U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,738 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to the Flathead county area probably around Kalispell area up in the mountains maybe 30 min from town ( I drive know about 20 min to get to town)
,. My question is if I bought property could I live in my 5th wheel trailer until I could afford to at least put a modular home on it or a shed with a wood stove and a bathroom in it? , (2) how's finding jobs ? experience in water district, security guard and phlebotomy
I have a minimal paying job here in California at 10.40hr so wages would not be hard to adjust to from what I have read.
I am so sick of living here in California I am ready just to move by the way I live up in the Sierra Mountains real close to Lake Tahoe so I am sure I could adapt to the even colder weather.I love to hunt fish and build things I guess I am a Redneck/mountain person, my ancestors have come from Montana and I just feel a calling to head there.
Its hard to try and find web site that give you the answers your looking for so thought I would try here

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,320,087 times
About the 5th wheel trailer: you'll need to put it under some kind of sturdy shed roof for the winter--the snow can make the roof cave in. We wanted to park our camper-trailer on our property over in North Idaho while we're building a cabin, but everybody told us it just won't hold up to the weight of the snow, so now we winterize and store it. Other than that, you should be able to keep warm, at least for one winter season.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM

629 posts, read 1,448,939 times
30 minutes from town covers quite a bit of area and it's not all going to have the same zoning so whether you can put a 5th wheel on it will really depend on the specifics of the parcel you buy. I've known people who have put their trailers on the land while working on it in the summer, but like Clark Fork Fantast said, I don't know of many who have done so in the winter.

Keep in mind that land/property is pricey in the Flathead. I don't know what kind of savings you have, but $10.40 an hour probably isn't going to go real far when it comes to buying something. Not saying that to discourage you, but just make sure you have some idea of your options and prospects before you make the leap.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,738 times
Thank you for the information. my wife is going to take a fly up to Kalispell next weekend to see if she likes the area. Already thought abut building a shed roof and some insulated walls around the trailer if we where going live in it.
work wise I am sure I can find something that pays more than I make here and if I can make it here at 10.40 hr I am positive I can make it up there.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 AM

Tell your wife to take a drive west on Highway 2 to Troy, or even to Bonner's Ferry, ID. That's really only about 2 hours max from Kalispell. The landscape is more wooded, but it is beautiful, and property values are lower (somewhat). The Kootenai River is nothing short of spectacular. At this point you may be able to find 5-10 acres with a modular home already on the property, or a fixer-upper, but I'm sure property values are on the rise again. But this should actually be a pretty good time to be a buyer.There are some reliable realtors in Libby who can help (I think ours was called DeShay or DeShelle), if you find an area you like--but of course work is still going to be an issue. You can try to do some quick research on Realtor.com and set your own parameters (max price, power to the property, well, distance from town, etc.)

Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM

160 posts, read 235,968 times
Jack DeShazer is the realtor to see in Libby. Although I didn’t purchase any real estate from him (I chose another area) I found him to be a first class individual.

I also agree with CFF. Look at parcels already somewhat developed (Well, septic, power, modular home, etc.). You’ll spend more up front but you’ll save many many thousands overall.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:04 PM

DeShazer! That was it! Glad you had a good experience with his office, too, cumminszhere.One of his agent really went the extra mile for us. We didn't buy real estate there, either, because we found what we were looking for in Clark Fork, but we would have gone ahead with confindence if one of his properties had been the right one for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or