Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 PM

9 posts, read 23,152 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to temporarily relocate to Montana for 2 years, and after this time I will go back to my "old life".

The company I work for will be providing housing in Montana and I will be keeping my current home during this time to come back to after the assignment and when I need to come back for meetings or family visits during this time.

The question I have been trying to find the answer to is...

Would I be required to license my vehicles in Montana and get a Montana DL, or do I keep my current plates and DL? I have been searching but I can't find in this situation if legally I need to become a "Montana Resident" or am I just "working in a different state" during this time.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, as my "Google skills" are apparently lacking with trying to figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Montana requires license plates be purchased in the county in which you reside or work in. My understanding is that two years is not considered temporary residency. Call the county treasurer office in county you plan to reside in and ask.

Driver's licensing might have more leniency v temporary/permanent resident especially, if not commercial. I do know MT requires drivers notifiy of a change in physical address.

Note that many people are anxious to be considered MT residents as soon as possible to qualify for in state resident hunting licensing.

This is link to MT dept motor vehicles offices
Montana DMV Locations, MT DMV Hours, Phone Numbers, & MVD Appointments | DMV.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana