U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,401 times

Advertisements

My wife, daughter and I are possibly looking at relocating from Texas to Montana. We have always wanted to visit there, but now a possible job oppurtunity might be coming up for my wife, I was curious how is the rest of the job market there? Pro's/Con's to living in polson. Should we look at other areas and commute in? Thanks for any help that you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:02 PM

113 posts, read 119,825 times
Welcome! Polson is a beautiful little town. The climate is more moderate in Polson, than in many other parts of Montana which makes it easier to get through the winter months. It's mostly a service industry town due to the tourism. That being said, the economy in Polson has very little going for it in terms of jobs. Housing is cheaper as long as you are not on flathead lake. Like everywhere in Montana, people are friendly. Missoula is only 1.5 hours or so south with kalispell, which is where I live -45 minutes north. It's an outdoorsmans paradise. I would definitely recommend the move from Texas if you could get by financially.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406FIRE309 View Post
Welcome! Polson is a beautiful little town. The climate is more moderate in Polson, than in many other parts of Montana which makes it easier to get through the winter months. It's mostly a service industry town due to the tourism. That being said, the economy in Polson has very little going for it in terms of jobs. Housing is cheaper as long as you are not on flathead lake. Like everywhere in Montana, people are friendly. Missoula is only 1.5 hours or so south with kalispell, which is where I live -45 minutes north. It's an outdoorsmans paradise. I would definitely recommend the move from Texas if you could get by financially.

Thank you for the input, Do feel like a commute from Kalispell to Polson for work is doable in the Winter months? How is the Job/Housing there?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:14 PM

113 posts, read 119,825 times
The commute in the winter is no big deal. 95% of the time the roads are cleared and very drivable. The job market in kalispell is picking up. It really depends on what you want to do. Housing is harder to find in kalispell. Rentals are priced high. Most dont accept dogs. You can still find decent prices if you look hard or if you meet someone that has a rental. It would be adventageous to live and work in Polson if you can, and go to Kalispell when its necessary. Your money will go alot further that way. Polson would be a great place to live if you have a job lined up.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:50 AM

281 posts, read 727,581 times
Polson is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful with the mountains and the lake view, but I will tell you that it's also one of the most economically and socially depressing places I have ever lived. It's on the reservation, so some companies are going to give hiring priority to natives. ie: S&K. The jobs are scarce, so if you're not already of a profession, you're going to be looking at mostly part time work, or Western Bee, Jore, etc. Please check Indeed.com to get an idea of what you're looking at. Most other jobs are government/forestry and they are few and hard to get on with. Winter time jobs are especially scarce, mostly walmart seasonal or gas station. I know that Super 1 hires up for late spring to summer, and in fall scales down and they do not hire much in winter because they town tends to go dead when tourist season is done.

My husband and I lived there for 2 1/2 years and we were very unhappy. He had a difficult time holding on to his job, because the people there before him got seniority over him and the company was facing economic troubles. He also had to take a part time job too. It is expensive to live here and Mission Valley power's rates are high. The rentals in the area are few and far between, and nothing new has been built since the 80's. Most houses in town are older too, and rental houses start at $800 and go up to $1000.00 or more. $800.00 a month is very high if you're not making enough. The wages do not reflect a living wage. We struggled very badly up there with our finances.

I have multiple sclerosis so we though St. Joseph's would be a good hospital to be close to, but they didn't take very good care of me on a few occasions and misdiagnosed me as having diabetes when I actually had vasculitis. Long story but, I have heard good and I have heard bad about St. Joseph's. I know my neighbor lady told me that her father died in the ER because the ER doctor didn't get woke up fast enough and that she was in a lawsuit with them. Then I have heard that they give good care for the elderly, so I really don't know, I can only go based on my experience, and I didn't like the 3 doctors I saw there.

There is also a heavy police presence in the area, because there is a huge drug problem and a lot of domestic abuse. One of our neighbors was a police officer and he filled us in on some of the goings on in the area. The drugs is REAL bad. That's all I can do is just put it straight. My husband witnessed a woman at the gas station lay a needle down and crawl on the ground in front of him... I walked into the movie theater bathroom in town and found a needle laying on the toilet paper box. We have seen various needles laying downtown and in the parking lot at Walmart. A neighbor down the street was arrested for meth and breaking into her own family's jewelry store. It's truly a big big problem here, more than anyone wants to talk about or believe. I think anyone wanting to move to this area deserves to know this, especially if you are coming with children. We also witnessed some domestic abuse in public, one time a young man knocked his girlfriend out at the gas station, left her on the ground and took off. I have never lived anywhere, where I saw so much evidence of drug use and domestic abuse problems, and I have lived in many states and cities/towns. Drunkeness is also a big problem as is DUI. Many people drive intoxicated up here. We would NOT go out at night beyond 11pm because we would encounter drunks on the road, drunks at the gas station... I would also never travel between here to Pablo, Ronan or the other way to Kalispell at night... mainly because of the drunks. Sunday was not bad, and mostly okay.

I'm sorry that I have a negative story to tell, but I believe in being honest.... because I would want someone to be honest with me. We did not have good experiences at all... and that's not saying it wouldn't be fine for you.. but I think it's important to know what kind of a place you are going to. It's breathtaking and it's beyond beautiful to look at... but the people in the town and the town itself told a different story to us. I also have another thread, discussing how my windows on my truck were vandalized and shot out, and our living room window too, the first week we moved here because there was a big vandalism spree going on. We have also had two bikes stolen... even chained up, they cut it and stole it.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:55 AM

281 posts, read 727,581 times
I should mention that if I were coming to this area and wanted to be on the lake, I would look into Big Fork, Lakeside, etc. It's expensive there.. but I am told these are pretty good areas. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana