U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 21,190 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm contemplating a relocation to Havre. I'm originally from rural Maine, so I'm familiar with long, cold snowy winters and having more trees around than other people.

The job prospect I have up there is a great one, so I'm really only concerned with knowing a bit about the people, how friendly they are to newcomers, etc. I've seen pictures of Havre, I basically know what I'm getting into in terms of cost of living, availability of amenities -- and I know it's a long, long way from anyplace else in MT.

I'm just curious to hear some impressions from folks who live or have lived in northeast Montana, which doesn't seem to get discussed much on these forums.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 PM

51 posts, read 211,846 times
You will like Havre --- I also live along the HiLine (highway 2) and to be honest the people in the NE corner are more friendly in my experience. I have been here 12 yrs and yes the winters are cold -- snow isn't so much the issue as the cold biting winds. Glasgow is 2 1/2 hours east of Havre but still a ncie community --- safe, family oriented and actively seeking new economic opportinites. Let me know if I can answer any ?? for you.
How did you find your job --- Mt to Maine is a long way??

Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 16,788 times
We may have a job opportunity in Havre as well and looking for resources for real estate pricing and anything else that might be helpful? thanks.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydreaming View Post
Hi all,

I'm contemplating a relocation to Havre. I'm originally from rural Maine, so I'm familiar with long, cold snowy winters and having more trees around than other people.

The job prospect I have up there is a great one, so I'm really only concerned with knowing a bit about the people, how friendly they are to newcomers, etc. I've seen pictures of Havre, I basically know what I'm getting into in terms of cost of living, availability of amenities -- and I know it's a long, long way from anyplace else in MT.

I'm just curious to hear some impressions from folks who live or have lived in northeast Montana, which doesn't seem to get discussed much on these forums.

Thank you!
Well, for starters, Havre, Montana (Bullhook Bottoms as it was once called) is not located in the northest of Montana, but rather, the northcentral portion.

Great Falls, Montana, is it's closest larger city, 120 short miles and you can shop till you drop if you want to, and Havre is the largest city on the highline. The 8th largest city in Montana.

It's nothing for us to jump in the truck and drive up for pie and coffee in Havre. I do have more than a few friends that live there.

People?...... Are some of the friendliest you are ever going to meet.. be prepared for folks you don't even know, waving to you as you pass by.
The friendly folks in Montana can be found from just east of the CD, all the way to the North Dakota border.

Northcentral and eastern montana don't have much of a problem with newcomers at all. As most who live in these areas are native born and love to meet new folks.

Havre is still a part of the "Real Montana". Good friendly hard working folks, great mommy networks, and true neighbors helping neighbors.

If Great Falls didn't exist, I would most likely be living in Havre.

Havre is filled with alot of historical value, and if you move there, a tour through Underground Havre should top your to-do list. You won't be far from the Beartooth Mountains either, they can be seen from Havre. Havre is the primary business center for the highline.

---

Stay up-to-date on the Havre Highway US2 Project

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 07-21-2007 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,954,785 times
Havre has its own Wal-mart, which surprised me when I drove through a while back. It's not as economically depressed as the smaller towns of the hi-line.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

121 posts, read 361,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post

Havre is filled with alot of historical value, and if you move there, a tour through Underground Havre should top your to-do list. You won't be far from the Beartooth Mountains either, they can be seen from Havre. Havre is the primary business center for the highline.

---

Stay up-to-date on the Havre Highway US2 Project

First of all, Havre is NOWHERE NEAR the Beartooth Mountains. I am beginning to have serious doubts that GiftShoppeGuy is indeed from Great Falls because anyone from Great Falls should know that Havre is about 30 miles from the Bear Paw or Bears Paw Mountains (controversy over which name should be used with some folks) which look NOTHING like the Beartooth Mountains.

Second, trees are scarce around Havre except for some cottonwoods along the tributaries and planted trees in town. The prairie in the area has its own quaint charm but to someone from Maine, used to pine trees, Havre would be quite a shock.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Yes, it is unbecoming of a Great Falls resident to ever make a typo, such as typing "Beartooth" instead of "Bear Paw." No typos allowed! For shame, Giftshoppeguy

Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 PM

In any case, here's the wiki article on the Bear Paws:

Bear Paw Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
First of all, Havre is NOWHERE NEAR the Beartooth Mountains. I am beginning to have serious doubts that GiftShoppeGuy is indeed from Great Falls because anyone from Great Falls should know that Havre is about 30 miles from the Bear Paw or Bears Paw Mountains (controversy over which name should be used with some folks) which look NOTHING like the Beartooth Mountains.

Second, trees are scarce around Havre except for some cottonwoods along the tributaries and planted trees in town. The prairie in the area has its own quaint charm but to someone from Maine, used to pine trees, Havre would be quite a shock.
Well ooops... My bad I suppose...... Sounds like a coffee date to me.... and in Havre at that.... because there is absolutely no doubt about my residing in Great Falls... heh heh.

Actually, I moved from Missoula to Great Falls in 1991...... and, I could never post the pics and know the folks that I do in my weblog (broken link) if I "weren't" from here.

As far as trees?...... I don't recall ever suggesting "trees" at all.

Oh, and I would've written Bearpaw, and not Bear Paw...... as if it would've mattered anyway.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 16,788 times
Is there any water in Havre? Any Lakes, rivers, streams, nearby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana