U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,067,245 times

Advertisements

I mentioned the generator because, even for 12 volt TV, you need to charge a battery. Photovoltaic is problematic in Montana, because there's little sunlight in winter (it is further north than most of Maine, our winters are more overcast than yours, and snow is a problem). Even in summer, PV won't produce enough power to pump water for a garden.

It is tough to have much solar power in Western MT as it is true that in the winter there isn't much sun. However, in the central and eastern part of the state it works great - many, many more days of sun. Of course if you're up on the high-line it may be -40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 PM

276 posts, read 755,046 times
If you can see my vision please tell me. In the woods, very perceptive, lol. I don't think I'd fair to well hauling water all day.

Glad to hear rainfall is more seasonal. Seems like it rains constanlty here the last few years, I am thinking of opening a public pool in my basement. And no rainfall, no grass. I hate grass, at least the kind I have to mow. NO not that kind either, tall prarie grass with wildflowers.

My "visions" are from pics i've seen in magazines, that is why all the ideas and questions, I know normal people don't live in the same world that the magazines portray. MT mag doesn't tell you you need a 400 ft well to live there or that most people live in humble house not the 5 bed 5 bath 5 car with indoor horse arena, servants quarters and multiple guest house on the best white water rafting river in MT.

I actually went online and looked at solar power for Maine and it's not that great for here either. And it's not that I am opposed to elec. I am just more productive with out it.

I really just want a friendly community where people care for their town and each other (another vision I'm sure) but like I've said before, I'd be happy in a travel trailer as long as I am there. My cabin in the woods might be a mobile home on 1/2 acre.

Sorry if this rambles, just throwing my ideas out there, thanks for being honest. I don't live there so I have nothing to base things on.

Thank you all for letting me know more about the area, because even when I do come out, I wouldn't know about these things.

Maybe I need to ask for a plane ticket for Christmas, what better time to get to know the area than winter. I don't think the Butte background on my computer is enough.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,521,276 times
Well I think ya should check out Aspen Hills or Clear creek area. If ya don't get to high on the mountain you should be able to get out during the winter.
These 2 areas use wind and solar polar for power needs.
get off I 90 head towards towards Oppurtunity/Anaconda cross the tracks head south on the road to Wisdom. plenty of places to put in your small line shack.
Wells don't normally run deep septics are usually no problem.
So hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,432 times
Oh... a nice cabin in the woods, where you don't have to look at your neighbors??...

Well, you should look into Lincoln Montana, or the upper Blackfoot River drainage area........

Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,735 times
Smile Live in Miles City

I live in Miles City and can tell you that I love it here, but if you are looking for hills and trees, you will have a hard time finding it here. The Miles City Star which is our newpaper is found online but I don't know if the classified ads are on there. We have several good realtors here that can be found online, Hardesty's and Mullins are 2 of them. We have purchased land here a few times but have found that there are convenants. We don't want a huge house or anything fancy and expensive either but in some areas there are those covenants. There is one area called Sundial that offers acreage and no real limitations. Between Miles City and Forsyth, there is a beautiful area called Moon Creek that is 12 miles plus. The Amish live in that direction and it has lots of trees, dirt roads and is just gorgeous. We don't have much in the way of shopping, but I personally don't need much. I do fine with Wal Mart and the grocery stores available. We have a wonderful downtown that is reminiscent of the past where you can still actually shop on Main Street! It does get cold here and hot in the summer, but the friendly people and slower pace make it all worthwhile.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM

I do want trees but it's not a priority. When I went to SD in like 1991 I loved it and that is plains for sure. I too only shop at Walmart (mostly cause it's all I can afford). I live in a small town now that has walmart and a grocery store, if I didn't have to leave town to work I wouldn't. I can't stand the sound of 4 wheelers and snomobiles buzzing about year round, If you use them to live fine but I don't want the people who play with them zooming around all day. , sort of like I don't bother you and I don't want you to bother me

I don't want to have to work in Billings or the overpriced Bozeman areas. I want alot but so little.

What is the job situation in the miles city area?

Old 04-09-2007, 02:25 PM

495 posts, read 364,967 times
mainr wrote:
Quote:
I has been my dream to move to a secluded spot in the Montana woods for over 10 years. I know you have your share of out of staters moving in and raising the costs of everything and leaving nothing but I do not want to be one of them.
Yea....but you will be....... you think Maine wages are bad wait until you see Montana's.
Considering the state of Montana these days......I"m sure with all things considered Maine is probably a better place to live.
Let me ask you this..............if Montana didn't have mountains, would you be moving here ?............I serious doubt it.
Not just to you mainr, but to others also, and not to be mean spirited, but don't you think there are much more important things in life to be considered when making such life decisions, than "the place has mountains"....seriously, that is 99 percent of the reason why people move here, most little if any concern as to what or how they will make a living, and take this big leap of faith to move here.
I'm not getting it....

Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM

Lets see, UM No. Why because the pot I have to p*** in now is rusty and the window to throw it out is broke. I've worked my share of crappy jobs to barely scrape by , I don't leech off the welfare system. What is more important than being happy. If living in Maine made me happy I'd stay here. I don't have a degree of any sort, I can't afford an expensive house or expensive cars and to tell you the truth, I don't like people who have them.( My truck cost $10k and house $75, so I'm not rich). I am used to making no money . If MT didn't have mountains I'd still move there. I've also been considering SD, hum, no mts there. And yeah I know that the jobs and pay suck, ME mininimum wage is higher. The only thing that makes me NOT want to move there are the people they are just not friendly. So my thought is, would you rather have a hard working person who doesn't want to destroy the area or that rich money hungry mongrel infesting and destroying your state with their overpriced ugly homes and obnoxious "toys", only to visit once in a while.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:38 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
You might look around Lincoln, Boulder, Wolf Creek, or Cascade; that'd be a bit more like Maine and more the vision you probably have in mind. In those areas there are often cabins available, with some acreage, that look livable if not pretty, and are priced a bit more reasonably than other areas. Some have electric, some don't. Most can't get phone or cell service. Main problem beyond that would be whether it had a year-round road or not -- some are only seasonally accessable, not so much for snow as for deep spring mud that not even the best 4WD can get past. If a mountain road shows ruts, it DOES go to mud in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or