U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 PM

387 posts, read 355,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Here we go again, painting with a broad brush. The influx of wealthy Californians in the early part of this century was slowed down by the recession. Lots of them moved away. But other Americans also find Montana an attractive destination:

Migration/Geographic Mobility - State-to-State Migration Flows - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

In 2014 the estimated immigration from CA (yes, a huge state with lots of people who are desperate for a more sensible life) was 5,468, but WA supplied a much higher percentage of their population, an estimated 5,354 new immigrants. And other Western states are also big contributors:
Arizona: 1,873
Colorado: 1,899
Idaho: 1,788
Oregon: 1,953
Utah: 1,972
Wyoming: 1,552

Check out the Kalispell map in the other thread--it is actually a good indicator of immigration all over the state, apparently.

I usually abstain from leaving comments in the California-bashing threads, of which there have been many in this forum. But once in a while the sheer amount of hostility gets to me.
I wouldn't say that answering a question is necessarily "California-bashing". For example, though I think you are right that a lot of people from Washington moved here, my experience has been that the people from Washington moving here bring a lot less money per household/per capita than those moving from California, especially if you are talking about moving into certain population centers. This is important if we are talking about driving up real estate prices, which is essential to discuss when someone is considering moving here. The OP is asking why prices have been driven up. It is a fact that this influx has been caused by out of staters moving in, and that now makes it very hard for others who are not moving in from states where people have a lot more money, to buy property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:35 AM

822 posts, read 570,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
How far outside the employment centers of those cities does one typically need to go to find a more reasonable cost of living?

This depends on the town. Here in Helena, there are VERY expensive parts of town with homes that have an average price of 300k and up. However literally right down the road will be an older neighborhood with homes that have an average price of 150k. East Helena is 3 miles away and you can find nice homes in the 120k range. It all depends on what you want.

A word of warning, if you want a bunch of property and you aren't going to "work" the land, you will have to go into the more rural areas to keep costs down. What allot of the people I know are doing is buying a home in town, and then buying recreational property out in the country for camping, hunting, horseback riding, etc. You can still find land for cheap doing this. I know someone who purchased land next to state land for hunting. The land is remote and you would never be able to build on it.

This is the path my wife and I are going to take as it makes more sense economically.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM

5,588 posts, read 4,827,148 times
If californians money is soo offensive , why don't you turn it down ?
It's your own greed that invites the problem. opportunists.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 119,121 times
For the record, the Californians that move into the Flathead valley are the nicest folks imaginable. They bring with them great attitudes and boost our ecoonomy with jobs and their own spending habits. The building industry can "thank" Californians for the work they would not otherwise have had. Most of them are involved in schools, churches and community events. More so than the "natives" that want to keep "things" the way they have "always" been- low pay jobs, uninvolved parents, alcohol binges, etc..... Just my observation.

I know too many people that would have had to move out of state for work if Californians hadn't hired them- BTW, none of them have any interest in ever logging again.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
I don't know an exact answer to your question. I will say this, though. I'm 100 miles from one of the major Montana cities....and where I am, it's dirt cheap. I'm sure you can find towns closer to a big city that are just as cheap, if not cheaper. Does that help?
I think you mean to say..... you are in the Boonies of Montana...... then it is dirt cheap... You are getting a Taste of the kind of posts. You do in Chicago forums..... you don't like it......

Its Cheap in the boonies of any state and more depressed small towns. Unless demand from others moving in. Begin the cost increases from schools and Taxes to real estate prices.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 PM

347 posts, read 331,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I think you mean to say..... you are in the Boonies of Montana...... then it is dirt cheap... You are getting a Taste of the kind of posts. You do in Chicago forums..... you don't like it......

Its Cheap in the boonies of any state and more depressed small towns. Unless demand from others moving in. Begin the cost increases from schools and Taxes to real estate prices.
Wow! I'm very flattered. I have my very own stalker! Contrary to what you imply, my posts must mean a lot to you, and I must be getting under your skin. I'm in the boonies, and love it. I can see the rocky mountains from my house, along with with plenty of hunting, hiking, and fishing opportunities available. There's nothing depressing about that. I'll take that any day over the cesspool of crime and corruption that is Chicago.

Last edited by Antonio Montana; 12-18-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM

7,631 posts, read 8,907,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I was contacted today about a job in Montana. I have visited before and would love to live there, but good lord is the cost of living high in your state. Any ideas why this is the case? The only reasons I have thought of are due to the remoteness (added costs of shipping) or Californians moving in and driving up the prices.

Or is there something else I'm missing?
It's all of the above. What helps the situation even less are the wages that are often lower than the national average.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:03 PM

8,927 posts, read 8,007,178 times
Quote:
I was contacted today about a job in Montana. I have visited before and would love to live there, but good lord is the cost of living high in your state.
It is not really really high. It is just barely by 2.6% above national average. National average is half the states above and half the states below. You have to consider temperature ranges and the wind we can get, homes have to be sturdily built, and in some parts of the country they can be very much less costly to construct. It costs more to bring goods and services to the cities in the state, as it is more remote than some states, and is 4th largest state in the nation with only just passing 1 million people. There are metro areas in the U.S. with several times that number of people. Our biggest metro area is just over 100,000. So overall we are almost average in the country, not a high cost of living place at all.

Cost of Living by State | Research the cost of living in your state

Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 PM

7,631 posts, read 8,907,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is not really really high. It is just barely by 2.6% above national average. National average is half the states above and half the states below. You have to consider temperature ranges and the wind we can get, homes have to be sturdily built, and in some parts of the country they can be very much less costly to construct. It costs more to bring goods and services to the cities in the state, as it is more remote than some states, and is 4th largest state in the nation with only just passing 1 million people. There are metro areas in the U.S. with several times that number of people. Our biggest metro area is just over 100,000. So overall we are almost average in the country, not a high cost of living place at all.

Cost of Living by State | Research the cost of living in your state
Even if the cost of living isn't high, it doesn't help that the wages are dismal. Either way, I know I wasn't the only one in Montana who struggled for that reason.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM

387 posts, read 355,091 times
Cost of living depends on where you live in the state - it is drastically different depending on that factor. However, if you are in certain cities, it is hugely inflated for Montana. For example, if you are up in Havre or down in Great Falls or Dillon, you can get a nice house for a reasonable price, and even some land especially outside of a place like Great Falls at a cost that makes sense. In terms of pay, if you can find a job at a hospital or university etc, though the wages are lower than they would be for the same job in most other states (and the stats do show that Montana really lags behind in terms of medical and academic pay scales as well as many other industries - don't get me started on our poor fish and game guys and gals!), the cost of living isn't crazy different because some things are cheaper here.

However, if you are in Missoula or especially somewhere like Bozeman, the jobs pay very little, and the cost of living is just terribly, terribly high, and many people move from places bring inflated prices with them. For example, a house in town in Bozeman is more expensive than what you would pay for the same house on the same amount of land in Seattle or Minneapolis, yet the pay for your job will be much, much less. That is why so many people cannot afford to stay here. If you look at a listing for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house in Bozeman and compare it to the same house in down-town Dillon (also a college town), it will be 2-3x as expensive.

So, there are remarkable differences depending on where you are, and when you factor in the differences in pay (for example what you would make as an RN on a med-surg floor in a 50,000 person town in Colorado vs. in the same job in Montana), it can be hard to scrape by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or