U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM

113 posts, read 120,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Cleaned up? You mean it could be worse than a pigsty used as a murder victim dump site? (Which, by the way, happened in Canada just across the border a few years ago. Can't remember the serial killer's name, but he took the bodies of his victims to his pig farm...)

In Clark Fork, ID there was a large population of Chinese railroad workers at the end of the 1800s, pushing the tracks into Montana, and you can still find remnants of their kitchenware along the south bank of the Clark Fork River at the old townsite of Cabinet on the MT border, according to one of our neighbors. There is also an overgrown cemetery which we haven't found yet. The town of Cabinet died in the Big Burn of 1910 and was never rebuilt. The railroad was completed and the timber was gone, so any further reason to rebuild was not really present--but the town is still on the map, interestingly.

In all likelihood there will be remnants/memories of temporary housing for the Chinese railroad workers in Heron, Noxon, Trout Creek and Thompson Falls, too, but I haven't looked into it.

Wow- very interesting. you would think that we would have better Chinese food in kalispell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM

11,861 posts, read 15,517,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just found this article in the Helena IR about the chinese in Helena.

Acording to the article, in 1870, Chinese comprised 20% of the population in Montana

Did not know that
Remembering China Row: Even in death, the Chinese were excluded
We placed flags on veterans graves on Saturday at Forestvale cemetery. There are a lot of Chinese gravestones in spots, and of course the area dedicated to Chinese immigrants. Pretty interesting.

I've been doing this (flag placing) for a long time. Some of the neatest graves were in VA and WV. There are markers from the French and Indian Wars along the old Braddock Road that runs from Winchester VA to the 'wilderness'. My wife and I ran across a lone grave on the far end of Chincoteague Island in VA that belonged to Cpt. Joshua Chandler. He died in 1877. Back then (30 years ago) his grave was all by itself at the end of a crushed shell road, overgrown but surrounded by iron fence. The inscription read-

""Farwell wife and children dear,
I am not dead but sleeping here
As I am someday you will be,
Prepare for death and follow me here."

I've seen some really old military gravestones. Mid 1700's all the way back to late 1600's.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:14 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,310,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406FIRE309 View Post
Wow- very interesting. you would think that we would have better Chinese food in kalispell!
Ha--if you can point to a really good Chinese restaurant anywhere between Spokane and Kalispell, we'll show up!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 AM

4,920 posts, read 5,807,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We placed flags on veterans graves on Saturday at Forestvale cemetery. There are a lot of Chinese gravestones in spots, and of course the area dedicated to Chinese immigrants. Pretty interesting.

I've been doing this (flag placing) for a long time. Some of the neatest graves were in VA and WV. There are markers from the French and Indian Wars along the old Braddock Road that runs from Winchester VA to the 'wilderness'. My wife and I ran across a lone grave on the far end of Chincoteague Island in VA that belonged to Cpt. Joshua Chandler. He died in 1877. Back then (30 years ago) his grave was all by itself at the end of a crushed shell road, overgrown but surrounded by iron fence. The inscription read-

""Farwell wife and children dear,
I am not dead but sleeping here
As I am someday you will be,
Prepare for death and follow me here."

I've seen some really old military gravestones. Mid 1700's all the way back to late 1600's.
About the oldest graves I've seen in Montana will sometimes reference "Veteran of the Mexican war", we're a pretty young state really.

I visited the colonial graveyard in Savannah that dates back to the late 1600's. Sure made us seem to be the new kid on the block!
My ancestors are mostly in a pioneer cemetary south of Livingston. I went down there Saturday with my father to take care of the graves. For Montana, it's pretty old with graves dating back to the 1870's, but still pretty recent by the standards of other places.

I knew there had been a lot of Chinese in Montana that built the railroads and worked the mining camps, just not 20% of the population.
There were even some in the smaller towns like Big Timber.

I was told that the old chinatown in the south end of the gulch, that because the Chinese were not allowed to own gold claims, tunneled down from the floors of their shacks to mine. When they did the "urban renewal" at that end of town and moved heavy equipment in, the ground started to collapse!

They basically had to haul in loads and loads of backfill before they could put up the condo's that are there now.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 PM

839 posts, read 591,994 times
There are significantly more nothern european and german decendants here, than in the south. Here is a sampleing of last names from my son's elementary school.

Bauer
Deas
Kienberger
Ketzenberg
Liedle
Lindgren
Neuhardt
Ottariano
Pysk
Pulcini

In fact, there are only a handfull of children with typical english last names. By the spelling you can clearly see the heavy german influence.

In the south, most last names are english, Thomas, Johnson, Smith, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or