Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsommertime View Post
Labor Day will be full, so will the weekend after. But, it won't be AS many people so it's your best bet! It should be warm, but as always, you can never be sure. One thing to remember: NO TENTS! You have to have a hard top camper/trailer in order to camp in Glacier. This excludes tend trailers. They have grizzlies there. I would say, go to Polebridge on the Westside of the park. It's just an old fashioned mercantile in the boonies. They have great home baked goods and it's real neat. Seems weird that it's just there. Hope this helps.
Why no tents? Our boyscout troups use tents every month on campouts even in winter. As long as you follow food storage/garbage rules there shouldn't be any problems. Just come prepared for any kind of weather because that's what you'll get. As for the shuttles, they only run during the summer and the free ones just started last summer. They were such a big hit that they'll definately be back!
If there are any detailed questions you can always call the park, the rangers are very friendly and helpful and many are local school teachers and such during the winter when the park is in shut down mode.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
All the people hiking and camping in the back country aren't packing hard sided campers on their backs. Also if a bear wants in your camper shell because he can smell the bedtime snack you're munching on, those flimsy camper walls and windows will not protect you. I have only talked to two Glacier Park officers recently and I don't think they were regular rangers. Their squad car said "Law Enforcement" on the door. They checked my fishing licence and snooped around my rig. They were extremely rude and snotty to me and acted huffy and put out as they left. Everything was legal and in order and I had a definite feeling that they were disappointed they couldn't find anything to ticket me for !
Jut a note for folks coming to Glacier Park, the forest area near the River bridge at west Glacier has lots of low laying poison ivy. Be careful while walking in the woods near that paved bike trail. Nature called one day and I walked through a bunch of it and trust me, having poison ivy is not a fun way to spend the summer ! A Glacier Park official once told me that Montana as a whole has Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and two types of Poison Sumac .

Last edited by Rickers; 01-15-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Text added

Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Hmmm, that's interesting Rickers. When we moved here and as recently as last summer I've always enquired about poison oak/ivy as I tend to get a real good reaction (once as a kid my whole face swole up and I almost couldn't see for a week) and I was told it didn't exist here. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised and I guess will have to watch my step a little more. As for the bear thing you're absolutely correct! I don't care what you bring, in fact go ahead and leave donuts on the seat of your car and see how fast a bear can open it up for you.... They've got it down to a science, just where to pull the door or hit the window.
As for the rangers, yeah, I've seen a couple of them driving around town lately in the "enforcement" pickups. Sorry you had a bad encounter with them, as far as I can tell that's pretty rare. I've been stopped by forest service and deputies while on my ATV and they were pretty cool... Maybe a bad day for them?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 PM

152 posts, read 457,369 times
Hello again everyone

I'm leave for GNP tomorrow

thanks for the helpfully suggestions. I don't have much for plans but i did reserve a night in the back country lodge. the one you have to hike to get to. Ill come back here when i get back and post some photos if you want ( or do it anyway even if you protest :P ) looking forward to 3 days worth of driving ( if I'm lucky) and spending some where between 4-6 days in the park.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 AM

152 posts, read 457,369 times
Hello everyone

Here are some pics from my trip to Glacier. The trip was great! I meat a lot of really nice people. Someone was even nice enough to give me a ride from Many glacier all the way to logen pass which was where my car was after i hike from there to many glacier.

The night i spent in the black country lodge was alsome highly recommended to everyone.

More Photos are in uploaded to my gallery if you are interested

Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
Beautiful pictures! Glad you had such a wonderful trip

Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Where's that 5x5 been for the last month ???? My 300 mag has had outstanding ongoing appointments with him but he has failed to show for any of them !!!

NICE Pics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana