U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,565 times

Advertisements

Hello again!

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about!
Regarding the self-sufficiency, as long as there is a good internet connection I would be fine, I have a job that can be done anywhere online.

To the poster who mentioned the other Muslim poster - thanks a bunch, I'll try to contact him.

Although , it is not necessary for me to only be with people from my background. The town I live in now is 97% white anglo saxon, I moved here after university and fell in love with its pace of life. I haven't encountered any negative situations yet and everyone has been lovely.

Just a small point though - I have never and would never presume to tell anyone, let alone a casual acquaintance how to live or what to do with their lives. The same religous freedom I have, I of course extend to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:36 PM

113 posts, read 119,962 times
I think you would be fine in a town like Whitefish- People there are more tolerant of other cultures due to so much tourism. Unfortunately, there are a lot of close minded people throughout the state that would look upon you negatively for wearing a Hijab, which is probably true anywhere in the US.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 AM

629 posts, read 1,440,911 times
This will probably echo what some others have said.
1) While I don't think you'll encounter a lot of outright racist or religious issues, I don't think that Montana will feel nearly as welcoming as the UK or anywhere else in Europe.
2) Good internet connection and 'miles and miles away from a city or town' usually do not go together. As mentioned, you may need to go with a satellite internet connection in that case, and those are slow and very expensive because they cap data limits.
3) If you do want to give it a shot, start with some of the more liberal cities like Missoula, Bozeman or Whitefish. Rent (DON'T BUY) for at least a year first and do so in an area close to town. Use that time to explore different areas when you're not working and then you'll be able to make an informed decision as to whether a remote rural area is really right for you.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,977,591 times
We have dsl on our place in very rural southeastern MT. Internet speed & availability varies widely in the state, it is worth checking. We have also used both Wild blue and Hughes satellite internet as backup with varying degrees of success.

I can not guess how you would be received.
I find towns that have more people regularly moving in and out, such as places with colleges and large government employers, tend to be more friendly to newcomers and are less threatened by them. Insular little spots might not have welcoming residents regardless of religious affiliation or ethnicity. They just wouldn't like anyone moving into "their" community.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:37 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
I've seen folks wearing hijab and various other traditional dress in both Bozeman and Billings areas, both recently and back some decades ago. No one pays 'em the slightest attention. Saw quite a few folks in saris and turbans in the Boise area, too.

Tho it would be nice if I felt like I could go up to one of 'em and say, hey, that's real pretty, tell me more about it!

Old 10-22-2015, 08:33 PM

3,284 posts, read 4,019,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBee90 View Post
Hi all!

I'm a 25 yo Black Muslim hijab-wearing woman living and working in the UK (dual citizen).

I've always been in love with the Montana scenery and landscape and the sheer beauty of the state

My whole life I've lived in huge cities but I've always had this dream of upping and moving to a rural area near the mountains, my family and I went there on a camping trip in Montana a long time ago and it was so stunning I knew I'd go back eventually.

When I've mentioned this to my friends and family they seem somehow shocked and say how racism and anti-islam notions are very prevalent in Montana and that I'd always be seen as an outsider/never accepted etc. not to mention a woman living alone in an area she's never really been to before.

Is this in any way true? I'm friendly and welcoming but pretty much a reserved person and more or less keep to myself and I'm looking to live a simple life.

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I'd love to live somewhere quite rural and miles and miles away from a city or town.
I'm questioning if this post is either sane or real.. However, a black hijab wearing (very religious, obviously) woman living all alone in rural Montana?? Hhhummmmmmmmmmmmm.......

People on City Data, I find to be overly welcoming and a bit delusional. THey may mean well and feel they are sharing and honest, sober and bipartisan view of where they live (or have lived), but many seriously will not know the reality of their speculations or suggestions. None of these people are black, hijab wearing people living in rural Montana. Although, many have given some sane suggestions of living in Missoula or Bozeman. If you are a religious person who hates living in cities though, Missoulan life is going to get old fast, especially when all your friends will be very liberal, anti-religious, progressive types who you will sooner or later find a great barrier with at the personal level. Even though Muslims I have known can be accepted and not have their houses burned down by these liberal , progressive types, very rarely can they have long-lasting and established friendships with these type of people. If you are more of a new -age, hip, kinda Muslim who can wear a bikini as easily as a hijab, can pray to Buddha as easily as Allah, then maybe Missoulans will be up your alley.

If you are a religious Muslim, here is some issues I must confront you, as a SINGLE, BLACK MUSLIM, Hijab wearing woman:
1. Where will you get Halal food, which is the only food religious Muslims are allowed to eat? I'm assuming you will have everything shipped in to you, as there is no Halal shops or restaurants I know of in Montana, especially RURAL Montana.

2. Where will you attend mosque, as all religious Muslims are expected to be part of a mosque or some type of Islamic center.

3. What will become of your romantic life? As you know that it is harem for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim man and there is not too many non-Muslim men out in rural Montana. Are you asexual? Sorry to be blunt here, but I know this is going to be a reality.

4. Do you seriously think you will not stick out like a sore thumb?

5. Montanans are tolerant, but because of amount of terrorism, etc, they read on the news, you are going to stir up worries in many of these small town Montana folk. Just think if a white woman walked around uncovered wearing a Harley Davidson shirt with an American flag in Saudi Arabia or Sudan how much attention she may attract. You will attract the same, but in reverse. Heck, I am Jewish and still would probably not wear my kippa and tallit in public in rural Montana, even though I may think people are accepting. Yes, many will be accepting , friendly, but it only takes one person to attack you to make you dead or wounded. It's the kind of place if people don't know you, they are already a bit suspicious of you, but to be dressed in a full hijab, you are going to raise eyebrows and stir up some emotions.

Miles and miles away from a city or town.. Umm... You never did bother to say how you will make a living out in the middle of nowhere Montana. The foreigner and black part alone will make you a bit of an outsider, although most blacks I know (without an anti-white attitude) do very well there. However, wearing a hijab will definitely make your business prospects also a bit more complicated in RURAL Montana.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 10-22-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 10:57 PM

347 posts, read 335,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I'm questioning if this post is either sane or real.. However, a black hijab wearing (very religious, obviously) woman living all alone in rural Montana?? Hhhummmmmmmmmmmmm.......

People on City Data, I find to be overly welcoming and a bit delusional. THey may mean well and feel they are sharing and honest, sober and bipartisan view of where they live (or have lived), but many seriously will not know the reality of their speculations or suggestions. None of these people are black, hijab wearing people living in rural Montana. Although, many have given some sane suggestions of living in Missoula or Bozeman. If you are a religious person who hates living in cities though, Missoulan life is going to get old fast, especially when all your friends will be very liberal, anti-religious, progressive types who you will sooner or later find a great barrier with at the personal level. Even though Muslims I have known can be accepted and not have their houses burned down by these liberal , progressive types, very rarely can they have long-lasting and established friendships with these type of people. If you are more of a new -age, hip, kinda Muslim who can wear a bikini as easily as a hijab, can pray to Buddha as easily as Allah, then maybe Missoulans will be up your alley.

If you are a religious Muslim, here is some issues I must confront you, as a SINGLE, BLACK MUSLIM, Hijab wearing woman:
1. Where will you get Halal food, which is the only food religious Muslims are allowed to eat? I'm assuming you will have everything shipped in to you, as there is no Halal shops or restaurants I know of in Montana, especially RURAL Montana.

2. Where will you attend mosque, as all religious Muslims are expected to be part of a mosque or some type of Islamic center.

3. What will become of your romantic life? As you know that it is harem for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim man and there is not too many non-Muslim men out in rural Montana. Are you asexual? Sorry to be blunt here, but I know this is going to be a reality.

4. Do you seriously think you will not stick out like a sore thumb?

5. Montanans are tolerant, but because of amount of terrorism, etc, they read on the news, you are going to stir up worries in many of these small town Montana folk. Just think if a white woman walked around uncovered wearing a Harley Davidson shirt with an American flag in Saudi Arabia or Sudan how much attention she may attract. You will attract the same, but in reverse. Heck, I am Jewish and still would probably not wear my kippa and tallit in public in rural Montana, even though I may think people are accepting. Yes, many will be accepting , friendly, but it only takes one person to attack you to make you dead or wounded. It's the kind of place if people don't know you, they are already a bit suspicious of you, but to be dressed in a full hijab, you are going to raise eyebrows and stir up some emotions.

Miles and miles away from a city or town.. Umm... You never did bother to say how you will make a living out in the middle of nowhere Montana. The foreigner and black part alone will make you a bit of an outsider, although most blacks I know (without an anti-white attitude) do very well there. However, wearing a hijab will definitely make your business prospects also a bit more complicated in RURAL Montana.
These are all excellent points. I just want to note, though, that she said all she needs for her job is a strong internet connection. However, I raised some of the same questions you did. I think there is an small Islamic center in Bozeman. Beyond that, I know of no other mosques or Islamic centers in Montana. I know, FOR SURE, that there is nothing resembling a mosque in the rural areas, which is where she wants to live. I also asked how she will be able to deal with the fact that there are no Halal markets here. She hasn't answered these questions.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
There's a a lot of overlap between halal and kosher foods. I doubt that would be a huge problem.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 AM

3,284 posts, read 4,019,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
These are all excellent points. I just want to note, though, that she said all she needs for her job is a strong internet connection. However, I raised some of the same questions you did. I think there is an small Islamic center in Bozeman. Beyond that, I know of no other mosques or Islamic centers in Montana. I know, FOR SURE, that there is nothing resembling a mosque in the rural areas, which is where she wants to live. I also asked how she will be able to deal with the fact that there are no Halal markets here. She hasn't answered these questions.
Missed the part about the internet business. Then again, I wonder about the internet availability in rural Montana. I also have a home-based internet business and have found it very hard to get any reliable and fast service in the more rural areas of not only Montana, but also here in Washington and Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
There's a a lot of overlap between halal and kosher foods. I doubt that would be a huge problem.
Don't know if Muslims eat Kosher food or not.. Then again, I cannot imagine there are many kosher butchers, food stores or restaurants in Montana, especially rural Montana.

Anyhow.. Wonder if our 3 post rural Monatanan loving hijab wearing black Muslim will ever post again Kind of funny timing, but another single black female from Florida who is also new to the forum also is inquiring about living in rural Montana. Not saying these are the same people, it's just a bit of a coincidence.

Renewed and need a New Start (Where to live in peace as a Black Woman in Florida)

These two should get to meet one another. They both also have a similar style of writing and both joined City Data around the same time.

It's nice to see how Montana is attracting such a multi-cultural variation of people..

Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM

1,056 posts, read 961,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

Anyhow.. Wonder if our 3 post rural Monatanan loving hijab wearing black Muslim will ever post again Kind of funny timing, but another single black female from Florida who is also new to the forum also is inquiring about living in rural Montana. Not saying these are the same people, it's just a bit of a coincidence.

Renewed and need a New Start (Where to live in peace as a Black Woman in Florida)

These two should get to meet one another. They both also have a similar style of writing and both joined City Data around the same time.

It's nice to see how Montana is attracting such a multi-cultural variation of people..
You raise a good point - I wondered that myself after I responded to the initial post and had time to think about it. The only way I can see a hijab-wearing black Muslim woman coming to live in Montana is if (1) her husband/father is transferred for a job and she comes along or (2) she's part of a MSU/UM student exchange program. And in neither of those cases would the woman choose to live in a rural area.

Probably you're right and this is a troll poster. If not and she is for real, then I think she's watched The Horse Whisperer too many times and has some romantic notion about Montana living. If this woman is for real, there's no way she would survive more than one winter in rural Montana before running back to the UK.

Last edited by patches403; 10-23-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana