U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,723,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyr View Post
Why blame Californians? just because you were concieved in the back of the barn in goobersville Mt, doesnt give you more rights to the area than someone who happened to be born in another state. Last I heard, we are all Americans. Besides, ive met a heck of a lot more families that are from Minnesota and Wisconsin than i have from California- why don't you cry about them? Also, instead of crying over your precious timber jobs, learn a new trade, or go back to school so that you can be competitive in today's changing job market. You only have to blame yourself if your not happy with where your at. As for me and my mcmansion, we are happy.
Well, gorsh, I guess I struck me a nerve (sic). Nobody with any sense likes the litigious nature of Californians or especially likes their preservationist attitude. Particularly when they sue to preserve the things they like but use their banker's dollars to destroy what they do not. Just because CA PACs have brain-washed 2 consecutive governors into thinking Montana doesn't need natural resource jobs, that doesn't mean the average Montanan believes so. Trading natural resource jobs with living wages for tourism and hospitality jobs is the STUPIDEST THING ANY ECONOMY CAN DO!!! Minnesota and Wisconsin PACs don't get involved in Montana politics but Californians and their PACs feel they have all rights and reasons to do so. Minnesota and Wisconsin have plenty of natural resource jobs and are generally in favor of killing them. Californians sure are! The ones that aren't are leaving for other states just like Chevron did last year. That is why I detest Californians. On average, I have found native Californians, the ones from urban areas, to be ignorant boobs as to where the things they need for their high-end Westen lifestyle come from and God/Buddha/Shiva/the Universe/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Kardashian forbid that anyone make a living from that.

Last edited by flyingcat2k; 03-07-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
There is always a market for quality.
I agree with that. My dad's issue is that he doesn't do a good job of educating potential local customers about his standards and construction. I think he would do better in urban areas who typically have had other high-end chains or local businesses educate them on similar goods. When they see the price differential, those urban customers would buy. Like I said, he does far better on etsy than he does at local shows.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:31 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,967,018 times
I was unable to locate on Etsy.

I prefer to purchase quality antiques due to the excellent craftsmanship rather than furniture store merchandise. It may be in Montana that his potential customer base has similar buying habits. If his furniture is a potential future heirloom, I think he could do well. The arts buyer is likely his base. I would suggest he get his work in galleries & museum/art gift galleries rather than the craft art fairs. Those goers are more log furniture type customers. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:02 PM

110 posts, read 282,609 times
Well, im from cali- doing my best to make things in the flathead better- make it more like, well, California! ! My first idea is to officially change kalispell to calispell. Have fun in tulsa- i hear its real nice there!!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:18 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,361,415 times
Quote:
Well, im from cali- doing my best to make things in the flathead better- make it more like, well, California! ! My first idea is to officially change kalispell to calispell. Have fun in tulsa- i hear its real nice there!!
That's too bad. I guess some will never learn.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,765,841 times
Quote:
While probably just being facetious, that's the exact reason folks feel the way they do about Californians here.

Just an FYI.

We're happy to take money from folks with that attitude, just spend it and go back to san francisco, or la or wherever you come from.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:51 PM

823 posts, read 577,410 times
Back to the original poster, it all depends on what you are making, and how it is styled. My wife and I looked at a "farmhouse" style table that was built by a local furniture maker. The table, allthough beutifull, weighed in at over 300 lbs. It was solid wood with gorgeous inlays. It was way too heavy. The other problem was the price. $1,600.00 for a table was too much. We wound up having a local carpenter make us an unfinished table for 400.00. I stained it and polyed it myself.

So if you have lots of options, and actually make stuff that regular folks can afford, you will do well. But if you only cater to the high dollar crowd, you will suffer from slow sales.

By the way, there is tons of quality furniture, made with solid wood, and real construction, coming out of vietnam. With the age of the internet, you are competing against the world, not just wally world.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:17 AM

11,822 posts, read 15,437,707 times
Appleton Furniture is a local Helena business and they craft a lot of furniture here. It's some pretty nice furniture and they seem to sell well in town. They also carry some brand names, but you can tell what they make compared to others. Generally a higher quality..

Appleton Furniture and Design Center in Helena, MT

We bought our daughter a desk there, (adult size- not student size). It's not as arts and craftsy as some displayed on their site. It's a solid, nice hand me down quality piece of solid wood furniture with great attention to construction and detail. It certainly didn't break the bank.

They are some really nice folks to talk to as well.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I agree with that. My dad's issue is that he doesn't do a good job of educating potential local customers about his standards and construction. I think he would do better in urban areas who typically have had other high-end chains or local businesses educate them on similar goods. When they see the price differential, those urban customers would buy. Like I said, he does far better on etsy than he does at local shows.
Does he hit Billings' big home-improvement show too? tho I just heard the minimum booth cost is $500 so gets expensive if you don't sell at least a couple pieces. He knows there's a local woodturning club, right? 2nd Weds. of each month, 7pm at the Roaring 20s clubhouse, a block south from 74th and Grand. Some members do other woodworking too.

Me, I like solid wood. Can't afford to buy nice premade pieces, tho, so I scrounge other folks' castoffs and refinish 'em. Would like to get into turning. Don't figure I'd ever sell anything local, but... yeah, yonder is Etsy, and my sister's workplace in S.F. does an annual gallery and they sell a lot of artsy-fartsy pieces there, so...

My granddad built furniture with seams so tight you couldn't hammer a in razor blade... I seem to have missed out on those genes, cuz I cut it three times and it's still too short!

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Does he hit Billings' big home-improvement show too? tho I just heard the minimum booth cost is $500 so gets expensive if you don't sell at least a couple pieces. He knows there's a local woodturning club, right? 2nd Weds. of each month, 7pm at the Roaring 20s clubhouse, a block south from 74th and Grand. Some members do other woodworking too.

Me, I like solid wood. Can't afford to buy nice premade pieces, tho, so I scrounge other folks' castoffs and refinish 'em. Would like to get into turning. Don't figure I'd ever sell anything local, but... yeah, yonder is Etsy, and my sister's workplace in S.F. does an annual gallery and they sell a lot of artsy-fartsy pieces there, so...

My granddad built furniture with seams so tight you couldn't hammer a in razor blade... I seem to have missed out on those genes, cuz I cut it three times and it's still too short!
I don't know that he's gone to the wood turning club meetings. I will ask him. He's big into using Carvewright to do decorative touches into his furniture. He has done some meetings with that group. He's not into artsy-fartsy so much as nice decorative furniture. The Carvewright machine allows him to do carvings into the furniture if the client wants them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana