Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times

Advertisements

Since you're coming from the Atlanta area I'd suggest Missoula as well. You definitely won't feel like you're ever stuck in traffic if you're used to driving in/around Atlanta, in fact you'll probably think you died and went to driving heaven.

With the University there you'll find plenty to do year-round and more people = more chances to meet new friends. Both Kalispell and Missoula can have some long, gray stretches in the winter, but Missoula is actually slightly sunnier than Kalispell Annual Days of Sunshine in Montana - Current Results so that's pretty much a wash. It'll be some extra work but not impossible to find a place that will rent to you with animals. Lots of younger people with dogs in Missoula and they're not all homeowners so landlords that will rent to you certainly exist.

I'd also suggest renting for the first 6 months or so. Since you'll be traveling so much you may find you prefer one of the others or somewhere in between and it's easier to realize that when you're a renter than when you've just purchased a house in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 03:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,774 times
I live south of Missoula 45 miles away. You want to go with Missoula. 1 1/2 hours to Kalli, 2 to Helena, 3 to Greatfalls.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,679 times
The more responses I read the more I am sold that this is a good move for me. I just spent the entire week in Atlanta and honestly the further away I am from that big of a city the better!

A friend of mine suggested trying to find a spot either in the bitterroot valley or flathead valley. I obviously know nothing about either but from looking at my territory map, would the flathead valley be closer in distance to go between Missoula, Great Falls, and Kalispell?

I am trying to arrange a trip to work for a few days with a rep already there to get a glimpse of where, what, and begin networking to find a rental. I have a house to sell, so renting is the only option I have at first. It's harder to rent with dogs anywhere, but I hate the breed restrictions and hopefully German Shepherds aren't on a generalized list. They are in some parts of GA, but since I own it never mattered before.

That is great that there are classes to learn to drive on snow and ice! Of course that is unheard of where I live! Definitely something I will do. I was told I would just get winter tires for the company car and have a separate set for the rest of the year. I don't know anything about chains and all that but I will figure it out.

It's been triple digits with 70% plus humidity here for 2 weeks now so snow and ice sound like Heaven to me right now!

Thank you again for the tips and I can't wait to see how this all plays out!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:36 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Bitterroot does not make logistical sense for your route. You could look around Frenchtown.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Bitterroot does not make logistical sense for your route. You could look around Frenchtown.
Thanks...those things I need to know! 👍🏼
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana