U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 49,400 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Montana from Seattle, mainly because I have lots of work there for the next 10 years and really don't want to do the weekly commute but also am tired of living in the city. I do have a home in the mountains here, but unfortunately, it has been polluted by the Railroad and the Dept. of Ecology has decided that it needs to be dug up and restored - which means it won't be livable until 2015.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone in this forum is active, politically, where they live. I am reading about a lot of unfortunate development and am sorry that this has to happen to such a beautiful and prior "untouched" place. I used to visit Missoula all the time when I was in college at EWU...

My advice is to take your comments here and put the heat on the town council, the local newspapers and the county governments. Make them enact zoning laws that keep the developers out (there are probably local developers making the money as well, not just "out of staters"). And, if there are existing zoning laws, keep the heat on them to enforce them. Most local governments won't if it means money in their pockets. The "outsiders" won't be able to "ruin" your home if you don't let them. People do have a voice, and believe it or not, the politicians and newspapers do listen if you bug them enough (I have personal experience with victories even here in Seattle).

Peace to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM

102 posts, read 239,024 times
Ya we don't want none of them "developers' satisfying human needs by building homes for people to realize their own dreams. What we need is a bunch of shiftless, couldn't hold a job, political hacks shaking down people trying to make a living by throwing up obstacles that cost everyone more in the end. In my county it is conventional wisdom that "fees" add an additional cost of 15% to the ultimate selling price.

Most of the NIMBY's in California parade around as Sierra Club advocates, or Coastal Commission, or "Save the ______ fill in the blanks" types. The one thing ALL these people have in common is they have theirs (property/homes, etc.) and desire creating artificial barriers to others who wish to exercise their property rights. Reduce supply, with a very real demand and ya got exploding costs for a all. A sweet deal if you got the stomach for it I guess. Call up your local councilman and see if you got the stomach for telling other Americans how they should utilize their property is my advice.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalCalifornian View Post
Call up your local councilman and see if you got the stomach for telling other Americans how they should utilize their property is my advice.
I have the stomach to demand zoning BEFORE property is bought - you bet! You can't say that developers are not raping this country. I see it everywhere I travel. Obviously, Montana cannot support the growth that is happening and the real estate agents and developers are "conning" people into homes that they eventually will not be able to afford.

If you want them to develop there, then there needs to be an economy to support it. This is not the outskirts of LA or SFO.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,886,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygal12 View Post
Hi,
I am moving to Montana from Seattle, mainly because I have lots of work there for the next 10 years and really don't want to do the weekly commute but also am tired of living in the city. I do have a home in the mountains here, but unfortunately, it has been polluted by the Railroad and the Dept. of Ecology has decided that it needs to be dug up and restored - which means it won't be livable until 2015.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone in this forum is active, politically, where they live. I am reading about a lot of unfortunate development and am sorry that this has to happen to such a beautiful and prior "untouched" place. I used to visit Missoula all the time when I was in college at EWU...

My advice is to take your comments here and put the heat on the town council, the local newspapers and the county governments. Make them enact zoning laws that keep the developers out (there are probably local developers making the money as well, not just "out of staters"). And, if there are existing zoning laws, keep the heat on them to enforce them. Most local governments won't if it means money in their pockets. The "outsiders" won't be able to "ruin" your home if you don't let them. People do have a voice, and believe it or not, the politicians and newspapers do listen if you bug them enough (I have personal experience with victories even here in Seattle).

Peace to all
I would check your attitude at the state line, this is what the people of Montana have a beef with is the stick your nose in my business attitude of others, and by the way I am not from Montana but very few would know it. Don't come here and change things and start with the zoning and regulations. and by the way there may not be a city council, local newspaper, in all the parts of the state, people tend to deal with each other in a direct way, not the back door lets get the feds in here way.

Last edited by Mt-7; 12-26-2007 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I would check your attitude at the state line, this is what the people of Montana have a beef with is the stick your nose in my business attitude of others, and by the way I am not from Montana but very few would know it. Don't come here and change things and start with the zoning and regulations. and by the way there may not be a city council, local newspaper, in all the parts of the state, people tend to deal with each other in a direct way, not the back door lets get the feds in here way.
I didn't say anything about the feds (in fact, I think they are completely useless).... And what attitude would that be? Disgust with developers who rape the land? There sounds like a lot of very frustrated people on this forum and I have seen this kind of thing happen all over the country. I don't want to change things, I don't have time to "stick my nose" in your business and in fact I am a very private person who likes to live simply and contribute to my community, which is why I dislike living in Seattle.

Maybe zoning is not the answer - I don't care either way, its just something I have seen work in small towns that became popular - you know, one of those "Best Places to Live".

Don't judge me before you know me, I have lived in small towns all my life and know how it goes. I was kicked out of my town in the mountains here in Washington because of the destruction of the environment by the Railroad, who is subsequently trying to rip off the townfolk with their "settlements" - so don't blame me if I am VERY suspect of big business: that includes Developers who rape the land without any thought of what they are doing to the communities and the environment. And from what I have heard on this forum, they are out of control in Western Montana.....I saw this same thing happen in Arizona - now there are whole neighborhoods in foreclosure down there.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 627,665 times
Quote:
I have seen this kind of thing happen all over the country.
But here we like to voice or opinion like no other!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRead View Post
But here we like to voice or opinion like no other!
That's great. However, after reading through these posts (and from the attitude of the non-Montanan above, who lives there now?), I believe Montana is a little too unfriendly and negative for me. So, I'll do you all a favor and move to Oregon instead and just commute to Montana each week (I have work in both Oregon and Montana). I'm not one to "invade" upon someone's territory. Funny, but most Montanans that I have met (through work and travel there) are very welcoming and friendly, even with us liberal types

I'm sure you don't need someone like me contributing to the community, buying goods and services and paying property taxes (for roads and schools).

Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 627,665 times
Quote:
That's great. However, after reading through these posts (and from the attitude of the non-Montanan above, who lives there now?), I believe Montana is a little too unfriendly and negative for me. So, I'll do you all a favor and move to Oregon instead and just commute to Montana each week (I have work in both Oregon and Montana). I'm not one to "invade" upon someone's territory. Funny, but most Montanans that I have met (through work and travel there) are very welcoming and friendly, even with us liberal types

I'm sure you don't need someone like me contributing to the community, buying goods and services and paying property taxes (for roads and schools).
That's what I like to hear, LOL. We are not that bad, just hiding behind this computer screen kind of lets some of the worst out in some of us.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,354,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
When the people set up a city government, vote on and set up ordinances and laws, then go behind the city, I think it's those people that are back dooring the system.

As far as any citizen, making the city do their job and if the job jeopardizes the free spirit of the people, then the people need to get envolved and change the city gov or their ways. To enforce city planning and ordinances, is NOT "sticking anybody's nose in your business". It's called responsible government. You have the opportunity to vote for it.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or