U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,155,331 times

Advertisements

You know that the 120 acres you'll be moving to is on the reservation? All of the area of St. Ignatious is on the reservation. Not sure if your finance is also Native American. We have a lot of Native Americans in Montana and they're an important part of our history and culture. The reservation around St. Ignatious is one of the few that allow non-Native Amreicans to own land, and just want to make sure you're aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM

45 posts, read 256,785 times
I personally love the St. Ignatius, Ronan, & Polson areas.....that is where the majority of my family currently is. I hoping to move near Missoula or Kalispell in the next couple of years.

I lived near Ronan from 85 until 96, at which time I decided to move to Colorado Springs for more job possibilities & to be near other family members. I love it here, but everytime my family comes to visit me or I go to visit them I am down in the dumps for weeks. I miss them to much & I hate that I am missing out on so much with my nieces & nephews.

Weather wise it is more humid in MT than here in CO, & CO gets a lot more sunny days.....even if it is freezing cold. But it will be worth it to be closer to my family.

Kelly

Old 03-14-2008, 05:16 PM

50 posts, read 181,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonTx View Post
Hey all....... I'm am Thinking about moving to Montana and I've never even been there...I'm Wanting to find a Small Town...Where I can find a house and enjoy the country life as I know it.. My problem lyes here though I'm not going to have a chance to go see where i want to live before i move it's kinda gonna be an adventure.. LoL.... So I was Curious if anyone knew of some Nice small towns in a good area with good country people that I might like....
First of all, I admire your tenacity to move to an area that you have never visited. A lot of people come to Montana this way, and many end up disappointed because "Camelot" is still a lot like where they came from. We still have the same problems and, in some cases, new problems that people from other areas never encountered. That being said ...

I love living in Montana, warts and all. However, I knew going in what I was going to encounter. What saddens me is people who come with unrealistic expectations of what Montana is, only to be disappointed and then blaming the locals for not welcoming them. Montana is a diverse state/nation. It is bigger in area than most countries in the world. Small towns vary in this state from COUNTY TO COUNTY! Each county/region in Montana has experienced unique events that have formed their collective culture. A number of posts here have proven that.

Please... if you truly want to fall in love with Montana and make her a part of her life--please court her and visit her first. You will gain the peace of mind you need to make the right decision.

Many of the great small towns in Montana have been mentioned, but again, please come and visit first.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,203 times
I actually do like the Polson and Kalispell areas, like I said before, the tourists and the smoke from the fires are pretty much all you really have to take into consideration, besides the sorry wages they pay here. Great skiing in whitefish, 2 costcos, good malls, lots of trendy areas to hang out at as well as ample opportunity to "get lost" if you need to.
As far as the part about people not liking Californians, well I guess I am speaking for myself. You will be amazed at how many people really are from Ca., and it's funny tha they are sometimes the ones that bad talk us. But it is true that the Californians have a bad stigma because they are the ones responsible for the property values going up, making it pretty much impossible for native Montana people to buy a house. They have a bad reputation of selling out in Ca., to move to the "sticks" and buy these huge houses only to spend one winter here and sell out and move on again, leaving a property only moderately wealthy or well to do people can afford to purchase. Don't get me wrong, I have learned it is not only the Californians these days, it is people pretty much from all the neighboring states that come here and start a new life. Unfortunately we (Californians) are left with the stigma of the bad behavior of previous "migrants". Cheers and good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:49 PM

139 posts, read 420,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
Best small towns in Montana are in western Montana. I'm from the Bitterroot, and I may be a *little* biased, but Stevensville, Corvallis, and Hamilton are some of my favorite places in the world. You can't go wrong... beautiful scenery, virtually no crime (aside from DUI's and such), very friendly people (expect to be waved at by random strangers in pickups), and a nice breath of fresh air. Believe me, the Bitterroot is wonderful.

Also, you may want to look at the Flathead area... Whitefish is GORRRRRRRGEOUS. Sorry, LSU, but you're making it seem as though Whitefish isn't a nice place...? It's really very nice.

I'm going to recommend the southwestern part of the state. It really is very nice.
Sure, the Bitterroot and Flathead Valleys are the most beautiful places in Montana, (I grew up in Hamilton) but to pick up and move to those areas isn't easy. I was away in the Navy for a few years and came back...to Montana, but not Hamilton. Too expensive and not enough good-paying jobs. If you work in the medical community..i.e. RNs Transcriptionist..et al, you can relocate to the Bitterroot. I am getting a degree up in Havre, so maybe one day I will be back in the Bitterroot...or Missoula at least...or I might just continue living like a fatcat up here on the Hi-line.

In short, income is going to dictate where you live in Montana. Western Montana= already established or wealthy to relocate. Central Montana= great relocation opportunity. Eastern Montana= why in the world move there?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 12,988 times
Californians are more than welcome... welcome to stay home that is and I dunno... try making Cali "like it was in the old days" instead of moving up and trashing & over-developing MT just like California's been thoroughly trashed: Carving homes out of the wilderness, disturbing/driving out & starving/killing off native wildlife; paving over the Bitterroot valley, carving up & splintering ranches & farms in the name of unrestrained development (greed); taking the good jobs so our own kids have to move out of state to find decent opportunities; driving home prices up several-fold, again driving our own children & young families out of state; infringing on your neighbor's water rights often illegally (can't tell you how many times I've heard this happening to friends & family) so you can water your lawns & animals on your "hobby farm/ranch"... the list goes on & on.

You can't run from your problems, in fact you bring them with you where ever you go (see above) - even to God's country up here in MT. This goes for anyone, not just picking only on Californicators, which is no doubt why so many recent transplants are increasingly less than welcome to say the least.

Bringing your own ways & mindsets/politics from "back home", where ever that is, and trying to impose them on your new neighbors who have always lived like we do doesn't set well & it's getter worse by the day. ("When in Rome..." ring any bells people?)

If you like Californian lifestyles, money, pretentious cars, pretentious "estates" & Californian (or eastern) views on land use/public access, etc., then don't move to MT. Plain & simple.

Many Cali/out-of-state/foreign absentee land-barons and transplants seem to have their own narrow, pretentious illusions of what MT is, or should be made into and so often pull bonehead stunts such as trying to halt age-old hunting & fishing access on "their" land, where hunting & fishing has always been a public right since before this was even part of the USA. There is a vast divide in land use & public access views held by recent transplants in stark contrast with long established tradition & law. Way to make friends & influence people (think you're better than us & know better than we do huh?)...

Most Montanans are, despite our many faults, like good folks from most states across our great nation (including Cali) - willing to give you the shirt off their back if need be, but there's a limit... Show some damn respect for the place, the history, existing way of life & the people where you think you want to move to, or do yourself a favor *do us all a favor for that matter* & stay home, making "back home" everything is should & could be instead of "escaping" north to your own "private utopia" in the mountain valleys of W. MT.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,879,314 times
Wink Get over it !

Californians are getting pushed out of California because of the federal governments failure to control the borders. They have to go somewhere and Mt. is just one of the places they are going. There is nothing you can do about it so ya might as well get over it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana