill up the tanks and load up on diesel in the fuel cans, hardware store etc. The garbage cans stay in the garage so the bears don't trash my driveway. The next coyote to bay under my window on a summer night is getting a 12ga slug. The transplants are the ones who get attacked by mtn lions because they're dumb enough to go jogging in their territory.

Townsend would probably be a good fit, about the right size, 30 miles from Helena, and while bears occasionally come to town, you are more likely to see a deer on your lawn or a moose on the street.

Most of my clothes are Carhartt or Mossy Oak. I lose sleep the night before any opening day. I can transfer to Missoula or Kalispell and stay with my company but would like broader options. I'm a heavy truck/yellow iron mechanic/welder/fabricator. What's the job pool like for someone in my trade? Thanks in advance!
The clothes and hunting would be idealic for you here. Those kind of attitudes fit right in with the majority of the state.

The big problem is jobs.

There isn't a lot of heavy industry aside from contracting homes around Helena, however, Billings has a great industry base in support of the Bakken, and lots of great little towns within easy commuting distance.

I would reccomend you look there. You don't have the forest close by, but it is accessable close by, and the work opportunities are much better than the western side.

Plus, Billings is the bannana belt of Montana. Not as much snow, warmer winters. It can get hot in the summer, but no humidity.

Good Luck

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
There are many towns in Montana with 2,000 or less people. There are even entire counties with fewer people than that.

Both Helena and Missoula have communities and/or rural living within commutable distances.
Both also have national forest areas where you can buy a nominal cost personal wood gathering permit.

The forests in both areas have huge beetlekill. If you do bring wood home, do not stack it under your yard trees or they could become infested. Call the county agent at county extension service for advice prior to bringing such wood home.

Another large source of firewood is salvage wood from forest fire areas. Also log home builders and small sawmills sell low cost ends & scraps.

Last edited by historyfan; 04-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
I don't know what you consider a reasonable communte but communities such as Elliston, Avon, Lincoln, Seeley, Ovando, Helmville, Wolf Creek or even Townsend could work. They're all small towns outside of Helena except Seeley is closer to Missoula. Ovando and Helmville could commute to either.

Boulder is a small town halfway between Helena and Butte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana