U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM

774 posts, read 2,304,793 times

Advertisements

My husband has an interview in Glendive in the next couple of weeks so we are considering the town for relocation.

We are currently in a large city (but rather unhappily). We really don't require large city amenities (and use precious few of those available to us now!). We live within 5 minutes of a large shopping mall, but have only darkened its doorway once in the past year or so. All evidence of how un-urban we are in terms of desired "amenities" and "culture". I'm a native of large cities (and have no use for them) while my husband is from a series of very small rural communities. I realize I'd be in for culture shock, but I think it would be of a positive nature considering my current city of residence. We similarly have no desire to change anything about any of Montana or the area. We certainly have no desire to replicate our current city there. We're country people stuck in the city.

Is anyone familiar with the schools there? Are there gifted programs available in any of them? I understand the schools are exellent; is my understanding on the mark? I understand there are a couple of grocery stores and a K-mart, so the basics would be covered, right?

How is accessibility to airports in the event of a family emergency back here? I realize it would be a good little drive to one of any size, but I'm concerned more about the passability of interstates in winter in terms of getting to an airport. Is this a huge concern (snow-closed interstates) on the way to Billings or to whatever other good-sized airport is closest?

I realize a concern many have about Glendive is isolation. Are the interstates typically clear enough that one could make a monthly drive to a town with a Target and the like or is this area snowbound most of the winter?

Is there an active Methodist, Presbyterian, or other similar mainline Protestant church in Glendive? Our social lives seem to center on church activities - well, that and outdoor activities.

Speaking of which, my husband's most vital question - how's the fly-fishing? He is positively impatient to attack the Yellowstone River.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Last edited by tigergal; 01-14-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:31 PM

12 posts, read 33,138 times
First things first. The roads can be impassable and may even be shut down for a while. They also don't get plowed so ice stays around for a long time. There is sand thrown down. The rest of winter is the bad part. It's very cold and windy. The remoteness is another factor and if you think you can handle a lack of amenities then you might be ok. There are two grocery stores and the Kmart isn't very impressive, and thats considering Kmarts. The summer is also REALLY HOT! I know weird this far north and you still sweat like a dying dog. Let your husband know that there isn't much for good flyfishing this far east. The nearest good river to Glendive is going to be the bighorn ( I think ) down by Billings.

Another note is that the housing prices are really high due to oil pumping picking up and attracting the ever popular rough necks. Just make sure you really double check everything before you head out this way. You may want to move down around AZ, lot's more stuff and better opportunities for a family.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismford View Post
First things first. The roads can be impassable and may even be shut down for a while. They also don't get plowed so ice stays around for a long time. There is sand thrown down. The rest of winter is the bad part. It's very cold and windy. The remoteness is another factor and if you think you can handle a lack of amenities then you might be ok. There are two grocery stores and the Kmart isn't very impressive, and thats considering Kmarts. The summer is also REALLY HOT! I know weird this far north and you still sweat like a dying dog. Let your husband know that there isn't much for good flyfishing this far east. The nearest good river to Glendive is going to be the bighorn ( I think ) down by Billings.

Another note is that the housing prices are really high due to oil pumping picking up and attracting the ever popular rough necks. Just make sure you really double check everything before you head out this way. You may want to move down around AZ, lot's more stuff and better opportunities for a family.

Why in the world would someone who hates heat as I do want to live in Arizona? I already live in a sauna and have experienced the dry heat of Montana in the summer and find it to be far more comfortable. Interesting about the flyfishing, is the Yellowstone River no longer suitable for fishing as it was a couple of years ago?

"Lots more stuff" isn't what we're looking for at all, really. I live near "lots of stuff" and can't wait to be away from it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,663,952 times
a lot of people wouldnt find glendive to be a great relocation destination but some people like it there just fine and you may be one of those people.i guess when you go for the interview you will be able to get some idea whether it looks like a place you would like.i dont know much about fishing but i know they catch those huge ugly paddlefish around glendive.eastern montana is very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.the interstate is generally going to be open in the winter,but always carry some sleepingbags and basic supplies in your car just in case you have a problem.if you visit glendive in winter and like it you will probaly like it ok in summer too.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 24,790 times
I'll try to help as I live in the "big city" of Glendive. It does get cold here in the winter (I've seen it go down to -32) and really hot in the summer (116...I never knew what central air was until I moved here). The cold usually doesn't last too long. We just plug in our cars, bundle up, and get on with life. The roads in town do get plowed and they put down sand on the intersections and chloride (?) on the main roads. They rarely shut down the interstate. It has to be REALLY bad before they will. Your ability to drive on bad roads (how bad is too bad) is the main thing. I personally won't go on the highway if it's icy but my hubby thinks nothing of driving on ice in a blizzard. We have a k-mart that has basics but nothing really great. Wal-Mart is 70 miles west of here (Miles City) or 100 miles east of here (Dickinson). When we go we just make a day of it. We don't have trout in the river on this end of the state. The river freezes up in the winter. The ice usually breaks up about March when the snow starts melting in the mountains in western MT. The water gets really muddy because of the silt that comes in from the Powder River near Miles City. We do have sauger, walleye, catfish, pike, sturgeon, and paddlefish. There are a few ponds around here and there that do have trout, bass, crappie, and blue gill stocked in them. There is a swimming hole in town that has some. The paddlefish migrate (right word?) through glendive during the June rise (river is high due to snow melt in the mountains). They are ugly but boy are they fun to catch! Imagine trying to reel in a fish that can weigh anything from 6 pounds up to 200 pounds. It's a blast! I can't tell you much about the churches. I suggest you call the Chamber of Commerce. Maybe they can put you in touch with someone from the local churches. Housing is hard to find here because of the oil field workers moving in. There are no rental houses to speak of at the moment. There are a few homes for sale. Alot of folks are bringing in modulars or building. OK, nothing like western MT, but alot for Glendive. I remember there was a headline in the paper a few years back that said "Glendive has building boom" because we had two new building permits. What a hoot! OH, almost forgot about the airport....We have a small airport and we do have flights out of here to Billings and Dickinson. Big Sky Air. Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,811,890 times
Big Sky Air recently went down the tubes, but look for a cool little airline out of the mountain west to take over soon. (Sorry, can't say too much on that.)

Small charters are a great way to get around in rural areas in the mean time! (and are staffed with good people that have a great attitude and won't make you feel like a number!)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
Reply to Maiden Mt. That was a nice response you had to the person whoes husband has a interview in Glendive. I hope i can be as lucky on a response when we get ready to relocate to Mt. from Mn.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden-Montana View Post
I'll try to help as I live in the "big city" of Glendive. It does get cold here in the winter (I've seen it go down to -32) and really hot in the summer (116...I never knew what central air was until I moved here). The cold usually doesn't last too long. We just plug in our cars, bundle up, and get on with life. The roads in town do get plowed and they put down sand on the intersections and chloride (?) on the main roads. They rarely shut down the interstate. It has to be REALLY bad before they will. Your ability to drive on bad roads (how bad is too bad) is the main thing. I personally won't go on the highway if it's icy but my hubby thinks nothing of driving on ice in a blizzard. We have a k-mart that has basics but nothing really great. Wal-Mart is 70 miles west of here (Miles City) or 100 miles east of here (Dickinson). When we go we just make a day of it. We don't have trout in the river on this end of the state. The river freezes up in the winter. The ice usually breaks up about March when the snow starts melting in the mountains in western MT. The water gets really muddy because of the silt that comes in from the Powder River near Miles City. We do have sauger, walleye, catfish, pike, sturgeon, and paddlefish. There are a few ponds around here and there that do have trout, bass, crappie, and blue gill stocked in them. There is a swimming hole in town that has some. The paddlefish migrate (right word?) through glendive during the June rise (river is high due to snow melt in the mountains). They are ugly but boy are they fun to catch! Imagine trying to reel in a fish that can weigh anything from 6 pounds up to 200 pounds. It's a blast! I can't tell you much about the churches. I suggest you call the Chamber of Commerce. Maybe they can put you in touch with someone from the local churches. Housing is hard to find here because of the oil field workers moving in. There are no rental houses to speak of at the moment. There are a few homes for sale. Alot of folks are bringing in modulars or building. OK, nothing like western MT, but alot for Glendive. I remember there was a headline in the paper a few years back that said "Glendive has building boom" because we had two new building permits. What a hoot! OH, almost forgot about the airport....We have a small airport and we do have flights out of here to Billings and Dickinson. Big Sky Air. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Sorry for the delay in checking back in!

If the interstates are clear most of the time, that's my primary concern. (I fear moving so far from family and there being some sort of crisis where I need to get back and can't!) The heat won't bother me. I know the saying "it's a dry heat" is annoying to folks out there, but it really does make a difference. We spent about a month around 110 last summer with humidity around 85-90%, so it was really miserable here. I prefer the cold to the heat as you can always add a layer, but there's a limit to how much you can take off!

I think as long as there's some sort of mass merchandiser (Kmart) there, I could deal with it - using it for things like cleaning supplies and basics you need to run out for on occasion. I can always make the 200 mile trek to Target occasionally!

Do you have any experience with the schools? How are they? Our child is in a gifted program now and I understand they don't have them there, but am wondering if the schools are good?

DH explained to me why they don't have trout in that area. (I understand on part of the little Missouri that trout are available.) He's equally into the idea of fishing for just about anything. He can always travel on weekends to get in his trout-fishing fix!

Thanks so much for the information!

Last edited by tigergal; 02-10-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
a lot of people wouldnt find glendive to be a great relocation destination but some people like it there just fine and you may be one of those people.i guess when you go for the interview you will be able to get some idea whether it looks like a place you would like.i dont know much about fishing but i know they catch those huge ugly paddlefish around glendive.eastern montana is very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.the interstate is generally going to be open in the winter,but always carry some sleepingbags and basic supplies in your car just in case you have a problem.if you visit glendive in winter and like it you will probaly like it ok in summer too.
Honestly, compared to Memphis, just about everything is a great relocation destination! Summer will have to be a vast improvement over here because it won't be heat added to humidity and pollution!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,850 times
My folks used to live in Froid which is not far from Glendive. Dad said they put up a fence to keep the Arctic winds from tipping the farm up on its south end. The only fence that could stay standing was a one strand barb-wire, and it whistled like so many ghosts whenever the wind picked up. And at night it sounded real spooky and made shivers creep down their spine. Otherwise, they enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana