U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:24 PM

11,841 posts, read 15,456,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Any conflict we have ever had with hunter trespass or dangerous shooting behavior requiring law enforcement has had to do with elk hunters. For whatever reason, some hunters of elk become irrational once they spot an elk. As contrast, the most polite hunters each year are always the archery hunters.
Interesting. What about bird hunters? Where we hunt in Westby most of the landowners are very welcoming..

One thing our group ALWAYS does is pick up our spent casings, even if we have to crawl to find them. Always, always, always practice leave no trace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,330,506 times
........I fenced my wooded property before I built my home which has over 500 feet of creek frontage, is at the end of a lane and during certain months of the year looks like it would be ideal land for ticks, since I have not cleared out any of the brush, weeds or native grasses. Not only do I post it, but I also have very official looking signs that read:......CAUTION....TICK INFESTED AREA....., also, OWNER TRAPS COYOTES ON THIS PRIVATE PROPERTY AND UTILIZES A RIFLE RANGE ON OCCASION.

Trespassing has not been a problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:09 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,980,449 times
Sorry, I forgot bird hunters--very polite also.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 PM

11,841 posts, read 15,456,008 times
That's good to hear. Where do you live?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
When I was a teenager back in the 40s, I was raised on a ranch with a huge amount of land leased to us adjoining our own ranch. We had people come out and actually burst through our gates destroying them, to get onto the property to hunt. We got tired of that, and fastened a heavy cable around trees on each side, and behind a 3' high cross member, then when the two ends met at the gate post, we used a heavy bolt and big heavy washers through spliced loops. That bolt was tightened real hard so took a couple of big wrenches to remove it. A chain with a padlock, was then used to secure the gate.

We had three different hunting groups try to bust our gate with their big pickup bumpers. When that cable tore up their front ends, destroyed their radiators, etc., they were real angry. We would call the sheriff, who would send out a deputy and charge them with illegal breaking and entering and attempted trespass, and they would have to pay for the new gate that had to be put up to replace the one they damaged. After the third one the word got around, and they stopped busting our gate. Then they parked on our property about 1/4 of a mile inside the ranch entrance. We then would call the tow company to haul their vehicles away. When they went to pick up their vehicle, they would be given a ticket for trespassing and had to pay not only for a tow, vehicle storage, and a good sized fine. This kind of stopped our trespass problems, after the word got around.

Ranchers, hate trespassers, and the problems they cause. We have had them kill cattle thinking they were deer or had given up on deer and wanted to take some meat home. We even had someone kill a horse. Ranchers, etc., get to where they won't let anyone hunt on their property, due to some real bad actors.

Out in the mountains of California, there was a real problem with city boys that moved to the area and wanted to be big hunters. They put a game stop on the one access highway into that area. There was always a local rancher there to identify who's animal the city slicker was carrying out tied over the fender, etc. The hunter was so dumb, they thought they were deer. Big fines, and paid for the animal. With the brands, the rancher knew whose animals they were. During hunting season, they would catch 2 to 3 cow killers every single day.

True Story. One day the rancher saw someone pulling in, and told the state police and game warden to let him handle it. The hunter had a big mule tied on his fender. The rancher told him that was a beautiful mule tale deer, and the hunter was so proud. The hunter said how did that deer get horse shoes on it's feet. The rancher told him they rounded up the baby deer ever year and put shoes on them to protect their feet. He asked which locker plant he was going to use and when told he let him pass on.

The mule was his mule, one of only two that had been in the whole county. He and his friend had gone to Missouri years before and brought back 2 pack mules. He told the officers, the mule was the only one still alive, and he knew he would not live through the winter. He borrowed a phone from a neighbor and called the meat lockers and told them to tell the hunter how nice a mule tail deer he had shot. and to process it. The locker did.

That old rancher used to go down to a restaurant every morning for coffee even if was a 10 mile drive. His wife had died and he had no one around home to visit with so this was his social life. That hunter had gone to work in the woods there, and would meet others there to go to work with leaving his car in the parking lot. He kept bragging about his great mule tail deer and how good he tasted but a little tough. The day he said they had finished eating their deer, the old rancher walked up and told him that he had shot a real mule that was about ready to die from old age, and he was the owner, and hoped he liked his mule meals.

From that time on that hunter was known as Muley, the only man in the country that fed a mule to his family. I went to high school with the ranchers grand daughter, and she had fun teasing the hunters boys about eating a mule.

When anyone would ask the hunter if he hated being called Muley. His reply always was. I am proud of my name, and I earned it one bite at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana