U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM

38 posts, read 139,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all ~

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on working for the Jore Corporation? It's located in Ronan, which I know is in the middle of the Flathead Reservation. My husband is being considered for a job there. It's a good job, comparable to what he's paid here in So. Cal. However, we wouldn't be able to own property anywhere near Jore, as it's reservation land.
From what I can tell, the nearest area that we'd be able to buy a place is at least an hour's drive away from Jore. I'm not sure if it would be worth it, as one of the reasons for leaving OC is to get away from commuting. Does anyone here work for Jore or know anyone who does? Is renting on the reservation a problem for non-tribal members? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,222,017 times
You can buy land on the reservation. Polson is a nice town that is located about ten miles from Jore.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You can buy land on the reservation. Polson is a nice town that is located about ten miles from Jore.
Thanks. The HR lady my husband spoke to last week said we couldn't buy property there.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
She was full of baloney ! I am full blooded white boy and I own property on the Flathead Reservation, and property is much cheaper on the res. I couldn't afford to buy anywhere else in western Montana. There are cute little affordable places in Ronan and St. Ignatius is even cheaper. I think it may still be possible to buy cheaper than renting in those two towns but Polson is a lake-front town and prices are much higher.
As far as Jore goes We know folks that have worked for them and haven't been laid off but they have a reputation for laying off and re-hiring often. I think Jore may be tribally owned but not sure. Another employment opportunity is the Ashley Martin Corp. in Arlee. There is also a sawmill in Pablo I think but I've heard they have tribal hiring preferences.

Last edited by Rickers; 01-21-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM

rickers,

Thank you so much for your reply. This will be a big step for us and there's a lot to consider. Of course he has to get the job first!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Good luck to you and just a note, this reservation is about 75% white and if a business is tribally owned they will always hire a tribal member first for any openings unless they can't find a T.M. who is qualified for the position.
Also look at Semitool in Kalispell, they are always looking for c.n.c. machinists.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:05 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
Default Just one polson listing

The HR lady was incorrect, in fact you might like polson. Here is just one listing, you can see more at nmar.com which is our local MLS.
36315 Song Sparrow Lane
POLSON, MT 59860
ASKING PRICE: $160,000
BEDROOMS
THREE
STYLE
MANUFACTURED
GARAGE
DOUBLE
FINISHED SQ. FEET
1750-2000
WATERFRONT
NONE
TOTAL SQUARE FEET
BATHS
BASEMENT
NO
LOT SIZE
LOT TO .50
COVENANT
C.L.A.
Remarks
Immaculate manufactured home on well landscaped leased lot. 1999 Kit mobile home with extensive decking, hot tub, light and
open floor plan. Access to swimming pool and golf course. Restrictions.
Listing Features
Adjacent Owners
Private
App./Equip. Included
Dishwasher
Disposal
Dryer
Hot Tub
Microwave
Range
Refrigerator
Washer
Construction
Modular
Moved to Site
Exclusions
Exclusions
- Water Softener
Exterior Features
Deck
Fence
Landscaped
Other(2)
- Community Pool
Paved Drive
Fencing
Chain Link
Partial
Foundation
Cement Block
HVAC
Central Air Cond.
Gas Forced Air
Gas Hot Water
Propane
Outbuildings
Storage Shed(s)
Road Frontage
Private
Road Surface
Blacktop/Asphalt
Sign
Sign On Property
Trees
None
Utilities
Cable TV Available
City Water
Community Sewer
Electric
High Speed Internet

Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
I would avoid semitool since they're famous for hiring and laying off like clock work.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Good luck to you and just a note, this reservation is about 75% white and if a business is tribally owned they will always hire a tribal member first for any openings unless they can't find a T.M. who is qualified for the position.
Also look at Semitool in Kalispell, they are always looking for c.n.c. machinists.
Thanks again. Actually, he does purchasing. He's not a machinist, which is too bad as there seem to be a lot of those jobs available.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM

jimj ~

Thank you for the posting. That house looks fantastic! I'll definitely check out the MLS site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or