U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto67 View Post
I am looking to relocate my family to a smaller town in Montana. I have been getting pulled to Kalispell but I have heard a few bad things about the economy and being able to get a job. I am a pretty well rounded mechanic that has worked on a wide variety of automobiles and machines. I just want to know if a guy like me would really have that big of a problem finding a job. I have another question about the locals. Is it a serious issue of them not liking people from out of state, my opinion I think its kind of childish. It takes a lot of courage and balls to pack a family up and move to a place were they know no one to better there lives. But of course Im not in there shoes to see that side of it. Any input would be very helpful. Thank you
Here is a good article that has some basic employment data Salary cap: Southwest Montana ahead of most of state in average wages | Business | bozemandailychronicle.com

Although the article highlights Bozeman, there are accompanying tables that detail avg wage by employment sector for the state relative to the U.S. avg wage.

As others have stated- Montana lags behind the U.S. average in wages.

I can't speak for Kalispell personally, but it is widely touted on this board to be one of the least 'welcoming' areas of Montana. Honestly I don't know- I've not really witnessed it. I'm relatively new to Montana (Moved her from West Virginia 5 years ago) and I've not witnessed any outright hostility, but I live in Helena. I travel throughout the state for work and I have made quite a number of friends, several of whom I hunt with. I've just never felt anything 'negative'. Some people are curious to know what WV is like or they ask me if I'm married to my sister, but nothing negative.

But then again- I don't like to hang out with a*sholes anyway..

From a common sense standpoint I would recommend that you do not move first and seek employment later (unless you have a pretty deep warchest of $$). That's often a recipe for disaster and can start you off on a stressful foot. I do know at least two people that had moved here but took lower paying jobs to be here, and they packed up and left for WA or CA because they just couldn't make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:20 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Here is a good article that has some basic employment data Salary cap: Southwest Montana ahead of most of state in average wages | Business | bozemandailychronicle.com

Although the article highlights Bozeman, there are accompanying tables that detail avg wage by employment sector for the state relative to the U.S. avg wage.

As others have stated- Montana lags behind the U.S. average in wages.

I can't speak for Kalispell personally, but it is widely touted on this board to be one of the least 'welcoming' areas of Montana. Honestly I don't know- I've not really witnessed it. I'm relatively new to Montana (Moved her from West Virginia 5 years ago) and I've not witnessed any outright hostility, but I live in Helena. I travel throughout the state for work and I have made quite a number of friends, several of whom I hunt with. I've just never felt anything 'negative'. Some people are curious to know what WV is like or they ask me if I'm married to my sister, but nothing negative.

But then again- I don't like to hang out with a*sholes anyway..

From a common sense standpoint I would recommend that you do not move first and seek employment later (unless you have a pretty deep warchest of $$). That's often a recipe for disaster and can start you off on a stressful foot. I do know at least two people that had moved here but took lower paying jobs to be here, and they packed up and left for WA or CA because they just couldn't make ends meet.
I see lots of references to hunting in the Montana threads and noticed yours.

So I wanted to get your take, if you'd care to share, on how big a factor hunting is for breaking into social circles. In other words, do you think you still would have made quite a number of friends if you didn't hunt?

I've lived in many areas throughout the country, but always near large metro areas - never a place like Montana. I'm wondering, as a non-hunter, if there would be a culture shock in moving there that I've never experienced before and should consider.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 PM

113 posts, read 119,717 times
You don't hunt? what do you do for food? yeah, it may be a bit of a shock depending on how far away from missoula you live.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
Oh baloney.

Lots of long time been here for several generations Montana families do not eat wild meat & do not hunt.

We eat beef, lamb, & pork and occasional seafood.

I annually make a big pot of chili from a package of deer steaks a hunter pal supplies & a pan of brookies for morning breakfast on the annual horsepack trip. That's it for wild meat consumption at our house.

I know very few ranchers who will eat wild meat or care to hunt anything but coyotes/other predators & of course regularly shoot gophers or prairie dogs.

Now having a house full of guns & regularly shooting them is the norm.
So if seeing guns bothers you, you won't like Montana.
I am speaking of responsible gun ownership--not the idiots who shoot anything that moves or ruin signs. Those are not the norm.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:43 PM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

So I wanted to get your take, if you'd care to share, on how big a factor hunting is for breaking into social circles. In other words, do you think you still would have made quite a number of friends if you didn't hunt?

I've lived in many areas throughout the country, but always near large metro areas - never a place like Montana. I'm wondering, as a non-hunter, if there would be a culture shock in moving there that I've never experienced before and should consider.
Honestly I couldn't tell you. I don't know otherwise. I think it would be okay, as there a lot of people that don't hunt. (In fact there are a lot of people that want to limit hunting access, as I just found out yesterday on a trip ).

I think we just gravitate towards each other. Some of the people I hunt with are also business associates/connections so there is that common bond as well. However I know a lot of people that hunt that really don't want to hunt with anyone else or just their friends- so there's that as well.

Tough to say. I'd say it's no big deal. Hunting is a way of life 'hobby', so I'm sure if you have a hobby or interest, you'll naturally end up gravitating towards those persons.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,763,319 times
Hunting of some kind is pretty endemic across most of the state. You don't have to hunt to fit in, but be aware that you will see lot's of people with guns and in camo for a good portion of the year as well as animals in the backs of trucks or on vehicle roofs.

Fishing is another sport you will see all the time and hear people talk about, it's part of living here.
There are trappers too, but they aren't as social.

If you don't hunt or fish, it's no big deal as long as you don't make long winded speaches about the evils of harvesting your own meat.

Montana is an outdoor state, so mountain biking, skiing, camping, canoeing, kiyaking, boating, off roading and ATVs all have big followings here.

Lots of hikers and campers too.

It doesn't matter if you participate or not, but you will probably be asked to join in for a trip or whatever, but nothing says you have to accept unless you want to.

I don't think it would make it harder to fit in as depending where you are, there are gearheads and symphonies, playgroups doing productions, all kinds of things you can join in on and find people that have the same likes as you do.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:59 AM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Hunting is popular in Montana, however, from what I've seen, it is a bit of a generational thing. For example, I know a lot of outdoor enthusiasts in their 20s and 30s from around the state who don't hunt. If you're not into any outdoor activities at all (in which case Montana would SUCK to live in), then you might have trouble making friends, but you could possibly still make friends without hunting.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
mlb

3,145 posts, read 2,829,527 times
Just an observation from a visitor to Northern Montana.

We drove to Kalispell from Salt Lake via Butte and Missoula. Stayed in Butte (430 miles from SLC) and drove around Missoula.... no significant impressions because we literally drove through.

However, we were impressed with Kalispell. Why? It's NOT Aspenized nor gentrified....as our Park City has become over the years. Yeah - traffic is a pain - and the idiot transportation engineer that thinks it's a great idea to run the main highway access (93) through town allowing heavy truck activity - no wonder your county house needs foundation reinforcements...

But the people were wonderful. We found an excellent daycare for our puppy - as dogs are not allowed in Glacier NP. And food - Bullmans Pizza, Sweet Peaks & the bakery across the street whose name I forget - was wonderful.

You have a great thing going Kalispell - we will be back to visit - no, not to live.... we're headed back to rural California for retirement. We appreciated all your kind hospitality.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:56 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

We drove to Kalispell from Salt Lake via Butte and Missoula. Stayed in Butte (430 miles from SLC) and drove around Missoula.... no significant impressions because we literally drove through.

However, we were impressed with Kalispell. Why? It's NOT Aspenized nor gentrified....as our Park City has become over the years. Yeah - traffic is a pain - and the idiot transportation engineer that thinks it's a great idea to run the main highway access (93) through town allowing heavy truck activity - no wonder your county house needs foundation reinforcements...

But the people were wonderful. We found an excellent daycare for our puppy - as dogs are not allowed in Glacier NP. And food - Bullmans Pizza, Sweet Peaks & the bakery across the street whose name I forget - was wonderful.

You have a great thing going Kalispell - we will be back to visit - no, not to live.... we're headed back to rural California for retirement. We appreciated all your kind hospitality.
Thank you for your post. You remind me of the stark difference in the people once you put a safe distance between yourself and the Bay Area. It is always so refreshing and it's been too long for me.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:08 PM

113 posts, read 119,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

You're welcome- come again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana