Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 8,683 times

Advertisements

I am being considered for a job at the Hungry Horse dam and from what I have seen online I am kind of apprehensive about taking it because of the housing situation. From what I have seen, houses that are for sale in the area in our price range look pretty run down. The rental situation doesn't appear to be much better.
I have also looked around Kalispell and things do not look much better down there. We currently raise ducks and chickens. If need be we could sell the birds before the move, but they are more like pets than livestock. I know that Kalispell has a no rooster law, but I saw nothing about ducks....anyone have any knowledge of this? A more rural setting would be ideal, but having never been there I am not sure that this is feasible.
I realize that ideally we should make a trip out there to check it out for ourselves, but until I am actually offered the job I can't see making the trip. So essentially I am looking for someone that has been there or currently lives there to give me an idea of what we could be looking at. I am assuming that once the job is offered I will not have long to decide.
Anyone have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,903,764 times
You have several choices as to where to live. There are some good properties in Hungry Horse, and some junk. Same goes for Martin City and Coram.
Columbia Heights/Monte Vista (if they still call it that) may have some good properties.
Columbia Falls has good schools and some very nice properties, but keeping your birds in town could be a problem.
There are some good places along the North Fork Road near Columbia Falls.
Your best bet is to get in touch with a realtor who has access to the MLS in the area, and see what properties are currently available. That realtor may be able to help in finding a rental, as well.
Personally, I would not live in Kalispell or Whitefish. Hungry Horse has changed so much over the years that I'm not sure I would be willing to go back there. Perhaps that is why I sold my four lots long ago!
Columbia Falls, maybe. It has been a long time since I lived there. The bad memories should be very blunted by now.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM

Thank you for your response Redraven. The more I look into it the more I think that this might not be a good move for the family. If I got the job I would be making good money, but everything I read leads me to believe that even with my income it might be hard to make it in the area. It really is a shame.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 12,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispbrown27 View Post
I am being considered for a job at the Hungry Horse dam and from what I have seen online I am kind of apprehensive about taking it because of the housing situation. From what I have seen, houses that are for sale in the area in our price range look pretty run down. The rental situation doesn't appear to be much better.
I have also looked around Kalispell and things do not look much better down there. We currently raise ducks and chickens. If need be we could sell the birds before the move, but they are more like pets than livestock. I know that Kalispell has a no rooster law, but I saw nothing about ducks....anyone have any knowledge of this? A more rural setting would be ideal, but having never been there I am not sure that this is feasible.
I realize that ideally we should make a trip out there to check it out for ourselves, but until I am actually offered the job I can't see making the trip. So essentially I am looking for someone that has been there or currently lives there to give me an idea of what we could be looking at. I am assuming that once the job is offered I will not have long to decide.
Anyone have any tips?
I live on the other side of Columbia Mountain from Hungry Horse...

Yes.. reasonably priced housing can be a bit run down here. Generally though you can have almost anything on your property. My landlady said I can have horses, goats, llamas, alpacas, yaks, zebras, emus, chickens, ducks, geese.... whatever.. as long as a shelter is built for them... (it gets windy).

My suggestion is to look for places along 206... in Bad Rock/Columbia Heights. That would give you and easy shot to work.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the tips Blood and Honey. I must say I am a little apprehensive of looking at an area with the word "heights" in its name.....in this area these are generally the areas you DO NOT want to live in! ha ha
I will keep this in mind. Hopefully this coming week I will hear something about the job....fingers crossed.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 12,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispbrown27 View Post
Thanks for the tips Blood and Honey. I must say I am a little apprehensive of looking at an area with the word "heights" in its name.....in this area these are generally the areas you DO NOT want to live in! ha ha
I will keep this in mind. Hopefully this coming week I will hear something about the job....fingers crossed.
When it comes to community names, heights doesn't mean what you imagine it does. Columbia Heights is just the area outside of Badrock Canyon heading south along 206. There are some really, really, really low and flat foothills... but nothing spectacular... nothing more than the rest of the valley. The foothill I live on is actually prone to flooding... and I happen to live right at the base of Columbia Mountain just outside the canyon. And in the part towards the river is some of the flattest farmland around... especially as you go south.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bad-Ro...s-Montana.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana