Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM

49 posts, read 129,569 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm looking at some properties in Roundup and Mosby and have a few questions about these locations. What is the weather/wind like? I notice there are not a ton of trees around the properties I'm looking at. Is this the norm for these areas?

Would these places work for us or is there another area that would fit us better?

We are looking to move where we can build a small home, have a med/lg garden, some animals ect. We are looking to have a self sustaining property for our family. We would like to be close to fishing and hunting as well. We do not want to be in a large city and dont mind seclusion or "being stuck" in the winter. Would love trees around as well.

Not worried about work as we work from home. Not worried about schools as we homeschool.

Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Dry, dry, dry. You need see well logs for producing water wells in area to see if water is even available deep.

If there are no trees, it means groundwater is non-existent and rain is minimal.
Much of any available groundwater in Roundup area is undrinkable even for cattle.

I can not speak to Mosby, except that it is very dry there--sagebrush dry. And gumbo is there--so gardening not likely.

Rule of thumb in Montana undeveloped land real estate, if it is cheap it is undesirable. Good land that grows good grazing grass in remote areas is desirable to livestock producers and would not be for sale to developers.

If you want to post listings for specific comments, many here will give you frank information.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Thank you historyfan! The one property I'm looking at in Roundup is in the Bull Mountains. The one in Mosby is near the Mussleshell River. I'm not close to go look at them as I'm in a different state at the moment lol. The photos look nice and green though just not a lot of trees in the photos.

I love hearing from those in the areas as they have first hand knowledge of the area while I do not. I appreciate any and all feedback about it.

Thank you again for your response. Those are things I will be looking into now that I didnt think of.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Are these 20 acre parcels?

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are these 20 acre parcels?

Yes they are

Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Ok. These are likely junk. If you want to direct message me, I will look at the listings for you. We have bought & sold ranches over the years so have familiarity with most likely of the state. I can think of several areas to direct toward that are much better than those two general locations. Unless I am wrong & the two you are considering are ok.

You have buyer advantage to being able to locate without employment or school considerations. Do you need high speed internet and/or access to an airport and/or reliable delivery service(UPS, USPS, FedEx) for your business, and how distant (in hours) from medical services are you comfortable with?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Ok. These are likely junk. If you want to direct message me, I will look at the listings for you. We have bought & sold ranches over the years so have familiarity with most likely of the state. I can think of several areas to direct toward that are much better than those two general locations. Unless I am wrong & the two you are considering are ok.

You have buyer advantage to being able to locate without employment or school considerations. Do you need high speed internet and/or access to an airport and/or reliable delivery service(UPS, USPS, FedEx) for your business, and how distant (in hours) from medical services are you comfortable with?

I will message you with some listings I have been looking at! Thank you so much for your help.

Don't need high speed internet, or airport. I'm good with a p.o. box for things I really need (not business related). I'm pretty well versed in natural care. The last time we were at the doctor for something wrong was about a year ago. So, I would be comfortable being a few hours away. We are perfectly happy to go very remote lol

Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Watch out for flood areas along the Musselshell. It can get out of hand like no small river you ever saw, except for maybe the Sun River at Great Falls. You can find photos of the whole town of Roundup underwater from the 2011 floods, with just the roofs sticking out for any building not on high ground. Here's a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_M...ll_River_flood

Gallery: Roundup flooding

This picture is the main highway south, I think.

Here's a video, and a whole bunch more in the sidebar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpoxj5RHSro

There's no cell service in a lot of that area, if that's a consideration.

Figure if you're on a hill, water will be as far down as whatever is the nearest surface water, plus a little. Drilling in rock costs extra.

I can point you at a local realtor who knows the back reaches pretty well, if you like.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Thank you for this information. Definitely something to take into consideration. I would appreciate the Realtor info. Can you message it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Watch out for flood areas along the Musselshell. It can get out of hand like no small river you ever saw, except for maybe the Sun River at Great Falls. You can find photos of the whole town of Roundup underwater from the 2011 floods, with just the roofs sticking out for any building not on high ground. Here's a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_M...ll_River_flood

Gallery: Roundup flooding

This picture is the main highway south, I think.

Here's a video, and a whole bunch more in the sidebar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpoxj5RHSro

There's no cell service in a lot of that area, if that's a consideration.

Figure if you're on a hill, water will be as far down as whatever is the nearest surface water, plus a little. Drilling in rock costs extra.

I can point you at a local realtor who knows the back reaches pretty well, if you like.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:38 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana