Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Clarker, but Troy & Libby worry me w/ asbestos. Unfortunately off our list for now, I think.
Those aren't the only towns in the area. Thompson Falls is as pretty a place as you could find, and only about 1/2 hour from Troy. Noxon is about a 15-20 minute drive from Troy, both are clean and have a lot of great people.
Plains is just a little further south-east, and while a lot dryer, is still a very nice community.

That part of the state is pretty remote in many ways, but you aren't that far from services either from Missoula, Kalispell or the towns in Idaho.

If you live outside of town in Libby or Troy, away from any of the mine tailings, you shouldn't have any issues anyway as most of the problem in Libby for example is pretty much centered on the mining works and the town itself, not on the surrounding area and if you have a newer home there, with all the cleanup, you still would minimize your exposure, but I would probably reccomend looking at other great towns in the area.

Thompson Falls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
^^^
Absolutely--Highway 200 has so many terrific little communities along the river. I prefer that entire stretch over Highway 2.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Well we may need to go up to visit & figured staying in Troy would be better for a short time, if so. At least it'd be the best place to setup healthwise too for awhile, to look around at homes, etc. Trying to do this so much from AZ isn't doable nor easy, haha. But at least I have the go-ahead from you all on the asbestos/vermiculite health situation. Thnaks again thus far.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 AM

You're doing the right thing! Come up when temps hit 110 in AZ, and enjoy nights that don't get above 60 degrees! You'll finally be able to breathe...

We haven't stayed at the log cabins, but it looks like a cute place, and the price is right:
Troy Montana Log Cabins

I suggest you also spend a few days in Sandpoint, because that's where you will be doing some of your shopping, and you'll enjoy the views and the restaurants! You can do a great loop, going west on Highway 2 along the Kootenai River to Bonner's Ferry, then south on 95 to Sandpoint (1 hr. 15 min), and back to Troy going east along Highway 200, and north on 56 (1 hr 45 min). We do that loop in summer just for the views of the lake, rivers, and mountains.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 38,538 times
Libby is a beautiful area. Eureka is......nice.....but not really much there except Canadians passing through.
I recommend anywhere in the Flathead Valley. Best mixture of everything that makes MT great.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 AM

138 posts, read 266,104 times
If you like your nearby amenities and more of a suburban feel, somewhere around the Flathead is the place to be. If Eureka was a little closer to skiing (Whitefish) and had even a small hospital, (closer than ~75 miles) I'd probably choose there. Also, in case you weren't aware.. expect to get about 1/3 the amount of sun you're used to in AZ... especially in Winter.

p.s. we're spending the winter renting on the lake near Polson.

Last edited by snowave; 03-07-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 PM

21 posts, read 44,508 times
The Bull River Health Center in Noxon recently opened a brand new clinic. They welcomes all senior citizens in the area as well as patients who need urgent care. The clinic was closed for several years but has now reopened under sponsorship of the Sandpoint Hospital. Noxon is one of the most beautiful areas in Montana; however, rentals are difficult to come by. I, myself, am looking for a decent, six-month rental in that region. Moved here from Florida in early January and am searching for just the right property to purchase but would prefer to look carefully before I make a final decision. Any suggestions for a possible 1 or 2 bedroom rental
would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately, I have found a good job and successfully survived my first Montana winter (LOL). All that's missing now is a comfortable place to lay my head at the end of a busy work day. I love Montana! It is, indeed, the last best place.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakita View Post
The Bull River Health Center in Noxon recently opened a brand new clinic. They welcomes all senior citizens in the area as well as patients who need urgent care. The clinic was closed for several years but has now reopened under sponsorship of the Sandpoint Hospital. Noxon is one of the most beautiful areas in Montana; however, rentals are difficult to come by. I, myself, am looking for a decent, six-month rental in that region. Moved here from Florida in early January and am searching for just the right property to purchase but would prefer to look carefully before I make a final decision. Any suggestions for a possible 1 or 2 bedroom rental
would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately, I have found a good job and successfully survived my first Montana winter (LOL). All that's missing now is a comfortable place to lay my head at the end of a busy work day. I love Montana! It is, indeed, the last best place.
Welcome to the neighborhood! If I'm qualified to bid you welcome--we're building a retirement home outside of Clark Fork, so we're only part-time residents for now. Thanks for posting the Health Center info. Our place is closer to Heron than to Clark Fork --we're almost on the border-- and knowing there is an Urgent Care facility in Noxon now is invaluable to us. What a relief!

I agree, the CF River Valley is one of the most beautiful places in the entire NW. And you haven't even experienced a NW MT summer yet! Glad you've found a good job, because they are really hard to come by. I wish I could help with rental info. You may want to post a notice at the Heron, Noxon and Clark Fork post office bulletin boards, and the Clark Fork and Heron Pantries. You might also try Trout Creek if you don't mind traveling a little farther. But if you're looking for a laundromat, one opened up last summer at the Clark Fork Lodge on 200!

We had dealings with two realtors in Heron, and all I can say is if you're looking for property you will want to double-check everything...I'm not saying they can't be trusted, but "Trust, but verify" would be the best piece of advice I can give you. When we bought our place 7 years ago there were many more properties available just across the border in Idaho, at more reasonable prices. I don't know if the situation is the same now with all the changes in the real-estate market. If you think my experiences may be of any help to you, feel free to DM me.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 03-20-2015 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana