Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 PM

347 posts, read 521,429 times

Advertisements

I've been a lurker for a long time, but finally decided to register and post. This is my first post ever. I've lived in Montana for over a year, in a rural area, and I love it. It does have it's shortcomings, but so does every place. I guess if you live in one of the more urban areas in Montana, this wouldn't apply to you, but for my fellow rural/country dwellers, do you guys and gals find yourselves driving a lot for various reasons? I do, just because my small town lacks many things. I'm not complaining. It's just the way it is. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I've been a lurker for a long time, but finally decided to register and post. This is my first post ever. I've lived in Montana for over a year, in a rural area, and I love it. It does have it's shortcomings, but so does every place. I guess if you live in one of the more urban areas in Montana, this wouldn't apply to you, but for my fellow rural/country dwellers, do you guys and gals find yourselves driving a lot for various reasons? I do, just because my small town lacks many things. I'm not complaining. It's just the way it is. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Welcome to life in Montana. Unless you're in one of the big cities you're going to be driving a lot for various reasons. Since I lived in Montana for 16 years (and have lived in Wyoming for eight) driving a lot doesn't really faze me anymore.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,401 times
I was looking at the map where my hope-to-be ranch is, and it's at least an hour in any direction to the grocery store! LOL Where does one get gas and a soda around here!? Wait, is it soda or pop in Montana? Does anyone know if there is a convenience store in Broadview? No, seriously. I was on Google street view in Broadview trying to figure that one out.

I'm no stranger to rural living, but rural in the South and rural in Montana are two different things! The furthest I've lived from a major town was 40 miles, but where I lived that was 40 minutes. NO ONE drove less than 65 and most did 75/80 in those parts. If we didn't, we wouldn't have gotten anything done! Google maps is telling me it's 1 1/2 hrs (~30 miles) to Billings, and 1 hour (~15 miles) to Roundup. I suppose that's based on the grade roads I would have to travel.

My most challenging rural driving was deep in the Appalachian mountains of NW NC. I drove my son to school every day, 17 miles and about 45 minutes one way. We were on the tail end of the bus route, and if he rode the bus, he had to be up at 5 AM and at the bus stop at 5:45 for a 2 1/2 hour bus ride. No way was I going to allow that! If I didn't pick him up, he wasn't home until 5:45 PM. Now that's rural living!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I lived in WV for many years. You're gonna be driving a heck of a lot more in Montana trust me, lol.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

30 posts, read 51,867 times
We're 48 miles to get a loaf of bread.
Seems like someone always needs to run to town for something? So yeah there's lots of road time.
We do tend to make a list, have it ready for the next person to go.
We always ask? "anybody need something from town"?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
Another yes, we are 8 miles down a logging style road. Generally if we go to town its a all day affair. Nearest big town is Missoula and its a 100 mile trek one way.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM

347 posts, read 521,429 times
I appreciate the responses. Thank you. From at least two of the responses, where I live sounds like a metropolis compared to what some of you describe. LOL!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I was looking at the map where my hope-to-be ranch is, and it's at least an hour in any direction to the grocery store! LOL Where does one get gas and a soda around here!? Wait, is it soda or pop in Montana? Does anyone know if there is a convenience store in Broadview? No, seriously. I was on Google street view in Broadview trying to figure that one out.

I'm no stranger to rural living, but rural in the South and rural in Montana are two different things! The furthest I've lived from a major town was 40 miles, but where I lived that was 40 minutes. NO ONE drove less than 65 and most did 75/80 in those parts. If we didn't, we wouldn't have gotten anything done! Google maps is telling me it's 1 1/2 hrs (~30 miles) to Billings, and 1 hour (~15 miles) to Roundup. I suppose that's based on the grade roads I would have to travel.

My most challenging rural driving was deep in the Appalachian mountains of NW NC. I drove my son to school every day, 17 miles and about 45 minutes one way. We were on the tail end of the bus route, and if he rode the bus, he had to be up at 5 AM and at the bus stop at 5:45 for a 2 1/2 hour bus ride. No way was I going to allow that! If I didn't pick him up, he wasn't home until 5:45 PM. Now that's rural living!
Hey hymnsinger...........................

Your post got my attentiom...............I've lived in MT 35 years and actually traveled around the state for almost 40 years, and never had heard of Broadview

One thing that caught my attention: Population in 1920 was 191.........in 2010 it was 192

Another thing: The land area of the town is:....1/4 sq mile!!

If and when you end up settling down there, I'm sure you'll like it. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey hymnsinger...........................

Your post got my attention...............I've lived in MT 35 years and actually traveled around the state for almost 40 years, and never had heard of Broadview

One thing that caught my attention: Population in 1920 was 191.........in 2010 it was 192

Another thing: The land area of the town is:....1/4 sq mile!!

If and when you end up settling down there, I'm sure you'll like it. Good luck.
Not only that, I noticed that the population spiked in 1930, only to drop drastically. Turns out 1/2 the town burned to the ground in 1934!

Broadview

I did notice that the City-Data page for Broadview has erroneous info on it. It lists: Nearest cities: Lavina, MT (3.7 miles ), Northwest Yellowstone, MT (4.0 miles) , Ryegate, MT (4.8 miles ), North Stillwater, MT (5.0 miles) , Klein, MT (5.1 miles) , Billings, MT (5.2 miles ), Shepherd, MT (5.3 miles) , Camp Three, MT (5.3 miles).

I don't know how they calculate those distances, but wow!

Also, the Food Environment Statistics are WAY off, with 16 grocery stores, etc. Sounds more like Yellowstone county stats.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Broadv...#ixzz39b0BOtXS

I have also learned that there is a Hutterite colony nearby, Mountain View Colony. Should be interesting!

Hutterite colonies produce Montana's egg supply

I really hope I get that place out there!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Don't pay any attention to the "Nearest town distances" listed don't he City Data facts pages. Their calculator doesn't work and hasn't since I have been a member.:-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana