U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM
 
Location: East Helena, MT
824 posts, read 578,160 times
Reputation: 2253

Advertisements

Anyone who attempts to "shove" their agenda down anyone's throat's should just stay where they are. To start off a relationship with a check list is a poor way to do business. If the OP is concerned about their views in a different area, then that should be the first evidence that you shouldn't move there. I am sick of people thinking it is their mission in life to try to force other people to live the way they live. If you don't like hunting, don't hunt. If you don't like meat, don't eat it. If you don't agree with LGBT, don't marry one. But please respect other people's right to make up their own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,277 posts, read 4,013,359 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Anyone who attempts to "shove" their agenda down anyone's throat's should just stay where they are. To start off a relationship with a check list is a poor way to do business. If the OP is concerned about their views in a different area, then that should be the first evidence that you shouldn't move there. I am sick of people thinking it is their mission in life to try to force other people to live the way they live. If you don't like hunting, don't hunt. If you don't like meat, don't eat it. If you don't agree with LGBT, don't marry one. But please respect other people's right to make up their own mind.
I can respect this post! And, I agree very much. This is why I hate living in Seattle, everyone is forcing their beliefs on you for fear of be castigated. If you don't agree with them or think according to what they do, you are considered an outcast and are worse than a Nazi! This constant thought and mind control of people here makes me sick and I am tired of having to agree to be considered a human being or being tossed out like garbage because I don't wear the right type of clothing, vote the right way or agree with this or that view. I have noticed those who need to shove their views down people's throats tend to be the most close-minded and polarizing, yet always promote themselves as progresive, open-minded and "liberal" individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,148 posts, read 4,706,974 times
Reputation: 4817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
If you're a liberal why are you moving to a red state ? If you are pro gay marriage, pro big gov't, pro high taxes, etc, then why are you moving to an area that doesn't represent what you believe in?

All you liberals are just a virus, just keep spreading to conservative areas. You destroyed beautiful places like California & Vermont, and eventually you'll get to Texas & Florida...hypocrites
As a transplanted New Englander living in Texas, this post made me laugh out loud. Vermont? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
11,834 posts, read 15,443,002 times
Reputation: 12089
Ha-ha.. Go away for 4 days on business and I see 6 pages on this baited thread..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Montana
387 posts, read 357,947 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyonda View Post
I currently live in New York City and I want to move somewhere more peaceful and quiet. I love the scenery in Montana and the fairly small population, but I'm not sure if the politics there are too conservative for me. I heard Montana is pro-choice when I comes to abortion, but I think they mostly have a right wing view. Still debating on whether or not I should move here. I like the idea of no sales tax. What is the best town in Montana for a liberal to live in?
It is liberal in Kalispell, Missoula, and Bozeman, middling in the other 'big' cities, and more conservative in the rural areas. Generally a libertarian state (meaning, stay out of my business, I'll stay our of yours). Family of ours here say "I'm democrat here but I'd be republican anywhere else" when describing how they see the politics of Montana. We're plain Libertarian like many others. We have planned parenthood but if you are under 16 you have to inform your parents if you are getting an abortion, which is a stipulation which was put on the process after a vote 2 years ago.

I wouldn't move here unless you spend time here. Rent a place for a week or a month and see if you like it. Make sure you like winter activities and can stay out of people's business. It is truly a live and let live state, for now. In rural places there will be guns in people's trucks and possibly a deer in the back of someone's pick up when they collect their daughter from school in November. But there are now Starbuck's and pilates studios as well. It's really about what you want.

On the other hand, bears in Montana really like to eat people from the coasts, especially nosy people with children and dogs who hate the 2nd amendment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,277 posts, read 4,013,359 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
On the other hand, bears in Montana really like to eat people from the coasts, especially nosy people with children and dogs who hate the 2nd amendment...
This is true.. In Montana, unlike the other states, we have the right to keep and arm bears..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 5,886,053 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Thanks, perfect example of why Conservatives can't mind their own business. Right away you assume because somebody is a Liberal they want to come in and change your way of life.

Did you ever just consider to MYOB?
Oh, get unrighteous.

The very definition of a modern day liberal is someone who wants everything controlled by government and forcing everyone to do as they want. The very last thing any liberal wants is to let others do as they please, and their politics is all about centralized controls.

Either you're shining someone on, or you're trolling here. Whether you're Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or any other popularly red state, people tolerate others, and generally don't resort to trying to get vast numbers of new laws passed to make everyone different. Your question presumes that intolerance is a hallmark of "conservative" people, and the reverse is very much true. But don't mistake "tolerance" for "approval". People can and do disapprove of much, without it being "intolerance", which can be defined as "forcing conformity".

I don't care why you'd want to move to MT (or any other "red" state), perhaps you could look past who you vote for and party and start thinking about why some people seem compelled to centralize authority and decisions and why it isn't attractive to those who earn their living by making their own work and decisions and find their self worth by doing their own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2015, 07:49 AM
 
1,925 posts, read 1,545,423 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
If you're a liberal why are you moving to a red state ? If you are pro gay marriage, pro big gov't, pro high taxes, etc, then why are you moving to an area that doesn't represent what you believe in?

All you liberals are just a virus, just keep spreading to conservative areas. You destroyed beautiful places like California & Vermont, and eventually you'll get to Texas & Florida...hypocrites
Ask people if they think California and Vermont are nice scenery. The scenic parts of Cali. And all of VT.

In fact, thanks to liberals, Vermont has no billboards. If you have never been you don't know how nice that is to see. And businesses still do just fine. The south is clogged with billboards. Now video ones. Talk about a virus. Then there's pimples like Dollar General, Walmart, that finally made it to New England. I'm not being political just strictly talking scenery value. Well, and local business diversity and town character.

Now, generalizing "all people" of any particular community is rather close-minded, wouldn't you say? And in fact, if you get to be the judge of other peoples' character, making you Big Brother, isn't that the ultimate 'liberal' or whatever? You, sithlord72, on City-Data, get to decide whose politics are a virus and whose are not, and who gets to live where. Personally I wouldn't want to live in a state where everyone was the same, whether it was liberal, conservative, or anything else. Sounds... Communist? Am I correct in understanding your post?

I haven't been to MT but it's on my bucket list. In fact, it's on my list of places I haven't been but wouldn't be surprised if I end up living there for a while. I like to live in small cities with low amount of sprawl or prospect for it in the future. Coastal Ga may have large prospects for sprawl in the future although for now it's a lovely place, rural coast with a small somewhat liberal city in a conservative state, making for a nice blend of people and things to do. I have been reading about Missoula .. seems like a nice little place..

Last edited by SavannahLife; 08-11-2015 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 AM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,956 posts, read 2,110,647 times
Reputation: 5028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyonda View Post
I currently live in New York City and I want to move somewhere more peaceful and quiet. I love the scenery in Montana and the fairly small population, but I'm not sure if the politics there are too conservative for me. I heard Montana is pro-choice when I comes to abortion, but I think they mostly have a right wing view. Still debating on whether or not I should move here. I like the idea of no sales tax. What is the best town in Montana for a liberal to live in?
If you are not a political type person, I doubt you would have any problems at all living in Montana amongst conservatives.

I wonder how liberal or political you really are because you like it that Montana has no sales tax and no sales tax is a conservative thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2015, 09:32 PM
 
4,646 posts, read 3,970,911 times
Reputation: 9721
Actually the liberal wing of the state Dems has kept sales tax from being enacted. They cite its regressive nature because a higher percentage of a low income person's income is used for consumables .

The conservative Dems want a sales tax to fund education.

Republicans want to replace most property taxes with a sales tax but don't want additional spending. Small business and Ag operations could reduce their tax liability in poor income years by not purchasing.

The conservative Repubs are anti tax increases.

Most people in Montana would favor a sales tax IF it would reduce & then freeze property taxes. Without the caveat of freezing prop taxes at a lower level it won't fly. Montanans do not trust future legislatures to not raise taxes & fear sales tax would just become an additional tax. The Democrats that would agree to a sales tax, will not agree to a moratorium on future prop tax increases because they don't wish become ham stringed later.

Both parties favor taxing tourists. Hence the bed tax & resort area sales tax option & the high state fuel tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top