U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,879,314 times

Advertisements

My favorite getaway lake to fish is Fishtrap lake. It has small cutts but the best part about the place is the strange floating meadows ! All these logs drifted to the end of this lake and grass eventually grew on the log jam. It's a few miles north of Thompson Falls and Plains in a remote area. There is a killer Bass pond just across the river (Clark Fork) near Quinn's Hot Springs. You have to go down the river by boat and tie up on the rocks on the opposite side of the river from the highway. You climb up the bank and cross the tracks and go down a trail to the pond. It is jam packed with Largemouth Bass and almost nobody fishes it. On the Lolo forest map it is located and called "Bass Pond"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,919,920 times
Now that is my kind of fishing! Sounds like there are all kinds of spots like that there.........can't wait to get in the thick of it all.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,879,314 times
A few years ago I caught a nasty looking old brook trout next to the quarter circle bridge in Glacier park. It was twenty six inches long and I caught it on a 1/4 oz black and white rooster tail. When I was bringing it up the bank the old ratty fishing line I was using broke and I just caught it in time before it went back in. I then wrapped what was left of the line around my hand and halfway across the parking lot the line broke again ! I don't know how I managed to land the thing. Anyway I ended up giving it away to a tourist. He was going to tell his brother that he caught it !
Many times I have been fishing at the quarter circle bridge with a smaller cutthroat on, and some monster bull trout will try to gobble up my trout, chasing it as I reel it in.
I also once watched as a big bull trout munched on a rainbow trouts back, chasing it back and forth and pinning it down. This happened right in a small creek running right through our campsite in Idaho near Salmon. I think the fishing in Idaho is way better than most places in western Montana. I wish I had an Idaho fishing licence, I'd like to fish the Saint Joe.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,919,920 times
After all that you gave it to a tourist........ hillarious! hehehe. A 26" Brook is enormous! How much did it weigh? I don't care how ugly it was a taxidermist would make him look real nice!

Ya, Trout can end up being some wicked bait. In the Alleghany Reservoir and River, where my cabin is located, if you were to put a 12- 13" rainbow on a gigantic hook and give it a toss......WOW LOOKOUT......Musky time!!!! And pretty quick too. If there is one in the area he will be along in short time.

Just don't get caught with that Rainbow on the hook that way . The PA Game Wardens will just love you.......

On the topic of Trout as bait, what I find amazing is that pretty much all the streams leading to the Alleghany River (which is a pretty big river system) are stocked with hundreds of thousands of Trout early spring yearly. In the middle of summer when me and the family do a lot of cruzing and playing around on the river, I do a lot of fishing there. It is next to impossible to find Trout in the Alleghany River let alone catch one. Now I know these mountains pretty well and mosty of the streams and such that are stocked and there is no way that hundreds of thousands of Trout are being taken each year by fisherman. IMPOSSIBLE! All the streams lead to the river so where are all the Trout going once they end up in the river?

It is my guess that they are getting gobbled up my the Pike and Musky floating around.......Only thing I can think of. I even asked a Warden one time and he had no answer. I didn't expect much of an answer from him anyway.....if my question would have been regarding the writing of a ticket or something like that for not having a long enough ancor line, I would have had an encyclopedia type answer preached to me . Pretty much all those guys are worth in PA! hehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana