Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,386 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. Peace and Greetings. I am a black/African American woman who really wants to move to Montana. I have been researching and researching. I really just want a place where I can take root and me and family can live in peace looking at the beautiful mountain views.

For the most part the post all say I need to be looking at Missoula, Billings, or Bozeman. I want a nice place that me and my family can move there, be accepted, a build a life. I know from what I am reading there is not a lot of African American really anywhere in Montana. So I am asking. Where can me and my family move to ( which cities) that we can become part of the community and take root in our community.

I want a place for me and my kids where we can feel like we belong, can become part of the community, can grow and become established. Life is hard enough I don't want to go somewhere where we are not accepted or looked at or judged because our heritage. Can anyone help me find me and my kids forever home.

By the way I want a place where by a year I can buy some beautiful land with mountains views and build our home. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely
Just looking for Peace and Happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
A few questions for you:

1) Why do you want to move to Montana?
2) What's your budget?
3) How much land are you looking for and how big a house do you need/want?
4) Do you need to find work in Montana or are you telecommuting/retired? If you need to find a job, what do you do for a living?
5) Have you ever actually visited Montana?
6) Are you prepared to live someplace that has at least 5-6 months of winter, 2-3 months of summer, and 3-4 months of fall/spring that will often seem more like winter than fall/spring?

Montana is a pretty live and let live state and is accepting of newcomers as long as the newcomers accept how life works in Montana, expect and accept that life will be different when compared to where they came from and make an effort to fit into the community.

Last edited by patches403; 10-08-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 PM

347 posts, read 521,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
A few questions for you:

2) What's your budget?
4) Do you need to find work in Montana or are you telecommuting/retired? If you need to find a job, what do you do for a living?
6) Are you prepared to live someplace that has at least 5-6 months of winter, 2-3 months of summer, and 3-4 months of fall/spring that will often seem more like winter than fall/spring?

Montana is a pretty live and let live state and is accepting of newcomers as long as the newcomers accept how life works in Montana, expect and accept that life will be different when compared to where they came from and make an effort to fit into the community.

What I have bolded is the key statement, in my opinion. No matter what your race or ethnicity is, as long as you make a decent effort to assimilate, you should be fine. Here in Montana it becomes problematic when people from more diverse, multicultural areas openly frown on the Montana way of life and outlook. For example, if you're not into guns and hunting, fine, but openly frowning on this kind of activity is a good way to get shunned. Also, constantly reminding white people here of their "white privilege" won't win you any friends either. Now, before I'm condemned as some intolerant redneck, well, yes, I'm a white man and I absolutely refuse to hate myself for it, which I know is contrary to the desires of our cultural marxist elite! That being said, I love Latino culture and speak Spanish (still working on my comprehension, so I still have a way to go). Sometimes, I wish there were more people to practice my Spanish with here, but it's not something I whine to others about and I certainly don't condemn the state of Montana or my fellow Montanans for not having a large bilingual population! If having a large bilingual population was that important to me, I would have stayed in the large, urban area in which I used to live.

To sum it up, if you're going to move here, prepare to assimilate. If having a large, multicultural population where assimilation is discouraged and where the message of "celebrate diversity" is promoted, Montana definitely is NOT the place for you.

p.s. Yes, we are a largely white state, but we do have a significant Native American population.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,565 times
Bozeman would be a good choice for you. Montana State is there and the city has people from all over. I can appreciate your desire to move west. I escaped by the skin of my teeth after my husband passed away in 1995. After spending 15 years in the mountains of NC, I made the jump to Montana. This week last year we were on the road in our van pulling a horse trailer. After 3 months near Billings, my son and I settled in Livingston, just east of Bozeman. Now is the time to buy in Bozeman. Rentals are impossible and there is a critical shortage of affordable housing in the entire state. That said, condos and single family homes are going up all over Bozeman and interest rates are still low.

As already warned, be prepared for culture shock, be willing to agree to disagree and move on. There are some terrific churches and Christian schools where you would likely make friends quickly, if indeed you enjoy church. Otherwise, there are plenty of other venues for meeting people and making friends.

Montana winter will be a massive shock to your system, but you will acclimate fairly quickly, 2 to 3 years. This year is going to be relatively mild, good year to move out. The coldest month is usually December. Don't let it scare you. The lowest temps usually hold for at most a week. Winter is fairly dry and the snow fluffy. Not the wet, miserable mess of snow in the east, and no ICE! Dress appropriately and you'll have no trouble.

If your're from the south, sweet tea is VERY hard to find, and you won't find much in the way of Southern food. I miss my grits! Sweet potatoes are $1.50 a lb here, and I don't think I've ever seen fresh turnips or collards in the grocery stores. :-( I was raised in Miami, but born in JAX. My grandparents were born in SE GA and central AL.

I adjusted quickly and love it here. It won't be an easy move for you, but it will be worth it. Best wishes for you!

Tracey

Last edited by hymnsinger; 10-11-2015 at 12:50 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM

387 posts, read 554,870 times
I think it all depends on budget. If you are in any of the university towns (Missoula, Bozeman, Billings), you would definitely find a more diverse setting. I don't think you would have any problem settling in other places in terms of prejudice (people here are very accepting), but in terms of if your kids felt weird being the only children who looked different in their class, that would be a different matter. But in terms of those larger towns, there are lots of kids from different backgrounds because of the university, as well as the professors, and various events. There are a lot of Native American events in the state so there is a focus on diversity.

Bozeman is very expensive, Billings is further on the other end of that spectrum, and Missoula somewhere in the middle. The public schools in the state are great, so you should be able to feel good about your kids getting a good education if you stay involved. It all comes down to finances quite honestly. I think anyone can do well here in the weather because it is sunny most of the year, and many people move here from Texas and Arizona and California and enjoy the winters, especially if they adopt some winter sports like snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, or anything else.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:39 AM

347 posts, read 521,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Bozeman would be a good choice for you. Montana State is there and the city has people from all over. I can appreciate your desire to move west. I escaped by the skin of my teeth after my husband passed away in 1995. After spending 15 years in the mountains of NC, I made the jump to Montana. This week last year we were on the road in our van pulling a horse trailer. After 3 months near Billings, my son and I settled in Livingston, just east of Bozeman. Now is the time to buy in Bozeman. Rentals are impossible and there is a critical shortage of affordable housing in the entire state. That said, condos and single family homes are going up all over Bozeman and interest rates are still low.

As already warned, be prepared for culture shock, be willing to agree to disagree and move on. There are some terrific churches and Christian schools where you would likely make friends quickly, if indeed you enjoy church. Otherwise, there are plenty of other venues for meeting people and making friends.

Montana winter will be a massive shock to your system, but you will acclimate fairly quickly, 2 to 3 years. This year is going to be relatively mild, good year to move out. The coldest month is usually December. Don't let it scare you. The lowest temps usually hold for at most a week. Winter is fairly dry and the snow fluffy. Not the wet, miserable mess of snow in the east, and no ICE! Dress appropriately and you'll have no trouble.

If your're from the south, sweet tea is VERY hard to find, and you won't find much in the way of Southern food. I miss my grits! Sweet potatoes are $1.50 a lb here, and I don't think I've ever seen fresh turnips or collards in the grocery stores. :-( I was raised in Miami, but born in JAX. My grandparents were born in SE GA and central AL.

I adjusted quickly and love it here. It won't be an easy move for you, but it will be worth it. Best wishes for you!

Tracey
With all due respect, this simply isn't true. Yes, it's true with places like Bozeman, Kalispell/Whitefish, Missoula, and maybe parts of Billings, but in many rural communities (with the exception of ones affected by the oil boom, which is now declining), there are plenty of cheap houses and rentals can be found if you look hard enough.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 PM

Default Just a little information to answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
A few questions for you:

2) What's your budget?

Hello Patches,
I always loved the natural setting of mountains and beautiful views. With that being said I think Montana is the perfect place for that. I also love the slow life style and the feeling of community again that is why I am choosing Montana.
My budget just depends on what is around me. When I first move to Montana i will be renting and I am sure I will be looking around. I want approximately 3-5 acres of land. But that will be once I am acclimated to Montana. I will need to find a job but hopeful that will come sooner than later as I am a nurse and part college professor. I will be coming to visit Montana in the early part of December for a look and search for rental homes. I am not afraid of the weather as before I lived in Florida I was born and raised in Chicago which is very harsh winters. I look forward to being a part of the community and growing as a person within that environment. I am very accepting of others. I know it is a major part of my personality.
Thank you for the information. I look forward to a new life in a new environment.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post

Tracey
Tracey,
Thank you so much for the insightful information. Actually I am looking forward to a total change in environment. This sounds like the perfect place for me and family to take root and become a part of the community. Again thank you so much.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM

Default Thank You Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
What I have bolded is the key statement, in my opinion. No matter what your race or ethnicity is, as long as you make a decent effort to assimilate, you should be fine. Here in Montana it becomes problematic when people from more diverse, multicultural areas openly frown on the Montana way of life and outlook. For example, if you're not into guns and hunting, fine, but openly frowning on this kind of activity is a good way to get shunned. Also, constantly reminding white people here of their "white privilege" won't win you any friends either. Now, before I'm condemned as some intolerant redneck, well, yes, I'm a white man and I absolutely refuse to hate myself for it, which I know is contrary to the desires of our cultural marxist elite! That being said, I love Latino culture and speak Spanish (still working on my comprehension, so I still have a way to go). Sometimes, I wish there were more people to practice my Spanish with here, but it's not something I whine to others about and I certainly don't condemn the state of Montana or my fellow Montanans for not having a large bilingual population! If having a large bilingual population was that important to me, I would have stayed in the large, urban area in which I used to live.

To sum it up, if you're going to move here, prepare to assimilate. If having a large, multicultural population where assimilation is discouraged and where the message of "celebrate diversity" is promoted, Montana definitely is NOT the place for you.

p.s. Yes, we are a largely white state, but we do have a significant Native American population.
Antonio
Thank you so much for the information. I am pretty accepting of others and have a moto of live happy, live free, and let drama go. Therefore I accept different life style readily and even want to learn from others. I think Montana is a great place and I am prepare to assimilate and be acclimate to a new life style that is Montana. Again thank you so much.
Peace and blessings

Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
I think it all depends on budget. If you are in any of the university towns (Missoula, Bozeman, Billings), you would definitely find a more diverse setting. I don't think you would have any problem settling in other places in terms of prejudice (people here are very accepting), but in terms of if your kids felt weird being the only children who looked different in their class, that would be a different matter. But in terms of those larger towns, there are lots of kids from different backgrounds because of the university, as well as the professors, and various events. There are a lot of Native American events in the state so there is a focus on diversity.

Bozeman is very expensive, Billings is further on the other end of that spectrum, and Missoula somewhere in the middle. The public schools in the state are great, so you should be able to feel good about your kids getting a good education if you stay involved. It all comes down to finances quite honestly. I think anyone can do well here in the weather because it is sunny most of the year, and many people move here from Texas and Arizona and California and enjoy the winters, especially if they adopt some winter sports like snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, or anything else.
Senah,
Thank you for your information. I am so thankful. I look forward to living in Montana. I have noticed as I searched for rental properties online Bozeman is higher than Billings. But from what I can see Bozeman is very much in the mountains with views of mountain. That may be the case in billings however it is just not display on the picture in which are posted on the rental properties. I am coming to look in Decemenber and I am very excited.
Thank you again

Peace and happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana