U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 PM

120 posts, read 307,940 times

Advertisements

I'm English and my wife and kids are American. We moved from London 13 years ago to Sarasota Florida, then about 5 years ago to Los Angeles.

We absolutely hate LA and socal.

We've pretty much settled on Montana to move to, but are not sure exactly where.

I'm into IT support, networking/hardware etc.. working on programming currently. As well as full time video editing.

My wife is a part time photographer but mostly admin type jobs.

Our two girls are 7 and 11.

So the question is what cities would fit our requirements the most.

We are looking for outdoors stuff, hunting, food garden, chickens probably. Decent availability of jobs. We'll be renting first. Schools need to be good.

The cold isn't an issue at all. Personally hate the hot had enough of it.

Really looking for a place with a friendly family atmosphere so what can you guys suggest. Hopefully i've provided enough info to help.

I also wanted to mention, i'm open to doing new jobs as well, as long as the pay is $45k and up, currently make about $70, but completely dont expect to make that out there.

Last edited by firetraq; 07-09-2014 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM

11,856 posts, read 15,508,506 times
Billings has a little more to offer in the way of jobs. Housing is pretty varied there as well.

Helena is a pretty tight job market, lot's of government. You might look at working for the state in IT if you really like Helena.

Butte- another really tight job market. More affordable to live, but tight labor market.

Hunting and fishing abound anywhere, so that would not be a deciding factor (for me). I live in North Valley Helena and I love it. My neighbors have chickens, some have some goats.. But we are not in an HOA (and prefer it that way).

My preference (opinion) is the following: Helena, Billings then Butte.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Cool, thanks for your reply, I have a friend in Butte, might have a line on an IT job there already. Helena, does seem to an option as well, seems like you said to have a bunch of Government jobs there.

I cant stand HOA's so will never live in one.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM

anymore info would be great.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 PM

10 posts, read 23,452 times
From those three cities and the requirements, my gut instinct would say Helena then Butte, but I'm partial to this part of the state. Bozeman would be in the running for me, especially with IT, admin jobs, photography, video editing. Maybe Bozeman is over saturated in those areas, or maybe it's a great breeding ground for those things.

Have you visited any of these cities yet? What's your feeling for them so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana