U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM

11,855 posts, read 15,494,778 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/bu...ship.html?_r=0

Quote:
Silicon Valley gets all the glory, but the real hotbed of American entrepreneurship appears to be a few hundred miles to the northeast: Montana.

The state leads the nation in business creation, according to a new report from the Kauffman Foundation, which produces an annual analysis and ranking of start-up activity in every state. This year, the organization expanded its study to include the 40 largest metro areas. Austin, Tex., took the top spot in that ranking, followed by Miami. San Jose, Calif., a tech industry center, came in third.
Way to go Montana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM

113 posts, read 120,504 times
Thank you- thank you very much

Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM

9,472 posts, read 5,900,496 times
It has to be. It's a place where you gotta make your own job.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,873,797 times
I lived there for a few years. If you don't work for the state, for the school system, or in health care, you BETTER have your own successful business or you will struggle.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 PM

113 posts, read 120,504 times
Pnwmdk and Rogue- you make it sound like a bad thing. What Montana needs are more entrepreneurs, more innovators, and more people willing to be responsible for themselves instead of complaining about lack of jobs or low pay. There is a ton of opportunity here for anyone that has any ambition.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 AM

4,910 posts, read 5,796,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406FIRE309 View Post
Pnwmdk and Rogue- you make it sound like a bad thing. What Montana needs are more entrepreneurs, more innovators, and more people willing to be responsible for themselves instead of complaining about lack of jobs or low pay. There is a ton of opportunity here for anyone that has any ambition.
I agree. I think the lifestyle of having to provide for yourself and take care of issues because there may not be anyone to do it for you also is part of it.

If you can do something well, even if it's kind of offbeat, and you're willing to work hard, you can usually find a market for it. I blacksmith on the side and I've been amazed at how many people that want my knives and axes.
There are also people that want decorative wrought iron ironwork, people that want vintange tools fixed or others that ask me to make tools that aren't currently available, like Froes for instance.
What started as a hobby has morphed into a nice side business. If I wanted to invest the time and money, and advertising, I could probably make a pretty good living doing it.

If you have a dream or talent, this is a good place to try it out. Montana has always been a place to start over or live out your dreams.
Even though the population is small, the vision is as big as the sky above.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM

11,855 posts, read 15,494,778 times
I find it very encouraging that Montanans are entrepreneurial. It's a healthy spirit- build yourself better and try to move up in life. In the wake you hire people and give them an opportunity to live.

Much, much better than the alternative. Look at states like Mississippi or even my last home of WV- a cycle of poverty, dependence. Your best shot at life in WV (in the hills) is at a coal mine. A lot of broken spirits back there.

It's good to see some healthy upward spirit in this state. It's good for everyone. Very rejuvenating.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:31 PM

9,472 posts, read 5,900,496 times
Quote:
What?

What did I say that made it sound "bad"?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, but if you are an entrepreneur, no matter how ambitious, you have to have people, aka customers, making the wages to pay you! I found the wages low and the cost of living (food, housing, having to drive miles and miles to get to work and other places) very high.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
There are also people that want decorative wrought iron ironwork, people that want vintange tools fixed or others that ask me to make tools that aren't currently available, like Froes for instance.
What started as a hobby has morphed into a nice side business. If I wanted to invest the time and money, and advertising, I could probably make a pretty good living doing it.

If you have a dream or talent, this is a good place to try it out. Montana has always been a place to start over or live out your dreams.
Even though the population is small, the vision is as big as the sky above.
I still say you better have a bucket full of money before you move out there to "start over". You have a very admirable skill, but things like wrought ironwork don't sound like "average working Joe" needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or